.357 overpenetraton?

This is a discussion on .357 overpenetraton? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Should I be concerned with over penetration if I use 158gr jacketed softpoint instead of the standard hollowpoint?...

Thread: .357 overpenetraton?

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

.357 overpenetraton?

Should I be concerned with over penetration if I use 158gr jacketed softpoint instead of the standard hollowpoint?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    IMO tank, no - as a SP should deform sufficient to gain some limited expansion tho perhaps not to the degree we'd expect from an HP.

Circumstances will as ever alter results - clothing, distances, angles etc. I'd expect over penetration possibilities from HP's in some situations. I do also like LHP SWC's in 158 for SD but have not found any factory loads as yet.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Placement is everything in overpenetration.

Even a .45 ACP, not known for its depth, speed, or flying through schools, will pop in one side and out the other if you do a COM hit in the upper shoulder or collarbone area of many folks from what I've gathered reading police reports and the academic journal for the coroner dudes.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Thumbs down

Yes, Soft point .357 will give almost no expansion, and over penetration is a definite hazard in soft tissue, if no major bones are impacted.

Fine for game where it is desirable to have both entrance and exit wounds...not so good when you own the bullet on the street, and everything it touches.
    Last edited by KC135; September 18th, 2005 at 06:25 PM.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Lead Moderator
    if you are worried about over penetration, check out the loads made specificlly for LE/ CCW. The rounds are designed for less over penetration and better performance.

Links