+p+ 40 S&w

This is a discussion on +p+ 40 S&w within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The subject of this and +P 40 came up with many members stating it doesn't exist and many called it a marketing Ploy. Here is ...

Thread: +p+ 40 S&w

+p+ 40 S&w

The subject of this and +P 40 came up with many members stating it doesn't exist and many called it a marketing Ploy. Here is all I know about the ammo. I bought some +P+ from Georgia Arms at a gun show. I buy from them often and they are a reputable company. I will include a pic and read the info on it because it is hard to read. At the bottom it reads
    THESE CARTRIDGES ARE LOADED TO HIGHER PRESSURE AS INDICATED BY THE +P+ MARKING ON THE CASES. USE ONLY FIREARMS RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER FOR THE +p+ AMMO. ALSO 155GR GOLD DOD DOESN'T GENERALLY TRAVEL AT 1300FPS IN A 40. SOUNDS MORE LIKE 10MM STATS..

Please give me some input. This sounds like +P+ to me more pressure more velocity.
    Attached Images
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

2. Remove Ads

Buffalo bore ammo list :

Item 23A/20: 155gr. Speer Uni Core @ 1300 fps (582 ft. lbs.) Per Box of 20
    $22.04
    Order Now

they list as 40 S&W +P

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Personally I think it is a sales pitch. I would like to know what gun manufacturer prints in their manual for a 40Cal that it is okay to shoot +P+? With the amount of cheap POS guns on the market, it is stupid for an ammunition company to sell rounds to the public loaded over SAAMI specs. I don't understand why someone shooting a 40 feels they needs +P+. If you put a 40 cal round loaded to SAAMI specs in the right place, it's gonna get the job done. If you hit them in the arm or leg even with a "+P+" you probably not going to kill them unless they bleed to death. Personally, I'm not shooting anything out my gun that is rated over SAAMI specs because for one, it could be very unsafe and 2, I don't see any scense in the extra ware and tear on the gun, 3 there is no need to. I think these ammo companies are playing into those who feel that having the biggest and badest bullet is going to make them a better shot. I'd rather have a bullet travling at 800FPS that hits right where I'm aiming then a bullet travling at 1300FPS that I can't hit crap with.

It has been my understanding that "+P+" means it is hotter than all established SAAMI specs.

I believe SAAMI rates standard pressure and also "+P", but manufacturers use "+P+" to denote that it is even hotter than saami specs.

I agree with you shizzlemah. That's why the round is traveling well over 200 more ft per second than the standard round. It is a heavier grain bullet with more velocity than the 357sig round. More velocity= more energy. I agree the bullet doesn't need to go faster to be deadly or accurate, I just put it out there for some who didn't think there was such a thing. Weather or not it is safe and it is needed or not is open for debate and I'm sure everyone has an opinion. I have some of the rounds and personally bought them to carry in my CX4 Storm when I am camping etc. Would make a great defense round coming out of a 16 inch barrel. Imagine what the velocity would be then. Should handle deer well and even take care of a bear or other animal that could cause problems for you. I personally would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the weapon you plan on shooting it in to get their suggestion. Of course they probably will not recommend shooting something that may put extra stress on their product. I figured it would be a use as needed bullet and not very often. I would love some thoughts from members that reload to get their opinions as they would know best.
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

I find this kinda humorus.

The .40 Smith was by many in the "Know it all" world of centerfire pistol calibers as the "cure" to a weak 9mm Luger lacking stopping power. Manufacturers quickly started bulking out +P and +P+ 9mm cartridges enhancing the overall effectivness of the so called "Puny 9mm Luger"

Now we have the .40 S&W coming around to increasing their chamber pressures also in the lighter grain weights. Is this a sign that maybe for once the "know it alls" have realized that the .40 Smith is really a ******* caliber. It's no better than a good high pressured nine, has less mag capacity, and hasn't proven to be a "One shot stopper" as was desired by the agency responisble for it's development in the first place........................Uhhhhh............... ..FBI ???

