Maximum Effective range of a 9mm carbine

This is a discussion on Maximum Effective range of a 9mm carbine within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to determine the range in which a 9mm carbine rifle can be accurately used? Any input would be greatly appreciated....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Maximum Effective range of a 9mm carbine

I am trying to determine the range in which a 9mm carbine rifle can be accurately used? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

About 100 yards is about the absolute max. I'd not consider it for routine use beyond 50 to 75. Just no energy left in the round.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I would personally say 75-100 yrds...

Here is some more info...
    Effectiveness of 9mm carbine - TheFiringLine Forums
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Moderator
    Good advice above,

I would consider 100 meters the max effective range.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    With a 25 yard zero, using a typical load, in this case I used a Hornady 9mm 124 grain XTP traveling at the average speed of 1250 FPS, the bullet has a drop of 36.4 inches at the distance of 170 yards, with a muzzle energy of 235.8 foot pounds.

Defiantly not a long range round. I used 170 as the maximum range because the bullet drop is about half of the average size man...meaning that if was was standing at 170 yards away and you aimed for to top of his head, you would hit him in the belly.

You might be able to do it if you practiced, but hitting a man with any consistency at much past that range would be a stretch.

This was calculated using the JBM Ballistic Calculator.
    You can check it out and play with it here.
    http://http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ca...culations.html

I've been using it for years for long range shooting. Its pretty accurate and cuts all of the BS out of the arguments and speculation.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I will echo the earlier statements regarding accuracy. For me, 100 yds is about it. I can hit a man sized target (B-26) pretty regularly at that distance. Anything more and misses out number hits.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

I've been using it for years for long range shooting. Its pretty accurate and cuts all of the BS out of the arguments and speculation.
    That link is pure Gold HotGuns!! Thanks, Rex
    NewportReds likes this.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Uhh the link is dead. Poo!
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

VIP Member
    I use a Colt SMG with a 10.5" bbl. Within 50m, it is viciously accurate (I'm zeroed at 50). Out to 100m, torso hits are still pretty darned easy. Too far beyond that, and - while I'm sure the weapon is capable of making hits - the 9mm just doesn't pack enough oomph for me to feel comfortable. FWIW, I think a pistol caliber carbine is one of the best candidates for a 0 magnification optic like an AimPoint or an EOTech...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    With a 25 yard zero, using a typical load, in this case I used a Hornady 9mm 124 grain XTP traveling at the average speed of 1250 FPS, the bullet has a drop of 36.4 inches at the distance of 170 yards, with a muzzle energy of 235.8 foot pounds.

Defiantly not a long range round. I used 170 as the maximum range because the bullet drop is about half of the average size man...meaning that if was was standing at 170 yards away and you aimed for to top of his head, you would hit him in the belly.

You might be able to do it if you practiced, but hitting a man with any consistency at much past that range would be a stretch.

Hi HotGuns,

Thanks for the info. However, it is at odds with info provided at The Maryland AR15 Shooters Site

The table shows a bullet drop of only 19.3 inches at 175 yds with a 25 yd zero. I only have a 100 yd range to shoot at but the bullet drops I have experienced at 100 yds is pretty close to the Maryland AR15 Shooters Site. I don't doubt the output from the Ballistic Calculator but I was just curious about what could cause such a difference in data? Would the difference in bullet weights cause that much of a difference?

Thx!

Edited to add: The second table shows data using a 147 gr subsonic round and this showed a 39 inch drop at 175 yds. Maybe the difference in bullet weight can cause the large difference!

Senior Moderator
    JBM - Calculations

A change in ANY of the plugin data may show a significant change in the results...even something as simple as a change in Ballistic Coefficient of the bullet.

The only way the calculator will work is to use what you have to plug in. I used a fairly common load as an example. Bullet weight, speed in FPS and and zero range makes a lot of difference.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

kpw
    I've shot my Hi-Point carbine and some of my handguns at 200 yds. The only time I can get consistent hits are prone or from the bench. From prone over a pack, I could usually get about 80+% torso hits. With the G19, G27 and G22 that dropped to 40-50%. Energy drops but it's still a much better poke than a .32 ACP at the muzzle. I haven't done this in a couple of years and it sounds like it's time to try it again.

my highpoint is accurate past 100 yards, even with 115 gr +p+ i would still say that 100 yards is max ..

Senior Moderator
    100 yard max?
    With a pistol perhaps.

I think a carbine with a decent scope ought to be able to do a lot better.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Except for HotGuns max right because of drop, HotGuns is right. There is no reason a 9mm round isn't a 170 or 200 yard round out of a carbine. At 200 yards, it has considerably more energy than a .380 95 gr. bullet @ 800-900 fps at 1 foot, these being velocities of some of the compact 380s carried for defensive use.

Scoped, I find it easy to make head shots with my Beretta Storm CX4 at 100 yards.
    At 200, dinner plate patterning is about the best I get.
    At 300, lots of complete misses on human sized silhouettes.
    At 400, I end up hitting the target with about as many rounds skipped off the ground as are struck directly.

Given my abilities and those of the platform and scope combination, I would guess that for me, the round becomes and area target round at around 225-250 yards when I can no longer reliably hit a human sized target.

9mm isn't an idea longer range caliber, but few pistol calibers. However, I would not suggest that it is limited to just 100 yards. It is useful beyond that range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links