How much ammo do you keep on hand, revisited (MERGED)

This is a discussion on How much ammo do you keep on hand, revisited (MERGED) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In one of the threads, someone asked how much ammo you store in the house. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...unds-home.html Most people stored 500-2000+ rounds. The question I have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much ammo do you keep on hand, revisited (MERGED)

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

How much ammo do you keep on hand, revisited (MERGED)

In one of the threads, someone asked how much ammo you store in the house. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...unds-home.html Most people stored 500-2000+ rounds.

The question I have to ask is, is that of defensive rounds or just target stuff? Having 1000 rounds of Speer Gold Dots would be quite expensive.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

In my case the bulk of my inventory is practice ammo bought at Wal-Mart. My inventory of Speer Gold Dots is much smaller.

Largely training ammo, like 95+%.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

300 rounds. I enjoy reading about all the saving, but when it comes time to live my own life - I realize that this is all superficial.

1. What if they make ammo illegal? A) It will be illegal to shoot anyways.

2. SHTF? Unless you're military, or ex - the chances of you actually USING 2000 rounds of .45 are quite slim. Let alone you wouldn't be running around like Master Chief with a handgun - you'd most likely be hunting, and MAYBE using a shotgun or rifle for defense.

3.What if ammo costs go up? A)When they go up, you're probably going to shoot less anyways. Unless you go to the range everyday, then you won't be losing any money by not keeping a lot of ammunition on hand. That ammo is considered reserve anyways - so you either won't shoot it, or end up replacing it with MORE expensive ammo anyways.

4. What's the point? A) Honestly, in a shtf scenario - I'm going to want a lot of rounds for my shotgun, and rifle. Do you really think that you're some kind of hero and are going to take down an entire squadron with a pistol? Most likely you'll be avoiding all confrontation if possible, and be trying to put as much distance between yourself and the BG as possible. Pistol will be secondary.

5. The biggin! -Marines carry ~300 rounds for the primary and NO PISTOL. Army carries around 61 rds (16 in the gun, 3 extra mags) for their model 92. Don't think any REAL Rambo's exist out there. Unless you own an M60 with the chains wrapped around your chest....

My contacts all stress bulking up, but for what? I am trying to bulk up on MAGAZINES, and ammo for my primary...not my last resort. If you plan on selling the ammo when SHTF, and have all that extra money to spend now- knock yourself out. But couldn't that money be going to other things? If not other firearm parts or supplies - to fun or housing ...or retirement? (lol)
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; March 4th, 2008 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

I keep enough for me. I might keep one box in the safe, but the rest is outside the home. Maybe 10% PD and the rest target rounds. I loaded one of my G19 magazines with Speer 124gr+p GDHP's yesterday matter of fact. The price on the 50rd box was $11.99! Boy! Those were the days!

As of now 600 rounds 5.56, 500 rounds ranger .40, I shoot all I buy right now! With my new kimber joining the family I have 14 rounds of .45 LOL! I must get some more big bullets!!! 60 rounds 7mm mag, 40 rounds .270, 30 rounds .300 wssm, 40 00buck, 5000 .22.
    I really am going to spend my extra on AR mags, 5.56, and quickly on .45
    I have no where near enough, every where you look dealers are saying that there will be price increases every quarter!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Only a few % is defense ammo, the rest is ball.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    5% PD, the rest is ball - which will work quite nicely if needed.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Most of the ammo is target. I would grab a couple hundred rounds of 9mm winchester white box every time I drove near a Walmart. (stock up before prices got out of hand) I have about 1300 9mm FMJ, 200 JHP. I reload .45acp and have about 1000 .45 LSWC and 100 Fed Hydro Shok. I usually reload for my buddies, so I always have a good amount on hand depending on the training session I'm taking..

For my carry pistols it is about 50-50, my carry ammo changes very little the target ammo gets replaced as I use it. For my rifles I try and stock a variety of different hunting ammo for each rifle; for instance for the 30-30 I have 125gr,150gr and 180gr. That way depending on what I hunt I vary the ammo. Some of the older rifles there is only 1 weight of bullet manufactured ;25-35 117gr.
    I try and keep at least 1 box of ammo per firearm but would prefer to have at leas 500 rds per. I buy ammo whenever I can afford it.

Hold on for a while I only have 10 fingers and 10 toes. This will take a while
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

I keep a good supply of personal defense ammo on hand. I tend to use up the practice stuff, so I don't have much of a supply. For example, I got a good deal on a case of 500 .45 ACP Winchester Ranger SXT 230 gr. JHP a while back, giving me about 700 rounds of that variety, which is primarily stockpiled, except for what I cycle through the mags. On the other hand, I do have about 2000 rounds of S&B 5.56mm ball for AR-15 practice, and about 500 rounds of WWB for 9mm.

I have a fair amount of .38 special, .357 mag, .45 Colt, 7.62x39mm and .303 British, but need to get more .308, 12 gauge, and .30 carbine and .40 S&W. Could also stand to get some practice ammo in .380 acp.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    1 defensive round for each gun, 1 pratice round for each gun........oh yea, I only have one gun
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    1 defensive round for each gun, 1 pratice round for each gun........oh yea, I only have one gun
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Two bricks of .22LR; anywhere from 200-1000 rounds of FMJ centerfire, depending on how recently I have ordered; and maybe 100 rounds of PD.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links