Defensive Carry banner

How many types of ammo?

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  MaxLoad 
#1 ·
When looking at a post listed just a few threads down I got to wonder..
How many types of handgun ammo types are there? Not brands but types, like round nose/FMJ and so on..

Hope some one would clarify this for me..

#6 ·
Daniella, most of the different types of ammunition were developed for a specific purpose. Hunting, Self-defense, Target/Practice, Match, etc. And many of the SD rounds have very different characteristics. Some expand very quickly. Some penetrate more than others. And some perform differently when shot from different length barells.

Most folks start with one type and then experiment with other types to find what they prefer and what works best for their gun.

Many shooters put a heck of a lot of lead down range trying to determine the best type for them. The right one for you, or anybody else that carries, should be the one that works EVERY time in your gun. :smile:

#7 ·
So based on the link..is there a overview of the of the main purpose of the different
types?What does the Bronze point,Flat nose,Full metal jacket and Hollow point?
Do all of these also come in different weight?

When it comes to self defense..is a heavy bullet better then a light bullet?

And when it comes to the 9mm,40.cal.45.cal,10mm, and 357.how can we determine what would be more suitable for self defense?

Just trying to get a grip off all the different ammo out there..having some problems trying to explain my self here..Lets try with an example.

A bad guy with a bulletproof vest,level III A
How can we rank the Caliber of the ammo and then the grain of it?

Thanks for making a blond a brunette:rolleyes:

#8 ·
Just trying to get a grip off all the different ammo out there..having some problems trying to explain my self here..Lets try with an example.

A bad guy with a bulletproof vest,level III
That is the reason you practice two to the chest and one to the head.:yup:

#9 ·
Daniella, there isn't a magic caliber or a magic type of round. It will be dependant on shot placement and the resolve of the attacker.

Typically, larger bullets are better for self defense, as they provide a larger wound channel. But with modern ammo, any choice of JHP ammo will be about as good as you can get.

There just isn't that much of a difference between premium 9mm and premium .45. Use what you shoot most accurately. Any handgun caliber is insufficient for a guaranteed one shot stop. Period. I don't care what anybody says. If you start with the assumption that none of them are magic, it makes the choice a little easier.

I wouldn't worry about level 3 vests. If you are in that type of confrontation, run to your trunk and grab a 30.06, or better yet, keep running.

#15 ·
You're getting a lot of good info Daniella...
If there's a bottom line to ammo selection, as said earlier, it really depends on which gun you feel the most comfortable with, and which gun you can get the quickest, most accurate follow-up shots with.
That translates to how the gun feels in your hand, managable recoil, and good shot placement.

There's an old saying... "Use the handgun to fight your way to your rifle!"

Heres a site full of info about self defense ammo for you too.

When you carry, your goal is self protection. That means if you MUST shoot, you must shoot accurately and efficiently. You are not interested in slowing the BG, you're only interest is in 'neutralizing' the BG.
You must put yourself in that mindset. If you draw your weapon, you will most likely take a life.
As said earlier, 2 to the center of mass and 1 to the head.

And make sure you know the laws of your state. You don't want to be ill prepared when you carry.

As for chooseing a gun, think about one that fires the loads you can handle comfortably. A new gun this year is the SP101 in .327. It's light, it's fast and the round packs a punch close to the .357.
Some ranges will let you rent guns. Try to fire several different calibers before you decide.
Best of luck.:smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.