Maximum Effective range of a 9mm carbine - Page 2

Maximum Effective range of a 9mm carbine

This is a discussion on Maximum Effective range of a 9mm carbine within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My 9mm carbine isn't scoped and I need to hold over about 42" at 200 yds (going from memory here). How many clicks (or how ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Maximum Effective range of a 9mm carbine

My 9mm carbine isn't scoped and I need to hold over about 42" at 200 yds (going from memory here). How many clicks (or how much holdover) do you need for 200-400 yds?

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Max 9mm Carbine range

Using my sub 2000 with qual rail forend and a 3x9 compact P4 reticle scope , I cn keep most shots in a 10" group at 200 yrds.

This is using the black bullets from precision bullets. its a 147 gr with 5.3 of Power Pistol and OAL of 1.115. Unique powder did not produce the same accuracy. FMJ 125's produced a slightly better group . I did get a few flyers with the 147's and suspected a few tumblers by the looks of a few holes - with Unique powder.

I will be trying a slighty lower charge to get the velisity down a bit > I did not chono these 147's but I can hear the sonic crack down range so i know they are breaking 1,100 fps.

3" at 200 with 50gr

I kept about 8 of 10 shots in a 3" target at 200 with the Hi-Point. I was using Civil Defense 50gr JHP. I would trust it on a torso sized target to 300 or more with that load. even with a 145 if your not hitting past 100 work on your mechanics. I love this gun, 200 plus rounds no issue, I wouldn't take it hunting per se (same goes for the AR) but as a defensive SHTF piece its all you need for half the price of AR.

Wow, this thread has legs! I wish I had somewhere to see how far out I could get hits with my Beretta Storm carbine. The cheap 115gr Federal Aluminum stuff I have been buying says on the box that it has a muzzle velocity of 1145 fps and 335 ft lbs of energy with 975 fps and 243 lbs at 100 yards. It states just under 9" of drop from the muzzle at 100 yards. I've seen folks on youtube vids get hits on steel at around 200 yards gun wizard Jerry Miculek had a video where he popped a balloon at 1,000 yards (!) with a 9mm. I know from metallic silhouette shooting that a 9mm can ring steel at a good distance but won't knock them down. Certainly a 9mm could be lethal to a hundred yards, no question. I wouldn't be surprised if a heavier loading like a 147gr might still have potentially lethal energy at 200.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by 1775Concord View Post
    I kept about 8 of 10 shots in a 3" target at 200 with the Hi-Point. I was using Civil Defense 50gr JHP. I would trust it on a torso sized target to 300 or more with that load... as a defensive SHTF piece its all you need for half the price of AR.
    Better run your numbers. Your little 50gr. JHP has a terrible ballistic coefficient. At 300 yards it's going to drop about 7 feet, and retain roughly 75 lb-ft; ~3/4 the energy of a .22LR.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Wow, this thread has legs!...
    Certainly a 9mm could be lethal to a hundred yards, no question. I wouldn't be surprised if a heavier loading like a 147gr might still have potentially lethal energy at 200.
    Very much so! A good 147 gr. JHP will retain well over 200 lb-ft at 200 yards. It'll drop about a yard, but is still a very usable load.

Let's face it - 9mm is not an optimum long-range caliber BUT if I HAVE to get in a 200-300 yard shootout with them, I'll take the 147's and would hope that the BG has the 50 gr. gimmick ammo!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I haven't taken my 6951 out past 100, but...I'd say it's plenty accurate.

This group was shot on its first outing; 100 yards, iron sights (well, MBUS, so...plastics, technically...)

image.jpg

Ammo was 115gr FMJ; American Eagle, if memory serves. I was actually shooting high; that group was shot using a 6:00 hold at the base of the silhouette; sights has been zeroed at 25 yds.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I used to use 147 grain in my CX4 Storm, but have switched to 124 due to availability and the way they shoot.

It's possible the 147 might be better outside 100 yards, but I'm not worried about it. The chances of me hitting anything past 50 yards under combat conditions are pretty much zero anyway. The rifle is far more accurate and has far more effective range than I am capable of taking advantage of under a stress shooting situation,

In my experience, anything more than 75 yards will just piss the guy off.
    You don't use a rock to take out an Abraham's.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links