I'll still take a Corbon DPX +P 9mm Luger over any 180 grain .40 Smith any day of the week.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Lightbulb The Original +P+ .40 Caliber.......

10m/m.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Why do people always try to make a cartridge do something it wasn't designed for and may be dangerous?

If you want 10mm performance, buy a 10mm.
    If you want .44mag performance, don't heat up your .357, buy a .44mag.
    If the .44mag doesn't do it for you get a .454 Casull, 460S&W Mag, 500 Mag...

If you don't like the performance of your .40S&W, sell it and get the caliber that works for you.

Personally, I don't worry about it. I don't even typically use +P ammo. The ammo I shoot will make a hole where I point it. That's about all you can ask of your ammo.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    Why do people always try to make a cartridge do something it wasn't designed for and may be dangerous?

If you don't like the performance of your .40S&W, sell it and get the caliber that works for you.

Personally, I don't worry about it. I don't even typically use +P ammo. The ammo I shoot will make a hole where I point it. That's about all you can ask of your ammo.
    +1+

I know Georgia Arms is a reputable company. However, they are by not means mainstream and their products cannot be achieved through your average means. Plinking, killing paper, or some good huntin loads is as far as I will go with a company like that. Self Defense: IMHO I'm going to stick with the main brands that have been making ammo for a LONG time. (and as far as I see it no mainstream company makes a +P+ 40) If i'm wrong please let me know. The Big Companies that have been doing all this a very long time Ergo-the Federals, Remingtons, Winchester, Hornaday, I would even say COR-BON etc.....they have also done a lot more research the the topic and have
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Even if the weapon can physically take the strain, shooting hotter ammo will increase the rate of wear and tear. As for .40 S&W being short and weak, well, when the bullets are placed well, it has worked well enough for officers in my agency. When shot placement is poor, results are poor. What a surprise. We do not have a single standard load, and buy our own. FWIW, I would carry .357 SIG if given the choice, as I like my P229 pistols very much. It seems to me that the .357 SIG is the perfect "hot" .40 S&W. State police officers around here are issued .357 SIG, and it works well.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post

+2+ Very well said.

Skygod, if the "know it alls" were trying to make the 40 cal bigger and bader by making +P or +P+ for the 40, then Remington, Hornady, Speers, Federal, and Winchester would be selling it. It is only a few small ammo companies trying to push it. That doesn't mean anything. If you are confident in your 9MM, then by all means, that is what you should have. There is no doubt that it is an effective round.

The +P+ stuff is a tool like anything else. I wouldn't run a strady diet of it, but if you needed a little extra comfort... In a carbine in the woods for example.

Also, remeber that guns are tested with really hot proof loads. +P+ should be below those levels. Of course you can expect more wear and tear on moving parts from the extra energy.

Of course if we all owned 35146 guns, we could have one for every mood. But I'd have no problem carrying +P+ in the woods. On the street a reg'lr .40 will do the job just fine.

I'd prefer to not have to explain to a jury about why I carried non-standard, 'non sporting' ammunition to stop a 2 legged critter.

Just my 2c though- do what you like, just dont shoot me with any of it :-)

Good shooting ends gunfights. An extra 200 f.p.s. doesn't. +P+ ammo doesn't. Once you reach the threshold of genuine "defensive" calibers (.380 acp need not apply) then all the chronograph battles become pretty moot. Modern bullet designs & powder compounds have given us scores of very capable ammo in a range of calibers. I'm with Mountain Packer, if you have doubts about the .40 S&W's effectiveness...carry a shotgun.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have all kinds of guns and this is one that I enjoy shooting and carrying on certain situations. The +P+ give a little extra. That's all. I wouldn't shoot them regularly. Also, the point of the thread is there are +P+ rounds, just clarifying that. They are hotter and that's why they are +P+ . Like I said If you choose to shoot them is another topic. But they do exist! I guess the same thing could be said of the Buffalo Bore Brand ammo and loading to the limits. It's all in what you want.
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

Links