Speer 38 spl +p short barrel in plain box

This is a discussion on Speer 38 spl +p short barrel in plain box within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received a box of Speer 135 gr. +p short barrel 38 spl ammo in the mail. It is Speer part #23921. They are ...

Thread: Speer 38 spl +p short barrel in plain box

I just received a box of Speer 135 gr. +p short barrel 38 spl ammo in the mail. It is Speer part #23921.

They are 135 gr. bullets and have what appear to be the same hollow points as I have on their 357 short barrels.

The 357's came in a box that appeared to be a new box (graphics) than their plain 357's. They were clearly marked "short barrel" all over the box.

The 38's, on the other hand, are in an older style (graphics wise) box with no "short barrel" anywhere on the box. The Speer product #23921 is correct for the short barrels as far as I can research from the web.

But why are they not in the new box and marked "short barrel" as they should be?

Again - the product number seems to check out and it seems to be the same 135 gr. bullet as the properly marked 357' I also have.

Does anyone know what gives and why they are not in the box that they show on the web for the short barrel 38 sp. +p 135gr??????

I suppose it's OK. I just want to be sure since these are my carry rounds.

MARV

I just got off the phone with a guy from CCI. He says that they packaged some early stuff in the boxes without the new graphics. But all of the newest stuff is is the newest boxes.

He says that any 135gr. stuff is automatically the short barrel stuff. Also he confirmed that the part number was indeed short barrel stuff - no doubt about it.

Very polite and sure of his statements as well. I'm OK with it now.

MARV

Marvin

Yep, you have the real McCoy there. I have been using those for several years and it seems like every time I bought them they were in a different looking box, but they always have the correct part number on them.

The Speer product #23921 is a 20 round box. If you buy Speer product #53921, you are getting the exact same cartridge, except it is a 50 round box. The 50 rounder only costs a few dollars more than the 20 round box. Much, much cheaper cost per round.

You can get the 50 round boxes HERE. Their SKU # for product #53921 is CCI-38GD2 (you do not have to be a LEO to order from them - they sell to the general public)
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

Quote Originally Posted by johnisaly View Post
    Marvin

Yep, you have the real McCoy there. I have been using those for several years and it seems like every time I bought them they were in a different looking box, but they always have the correct part number on them.

The Speer product #23921 is a 20 round box. If you buy Speer product #53921, you are getting the exact same cartridge, except it is a 50 round box. The 50 rounder only costs a few dollars more than the 20 round box. Much, much cheaper cost per round.

You can get the 50 round boxes HERE. Their SKU # for product #53921 is CCI-38GD2 (you do not have to be a LEO to order from them - they sell to the general public)
    I wish I read this forum a week ago when I bought my 1st S&W J-frame airweight. I went to Gander Mountain and bought the last two 20rd boxes of .38 Gold Dots for $22/ea

Oh well, it's for the GF's ccw so I don't feel as bad but what a rip off compared to the link you just provided. Thanks!
    Why do you own a fire extinguisher when you have the fire department to protect you?

i dont know what the 357 short barrel bullets look like, but i was under the impression that the .38 loads had a deeper and wider hollowpoint in them.....

I have always understood that the 38's and the 357's use the same bullet in them. I just went downstairs and looked at both with my 2X glasses and, if there's any difference, I can't see it.

Of course there's a lot more powder pushing the 357's than the 38's (and perhaps it's a little different folulation).

But basically the idea is - same projectile, different speeds (AND RECOIL).

MARV

Links