I have a funny feeling.

I have a funny feeling.

This is a discussion on I have a funny feeling. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a funny feeling that whenever possible, most of us are carrying what is quite frankly might sound like an absurb amount of ammunition ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a funny feeling.

I have a funny feeling.

I have a funny feeling that whenever possible, most of us are carrying what is quite frankly might sound like an absurb amount of ammunition but for a very good reason. I know I am.

With 12+1 rounds of .40S&W handy with a reload for another 12 rounds, 5 rounds of .38 Special with 5 more rounds in the speedstrip (yeah I know...), that's 35 rounds of ammunition on my person.

I guess it only sounds silly out of context because the purpose of having all that ammunition is definitely not to be able to fire 35 times, it's just a consequence of understanding that changing magazines is the most likely way I have of clearing a malfunction with the primary gun, and carrying a BUG at the same time. I suppose I really don't need a reload for the BUG as the BUG is the reload, but I carry it in isolation sometimes so I try to keep up the reload habit.

I'm just curious if there's a common round count here. I figure for a lot of you it will be a number around 25-35, with some being way more and others way less.

Assistant Administrator
    Currently Euc - about home and office I am just 15+1. if going out then I often add the other 15 rounder so - for me that's 31 total.

Usual BUG (mouse-BUG!) is the NAA Mini in .22WMR - no reloads for that - have to take cylinder out!! That is anyways total last ditch.

If I have R9 in ankle or pocket then that'll be 6+1 and no spare mag. If that was primary (rare) then a two mag total and so 13 rounds only.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

So when you're "dressed up for a night on the town", you're at 36 rounds.

I'd like to hear more responses on this. I have this feeling like we're all within maybe 8 rounds of each other, discounting the outliers.

Well with my 1911 it's 8+1, a 7 rounder and then two 10 rounders. Grand total 36 rounds. Plus at least 50, usually 100 rounds in the car so I can reload magazines if it gets really bad. You know, just in case...

A1C Lickey

VIP Member
    I carry two guns a lot so it depends. Semi and revolver combo puts me at anywhere from 14-19 rounds handy. Two semis puts me around 26-30 rounds. Summer light duty may only be 5-10 rounds. 1911 only with a reload would be 15 rounds. So mine varies. Catch me in the truck and that's a whole different ball game.

-Scott-

VIP Member
    1911 8+1 plus 2 more 8's at 8 0'clock = 25 and Bug P3-AT 6+1
    Thats dressed up for me. Casual is just 8+1. I'm afraid that if I can't make good with 9, well, you guessed it.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Hmmm... I haven't been carryinglong, and at the moment I'm laid up so my carry scheme isn't getting much of a tryout.

However, my current plan is: Speed-Six .357 6 + 12 in speed strips, + NAA BUG .22WMR 6
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I'm just curious if there's a common round count here. I figure for a lot of you it will be a number around 25-35, with some being way more and others way less.
    I usually only carry ONE reload unless I think I might be heading thru Indian Country or I'm on a trip out of town. I usually carry a Glock M27 (.40) with the standard 9rd mag. But I always have a M22 backup with 15. So if you include one in the chamber and a topped off mag, that...yup.... 25 rds. OTOH if I'm carrying my Sig P245 with six + 1 that's seven rounds up front plus an 8rd P220 mag so that's only 15 altogether. But I plan on getting a new ParaOrdnance TAC-4 with 13+1 .45 and so a sp mag for that makes for
    27 B-A-D-A$-$ 45's!
    Last edited by ExSoldier; September 18th, 2005 at 03:38 AM.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I carry a Glock 23 with one spare mag, so that gives me 13+13 for 26 total. I just aquired a CZ 40P which I think I will use as my main carry piece. If so, I'll have only 10+10. I might go to two spare mags for the CZ. I also keep a BUG in the car, so if I'm riding in the car, I have 7 more. The BUG is a Sig 232.

Administrator
    I carry 8 + 1 G Dot - in my primary defensive .45acp firearm
    7 Glaser Safety Slugs (ancient habit of mine)
    7 extra Speer GD HPs
    8 .380 Gold Dot in the old ppk/s BUG

31 rnds total

My primary carry firearm is always perfectly maintained.
    My Stainless BUG Walther - tends to get a little pocket linty (at times) but, it always works.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Euc,

At the moment I own only a HK USPc in .40. If I could carry, that would be my choice of carry firearms, despite the fact that I might have a small issue concealing it (I'm a fairly skinny guy).

If I were doing that, I'd probably opt for a HK P2000SK as a bug, in ankle carry. The SK has an 8 or 9 rnd mag, plus the 1 in the chamber. Additionally, it can load the 12 rnd mags from the USPc. So, given the 13 in the USPc, the 9 in the P2000sk, and 1 reload 9 (12 rnds), we're talking 34 rnds of ammo. Toss in another reload, and now we're at 46.

If I need more then 46 rounds of .40S&W ammo, in two different HK pistols to get me out of a situation...I'm in DEEP crap!

This is all subject to change as I add new firearms to the collection :) I think either a SIG 226, Walther P22, or a Kimber TLE II/RL will be next, and I'm not sure which way to go. :)
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Wow, what a LOADED question! HaHa. I usually don't deviate far from simply what the weapon carries, in my case , generally 8+1. Extras in vehicle and on certain occasions such as camping, backpacking, etc. for survival reasons of food gathering. I've always found it harder to hit a squirrel with a .45 than a shotgun, lol.

Cool Always carry a backup reload (or a BUG)

Quote Originally Posted by jitmo
    I usually don't deviate far from simply what the weapon carries, in my case , generally 8+1. Extras in vehicle and on certain occasions such as camping, backpacking, etc.
    IF you carry for defense, ALWAYS carry a backup mag. If you need a gun, you're liable to need it a lot. Forget the stats that seem to suggest that the average civilian gunfight in self defense occurs at a range of contact out to seven yards and only lasts a few rounds. Forget the stats or risk becoming a stat. I think most folks here will support this opinion.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My normal load is 13+1 (plus 26 more) in .357 Sig these days and a S&W 296 (5 .44 special). My normal course of fire against three practice blue men is sub 4 seconds per magazine, typically in the 3.5 range. Driver carries less than 30 seconds of ammo, even if I stretch it. Police response time at best is 5 minutes. :)

With winter coming on, the number of reloads goes way up as I have a tendency to keep a full-time gun in the coat plus whatever I'm carrying as well as a couple more mags for everything.

If I'm having a bad day, my 'fishing' vest has eight mags that live in it, 4 for the .357, 4 for the 9mm, and 30ish shells for the 44mag.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Normal day, one backup mag for PO1, so that's 29 doses of felon repellant. If going somewhere a little more unusual, I might slip on of the Clinton mags in the back pocket, raising the total to 39 rounds. No BUG yet.... :(
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links