The .45 G.A.P. - Page 2

The .45 G.A.P.

This is a discussion on The .45 G.A.P. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering buying a Glock 37. The idea of a .45 in a M17 sized gun sounds good to me. I'll most likely load it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The .45 G.A.P.

FLM
    I'm considering buying a Glock 37. The idea of a .45 in a M17 sized gun sounds good to me. I'll most likely load it with Ranger T ammo, but does anyone know if Wally World sells .45 GAP in the WWB 100 rd boxes?

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    My predictions.........The GAP will die a fairly slow death(5-7 years)....... The .357 SIG will hang on about the same amount of time.......The 10MM will out live me but never be more popular than it is now.........The .204 will go puttt,puttt and fizzle in 3-5 years or so.......But---- when my buddy that is a huge stockholder in Marlin told me about 7 or so years ago that they were gonna come out with a .17 with the help of Hornady I promptly told him that it didn't have a snowballs chance in hell. OOPS !! -------------

VIP Member
    Recently, Winchester has solved the bullet weight limitation of the 45 Gap due to its short length. Now 230 grain high pressure loadings are available that closely approximate the power of the low pressure 45 ACP. I have yet to chronograph the Gap round in the shorter barrels, and I suspect that the published figures may be optomistic. I've documented what happens to the 45 ACP as the barrel length changes from 5", 4.25", 4"", 3.5", and to 3".
    The shorter GAP round will more easily fit the existing 9mm and 40sw magazine wells, and the GAP's power will beat both the 9 and 40 hands down. But if one wishes to push the pressure of the old 45ACP, even just a little, in suitably strong, modern, 1911 style pistols, well, do the math. My hard cast and heat treated 225 grain round noses at 1000 fps will penetrate two car doors, and my 230 grain Hornady XTP at 950 fps is spectacular on gallon plastic jugs of water. For penetration, the Cor Bon DPX is the only factory load that can penetrate car doors. Rapid fire with nearly 500 ft lbs per shot can be a blast once one gets into the swing of it. In my opinion, the 45 ACP will rule.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

gunthorp, I agree with your above post. When will people stop comparing the GAP to a max loaded ACP. The ACP wins with every bullet weight. Also I would guess with every bbl legnth. We will see if there is a place for the GAP. Maybe,but not in my safe. The ACP's would throw him out.----------

VIP Member
    Thanks, and right now it would probably fail the wall-mart test. Make sure what you shoot can be fed off the top shelf, unless you reload and can stockpile components. You may not even be able to barter for the GAP ammo. The slight reduction in the circumference of the frame actually induces more angular offset when gripped after the trigger finger is placed correctly. Tacoma PD found the single stack 1911 style (Kimber Pro Carrys) had the least offset and lowest failure rate of 29 pistols tested.

Maybe, just maybe, if the Tacoma PD had adopted the 460 or 500 instead, the gremlins would disappear on their own. Can you imagine pictures of their duty belts in the mainstream media?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Administrator

GAP Ammo Selection

Well, the top ammo makers sure are not falling all over themselves up to provide interesting & diverse GAP ammo these days.
    Looks like the RSSZ predictions are going to be right on the mark.
    I have some honest reservations about buying any pistol where there is a likelihood of it being chambered for what would be a possible future "oddball/uncommon round"
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

One of the things at the top of my"I wish that I knew the WHOLE story" list is........ What was Glock thinkin'?? I mean,while sittin''round the big oak table in the board room did some 27 year old guy with a masters degree in mechanical engineering say,"hey,I got an idea,lets bla bla bla. With Glocks resources they could have done so many things. How about a short,light carbine(kinda like the Beretta)? How did they come up with......hey,I know,lets make green guns,and tan guns,and desert camo guns,and oh yeah,lets come up with another caliber that will fit in between the .40S&W and the ACP." They probably figured that everybody else was doin' it. Take for instance,AE,S&W,Sig,STW, CORBON,Casull,Rem. with their Short mags,long mags.,etc.,etc. We all have many more calibers than we need(mybe I should just speek for myself). We don't need the Gap. All we really need is a 1911 ACP and a bolt .30-'06. I'm right,right ??---------

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I do own the Glock 37 and absolutely love it. I have owned and shot 45ACP for the last 20 years and as much as I like the round I was never fond of the guns that launched it. They never really fit my hands that well. On the other hand I have always loved the way a Glock fit, felt and shot for me. I was always more accurate with the Glock then any other pistol I had ever shot. Now I am not a small man 6' 1" and my hands are large enough that x large work gloves are a tight fit. The Glock 45ACP just did not fit me well, the reach to the trigger just felt awkward. So I was left with the Glock 22 filling the void for me. I was never a 9MM fan. No offense to any one that uses it but I was not impressed. Then along comes the Glock 37. The frame size that is prefect for me and ballistic equivalent to my beloved 45ACP. It seemed like a match made in heaven. First time I fired 37 I had achieved a state of Nirvana. Recoil just like my 45ACP but I was holding groups much tighter then ever before. I could not be happier with a pistol then I am with the Glock37. Now the down side is I can't run to my local Wally world and pick up a box of ammo yet, but I can order enough off the internet to keep me well supplied. A lot of the arguments I keep hearing on the internet revolve around people talking about the Gap never replacing the ACP. Maybe it is not intended to replace, but supplement the market with another alternative. It may not be for everyone but for me it was the answer to a question I had asked many times. Why can't Glock give us a 45 caliber in a smaller frame that will fit the masses? Thanks Gaston for listening.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator

Glock 36

Well, I have a chopped GLOCK 36 in .45 acp & it has the WORST grip feel of any pistol I've ever held or shot. But, I love the pistol & I do carry it but, not all the time.
    I'm betting that the Glock 36 would sure feel better with a .45 GAP size handle.
    The Glock 36 feels exactly like you're holding a rectangular piece of wood with 2 fingers but, it's a super reliable tight, & hard hitting tiny little .45
    Personal Ergonomics would be a good reason to buy a Glock in 45 GAP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links