Best Place to Buy Quality Ammunition

This is a discussion on Best Place to Buy Quality Ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, I was just wondering where most people bought their ammunition (both practice/self-defense) from. Does everyone buy their ammo online (seems like the cheapest option)? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey, I was just wondering where most people bought their ammunition (both practice/self-defense) from. Does everyone buy their ammo online (seems like the cheapest option)? If you do buy online what are some sites that you found to be reliable in providing you with what you need (please post the url to the site you like). Thanks so much!

I buy my practice ammo at Walmart. Even though their prices have gone up recently they still beat the prices that I can find online. Academy Sports also has good prices (at times better than Walmart) but the closest one to me is about 40 miles. If their prices go up then I will be shopping the net.

For defensive ammo I just purchase that at my local gun shop. I don't go through enough of that to make a difference. I just fire enough to make sure that it feeds correctly and is accurate enough for defense.

Now, I'm looking into reloading. The best prices (Walmart and online) are just going up with no apparent end in site. I like to shoot too much to keep paying these prices so reloading seems to be a good option. I don't have any intention of reloading my defensive ammo though. I'll leave that to the manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by TLeath View Post
    I buy my practice ammo at Walmart. Even though their prices have gone up recently they still beat the prices that I can find online. Academy Sports also has good prices (at times better than Walmart) but the closest one to me is about 40 miles. If their prices go up then I will be shopping the net.

For defensive ammo I just purchase that at my local gun shop. I don't go through enough of that to make a difference. I just fire enough to make sure that it feeds correctly and is accurate enough for defense.

Now, I'm looking into reloading. The best prices (Walmart and online) are just going up with no apparent end in site. I like to shoot too much to keep paying these prices so reloading seems to be a good option. I don't have any intention of reloading my defensive ammo though. I'll leave that to the manufacturers.
    Sorry for being so simple about my post, but all of this fits me to a tee! My indoor range is pretty reasonable also.

Pretty much same as above. Here lately you just about have to get it when you can find and afford it though.

B.T.W. Welcome from central Mississippi.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I use Midwayusa.com and cheaperthandirt.com
    I like midway but they seem to go out of stock a lot on some of the ammo I like to shoot. Cheaper than dirt has very good prices. Sometimes it's worth the few extra bucks if you add up the shipping costs, the hassle of proving your of age, and the time it takes to get to you.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Ammunition to go (ammunitiontogo.com) usually has good prices and service to match.

Practice comes from Walmart/Online. Although I try to reload most of it.

I buy defensive/hunting ammo from my local gun store.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I buy my ammo wherever I can find a good deal. Bulk 7.62x39 I buy from Sportsman's guide. If I am buying a small amt of 7.62x39 I go to Joes (formaly known as G.I. Joes). the price is about same as mailorder except they limit you to 5 boxes per visit.

I buy UMC target ammo at Bimart. They occasionally have it for $39.99 per 250 box which is good.

As far as defense ammo, I buy speer 9mm 124 +p online for not much more than the UMC stated above. I cant tell you where though for fear of them raising prices or limiting availablity.

SCgunguy right here on this web site for Ranger T Ammo
    Support your local gun shop.

Hey thanks for all the good info everybody!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Practice come from Natchez Shooters Supplies or Georgia Arms (their "Canned Heat" factory reloads). Defensive comes from Eric the Ammoman, because he has the best prices on the LE versions of Federal EFMJ (124gr 9mm and 200gr .45 ACP---their "personal" SD versions are 105gr/185gr, respectively).
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Sportsmansguide, and Georgia Arms. go to georgia arms.com they have great prices on ammo cans of 1000 rounds and their smaller quantities are good to. Especially the 357 sig rounds. I buy it at the gun show so I don't have to pay shipp. I usually by at least 2 ammo cans full every gun show I go to. As ammo is steadily going up , when I get extra money I will buy it when it is cheap
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

VIP Member
    Look for sales at sportsmanguide otherwise wallmart.
    Georgia arms also has some good prices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links