Hollow Points for Safety or Extreme Damage

This is a discussion on Hollow Points for Safety or Extreme Damage within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hivoltage Why do most of you keep hollow points in your gun? We had a murder case locally ( a teenage girl ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Hollow Points for Safety or Extreme Damage

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    Why do most of you keep hollow points in your gun?

We had a murder case locally ( a teenage girl no less ), and the prosecuter kept stressing that the shooter loaded her gun with hollow point bullets to inflict as much damage as possible.

I use them mostly to control how far the bullet will travel after it hits something, like not going through walls.
    that prosecutor is banking on the ignorance of the jury, any decent attorney who knows how to work firearm defense cases will end that line of crap from the prosecution real fast.

2. Remove Ads

When you only have the pathetic number of ft*lbs available from a handgun (of any caliber), you want all of them to be deposited in the target. If the bullet doesn't stop in the target, then it's taking some of those ft*lbs with it. If hollow point bullets do indeed expand better than ball ammo, then they should have a better chance of stopping in the target.

Plus, they look bad-ass and often are packaged with bad-ass sounding names. So you go that goin for ya.
    Lee 1973 likes this.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

How is pathetic defined as it pertains to handguns? A hundred foot/pounds? A thousand foot/pounds?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    If you have already consedered a weapon and ammo, for defense, you use the most lethal round you can. If it is not hot, it is not worth loading.

I agree with Post #2. The DA is in the Brady Bunch.

Semper Fi,

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Oh, I really don't care if I spell real good or not! (yes, good instead of well)

I don't use them for safety. I use them because they are generally more effective bullets in a personal defense situation. Being safer is just a pleasant byproduct of the bullet being able to expend most or all of its energy within the target and do more damage.

here in KY, my conceal permit also covers weapons like clubs, saps, various types of large knives, automatic knives, brass knuckles etc. I wonder what the prosecutors arguments would be if I used some brass knuckles or better yet, a 4.5" folder to defend myself? I'm not sure I know how to humanely stab someone in the neck or cave in someone's skull.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post

the prosecuter kept stressing that the shooter loaded her gun with hollow point bullets to inflict as much damage as possible.
    So do I............:)
    ~America~ Born July 4th,1776- Died, Election Day 2008

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    Harold Fish in Arizona went to prison, partially for exactly that unrefuted bafflegab by the State Perecutor.

TV reporter was questioning the jurors and that was a major point in their thinking.

Nevertheless, a COMPETENT defense attorney should be able to dispatch such deceipt. (one would hope!)

--Travis--

...Thankfully, Mr. Fish won his appeal and is currently a free man.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I use them for stoppage potential and safety. However, I also carry 4 HPs up top in the magazine. The rest are hardcast or bonded rounds. I figure after the first 2-3 and IF no hits, the BG or BGs are taking cover. Then I will use rounds to penetrate car doors, walls, etc. I do carry a 9mm but have started to carry my .357 Sig more. In semi-autos, if it isn't a 10mm, I feel most comforted by a .357 Sig. It hits stuff harder than my .45 or my 40. Still, it's always 4 HPs up top. I do this if in town or if hiking. The only time I use all bonded or hardcast is if I'm hiking in areas Bears frequent. That said, I have only seen one and when it saw me, it hightailed it outta there like it had seen Lucifer.

I use JHP's because I want to stop the aggression against me as quickly as possible. I am now 63 and enjoying the fruits of my lifelong labors. I'll be danged if I'm going to be injured or killed by someone who is too lazy to work and chooses to steal! I don't want to hurt anyone but I refuse to be a victim. ⚡

Red face Really?

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    that prosecutor is banking on the ignorance of the jury, any decent attorney who knows how to work firearm defense cases will end that line of crap from the prosecution real fast.
    when i purchased my firearm i researched and studied them first! If you cause me to pull mine on you best believe they are hollow points to ensure you will only get so close before you are most definately enterrupted in the attempt to harm me or my kids. Personally if i shoot someone and only mame them then i would be sued as well as arrested so i go for gusto!!! Cops shoot to kill under the pretext of officer safety but the public is expected to first be assaulted or violated in some way and then you have pc to shoot! If i am in the mind set to "shoot to kill" then i would be charged ridiculously but my police officer ex-husband, j field with hspd gets away with rape, stalking, harrasment, drug abuse, etc. Yeah i love my hollow points!!! Rite to bear arms!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    ...Thankfully, Mr. Fish won his appeal and is currently a free man.

Good reminder from Mas Ayoob about the lessons learned from the case: click ...

The gunnies on here will remember that the prosecutor made a huge deal of Fish using a 10mm Kimber pistol and Federal hollow point ammunition to protect himself, convincing at least some on the jury that the large caliber gun and the somehow extra-deadly bullets were indications of malice. The appellate court didn’t argue with that, apparently feeling that such arguments are within an adversary’s purview. Lesson there: be able to articulate why you, like most cops, choose a powerful handgun and effective ammunition to defend yourselves and your loved ones.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    Good attorney: "I'd like to call ____ (name of local law enforcement firearms trainer) to the stand."

"Sir, are you familiar with ____ (insert name of local police department)?"

"Can you tell me about the ammunition issued in that department?"

"I see. So they are using hollowpoints, just as my client did when she defended her life. Interesting."

"Moving on, I'm wondering about the hollowpoints used by the ____ police department. As the firearms trainer, can you tell me some of the reasons a police department might choose to issue hollowpoint bullets rather than traditional round-nose bullets?"

"I see. Based on your expertise, you believe that hollowpoints provide better safety for innocent bystanders and a lower number of overall shots fired per incident. Thank you for your time."

:)

pax
    Are you accepting new clients?
    ".... If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atotaltrip View Post
    when i purchased my firearm i researched and studied them first! If you cause me to pull mine on you best believe they are hollow points to ensure you will only get so close before you are most definately enterrupted in the attempt to harm me or my kids. Personally if i shoot someone and only mame them then i would be sued as well as arrested so i go for gusto!!! Cops shoot to kill under the pretext of officer safety but the public is expected to first be assaulted or violated in some way and then you have pc to shoot! If i am in the mind set to "shoot to kill" then i would be charged ridiculously but my police officer ex-husband, j field with hspd gets away with rape, stalking, harrasment, drug abuse, etc. Yeah i love my hollow points!!! Rite to bear arms!!!
    Police do not shoot to kill. They shoot to stop the threat. So should you.

Definitely. Interrupted. Maim. Right.

There is absolutely no credence to the supposition that you will be sued if the person you shoot survives but will not if he is killed. The standard will be whether or not the shooting was justified, not what happened as a result of the shooting.

Welcome to the forum.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atotaltrip View Post
    Interesting outlook...welcome to the forum.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links