loading my own defense ammo

This is a discussion on loading my own defense ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any info on reloading one's own defense ammo ? I'm thinking it's not a good idea as far as liability purposes but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: loading my own defense ammo

Does anyone have any info on reloading one's own defense ammo ? I'm thinking it's not a good idea as far as liability purposes but I was wondering if there is any law against it or if anyone loads there own defense ammo ?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    It's probably not the best idea, but I've seen no laws against it. The quality of factory defense ammo is so high now that there is no reason to risk trusting your life to something you cooked up and haven't thoroughly tested, or to try to save a buck.

Use fresh, quality factory ammo designed for personal defense, and you won't regret it - with your life, or with an overzealous DA.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I believe that it is advisable to not do so. The liability issue can be discussed a real hassel if you are looking at a smart lawer across the room.

I have reloaded for more than a few years and can build a more accurate reload for my guns than I can buy off the shelf, but just exactly how much accuracy is really needed for SD? As for power--Yep, I can keep pouring on the pressures until I reach the point of blowing up a nice firearm, but do my dead level best to stick with something well within the limits of safety and prudence.

Bottom line: Buy your SD loads and try to match them with your reloaded practice rounds.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post

Bottom line: Buy your SD loads and try to match them with your reloaded practice rounds.

That sounds like good advise to me.

JD
    Administrator
    I ran a search on the topic and came up with two older threads, (no we're not closing this one) but they do make for some good reading on this topic.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...s-factory.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...mmo-court.html

Thanks Jd That Took Care Of The Hhmmm ??? What If ??? Question That Has Bothered Me For Sometime .

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I think that you'll find that the "seal" on factory ammo will beat out reloads any day. Bullet push-back is an issue, and I've only seen it (to date) on reloads.

Quality control on good SD commercial ammo will be more consistent and higher than the majority of us can maintain with reloading. [NOTE: I'm sure that there are a few reloaders with equipment, skill and patience to match commercial product, but probably not the vast majority of us.]

Practice with reloads, spend you money on SD carry ammo as others mentioned above.

You will have enough to deal with in the aftermath of a shooting.

Do not borrow trouble. Do not add another issue to deal with.

A problem avoided...is a problem avoided.

My advice to you is to go on over to LFI's excellent website and drop an old friend of mine, Mas Ayoob an email and ask him about this; he will give you some good advice that you should follow regarding using any kind of reload ammunition for self-defense.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I guess as long as their not depleted uranium bullets,what difference does it make,most people say factory loads are more reliable ,but i've had a few dud factory rounds,I also know people who load their own defense loads they trust their reoading skills and if you know what your doing your reloads are every bit as reliable as factory.Your using manufactured bullets the same bullets manufacturrs use,gunpowder the same stuff manufacturers use,primers sme primers manufacturers use.So is the prosecution going to try to say I can make a moe powerful kiling projectile in my home than commercial stuff?you can only load just so "hot" at which time chamber pressures go up and velocity goes down,After that you just blow your gun up.

The decision not to carry hand loads as defensive ammunition because a prosecutor might use that as an article of "intent" to do physical harm to a person ... thereby making a wrongful death or criminal charge easier to prove against a citizen is a decision made upon a fallacy.

The fallacy is called Ad Baculum

The Ad Baculum is a fallacy with the following pattern:

1. Y is presented (a claim that is intended to produce fear).
    2. Therefore claim X is true (a claim that is generally, but need not be, related to Y in some manner).

This line of "reasoning" is fallacious because creating fear in people does not constitute evidence for a claim.

It is important to distinguish between a rational reason to believe (RRB) (evidence) and a prudential reason to believe (PRB) (motivation). A RRB is evidence that objectively and logically supports the claim. A PRB is a reason to accept the belief because of some external factor (such as fear, a threat, or a benefit or harm that may stem from the belief) that is relevant to what a person values but is not relevant to the truth or falsity of the claim.

An example would be: "I don't think a Red Ryder BB rifle would make a good present for you. They are very dangerous and you'll put your eye out. Now, don't you agree that you should think of another gift idea?"

In consideration of the hand-load-vs.-factory-load dilemma, other aspects need to be considered as well:

[1] Who profits from the instigation and perpetuation of the idea that the use of hand loads will ensure easier criminal prosecution of a person who is the principal actor in a justifiable shooting?

[2] What (if any) hard evidence exists (court case citations in which a court case turned on such circumstances) to support the "factory-load-safety" argument.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Quote Originally Posted by nuparadigm View Post

[2] What (if any) hard evidence exists (court case citations in which a court case turned on such circumstances) to support the "factory-load-safety" argument.
    Most criminal cases are resolved in negotiation with the prosecutor or the judge, and in those off the record meetings where 99% of all cases are resolved I can see this becoming an issue.

If the case if disposed of (either with a dismissal or acceptance of a plea) before going to trial, the matter never makes it into a case reporter.

No trial, no case cite.

Even if the discussion revolves heavily around the use of a specific bullet or gun or other piece of gear, all that discussion is done with the prosecutor in his office or in the Judge's Chambers; and all of that is off the record in that their is no court reporter taking down what is said.

The results of the negotiation are put on the record in that dismissals of charges and guilty pleas are done on record, but the negotiations themselves? No.

Negotiations aren't necessarily private, as I know some Judges who have a dozen or more lawyers all in chambers at the same time, so all counsel present hear what is going on with everyone else's cases, but no record of these negotiations is made, and therefore nothing to search and cite exists.

I doubt very much you are going to find a great deal of case cites on this issue; however, absence of proof is not proof of absence.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

I doubt very much you are going to find a great deal of case cites on this issue; however, absence of proof is not proof of absence.
    Nor is it proof of presence.

Most criminal cases are resolved in negotiation with the prosecutor or the judge, and in those off the record meetings where 99% of all cases are resolved I can see this becoming an issue.
    There is no way we can have hard evidence of what goes on in secret ... all we can have is speculation. Which is exactly what you are doing;
    I can see this becoming an issue.
    I'm curious about 99% of all criminal cases being resolved by negotiation.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I'm curious about 99% of all criminal cases being resolved by negotiation.
    Maybe I can offer some insight?

A few years ago I took the current chief justice of our district court to task for "filing charges" on drug dealers and gang bangers caught with "illegal possession of a firearm". State law mandates 1 year minimum mandatory sentence with no good time off/early release/etc. for "illegal possession of a firearm".

His answer to me was that he was given 35 criminal cases/day to dispose of and if the perp was going to face a minimum mandatory 1 year sentence they would all opt for a jury trial. The judge said that if he has >5 jury trials/day, the entire court system would die under it's own weight due to the continuing backlog piling up.

Thus, he explained, that they MUST plea-bargain almost all the cases (yup, in private negotiations) and drop the gun charge in order to "make the system work".

I don't like the answer, but I certainly can understand it. Mathematically, it must be that way or the entire system grinds to a halt in short order.

As proof of how inefficient the system is, I have a stack of Subpoenas to serve today from a US District Court in a criminal matter that was filed 3 years ago! They are just about to hear testimony for this case.

There is no way we can have hard evidence of what goes on in secret ... all we can have is speculation. Which is exactly what you are doing;
    It is not speculation when you have first hand knowledge of the subject matter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links