How many types of ammo?

This is a discussion on How many types of ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When looking at a post listed just a few threads down I got to wonder.. How many types of handgun ammo types are there? Not ...

Thread: How many types of ammo?

How many types of ammo?

When looking at a post listed just a few threads down I got to wonder..
    How many types of handgun ammo types are there? Not brands but types, like round nose/FMJ and so on..

Hope some one would clarify this for me..

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Good answer! I knew there was no way I would come close to answering Daniella's question when I read it yesterday.

Damn..thanks chief! Just what I was looking for..I like this place..

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    When looking at a post listed just a few threads down I got to wonder..
    How many types of handgun ammo types are there? Not brands but types, like round nose/FMJ and so on..

Hope some one would clarify this for me..
    There is your basics like hollow point, full metal jacket, wadcutters, and there is alot of new ones like blended metal tech., and high vel. alum. prefragnented.

YOUTUBE video on blended metal

Daniella, most of the different types of ammunition were developed for a specific purpose. Hunting, Self-defense, Target/Practice, Match, etc. And many of the SD rounds have very different characteristics. Some expand very quickly. Some penetrate more than others. And some perform differently when shot from different length barells.

Most folks start with one type and then experiment with other types to find what they prefer and what works best for their gun.

Many shooters put a heck of a lot of lead down range trying to determine the best type for them. The right one for you, or anybody else that carries, should be the one that works EVERY time in your gun.

So based on the link..is there a overview of the of the main purpose of the different
    types?What does the Bronze point,Flat nose,Full metal jacket and Hollow point?
    Do all of these also come in different weight?

When it comes to self defense..is a heavy bullet better then a light bullet?

And when it comes to the 9mm,40.cal.45.cal,10mm, and 357.how can we determine what would be more suitable for self defense?

Just trying to get a grip off all the different ammo out there..having some problems trying to explain my self here..Lets try with an example.

A bad guy with a bulletproof vest,level III A
    How can we rank the Caliber of the ammo and then the grain of it?

Thanks for making a blond a brunette

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Just trying to get a grip off all the different ammo out there..having some problems trying to explain my self here..Lets try with an example.

A bad guy with a bulletproof vest,level III
    That is the reason you practice two to the chest and one to the head.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Daniella, there isn't a magic caliber or a magic type of round. It will be dependant on shot placement and the resolve of the attacker.

Typically, larger bullets are better for self defense, as they provide a larger wound channel. But with modern ammo, any choice of JHP ammo will be about as good as you can get.

There just isn't that much of a difference between premium 9mm and premium .45. Use what you shoot most accurately. Any handgun caliber is insufficient for a guaranteed one shot stop. Period. I don't care what anybody says. If you start with the assumption that none of them are magic, it makes the choice a little easier.

I wouldn't worry about level 3 vests. If you are in that type of confrontation, run to your trunk and grab a 30.06, or better yet, keep running.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

There just isn't that much of a difference between premium 9mm and premium .45.
    Regardless off what brand,weight or type you use? So basically a handgun caliber is a handgun caliber,even with the 10mm and the 357.?

Senior Moderator
    And when it comes to the 9mm,40.cal.45.cal,10mm, and 357.how can we determine what would be more suitable for self defense?

A bad guy with a bulletproof vest,level III A
    How can we rank the Caliber of the ammo and then the grain of it?

Thanks for making a blond a brunette
    Part of bullet selection:
    - is what gun you shoot the best, and is the most reliable for you.

- What caliber is avaliable for that gun

- What is the biggest caliber I can shoot fast and accurately out of that gun

- what bullet prefroms the best (most accurate and reliable) in the gun that is best for me.

It is a very personal decision, I like 9mm and .357mag/.38 spl because I reload those and they are the cheapest for me to shoot.

I am carrying a .380 ACP now.

As far as BG's wearing Level III vests, as long as you are not in a Hollywood action movie I don't think you have to worry about it much.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    Regardless off what brand,weight or type you use? So basically a handgun caliber is a handgun caliber,even with the 10mm and the 357.?

Try this site

Handloads.Com - Stopping Power
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

No.

To make your statement true, you would have to add the word 'premium'.

Premium JHP ammo in any handgun caliber is so close in performance that I, personally, do not see a large enough difference to prefer one over the other, aside from what I shoot best.

If you were talking about 357 vs .22, then, yes, there is a huge difference.

I would say anything 9mm or above in JHP ammo, is about as good as you are going to get.

Does a 357 perform better than a 9mm? Sure.

Does a .357 perform close to a 30.06? Nope. Neither does the 9mm.

You are starting off with a handicap. You have to stay concealed. The BG doesn't. He can step out of his car with whatever he wants. It's a compromise.

There is no handgun caliber that I would be comfortable with facing a man with a rifle, period.

I believe pistols are so close in advantages and disadvantages, that I think you should go with whichever one you shoot best.

As far as what's better. Hollow points will more likely transfer more energy into an adversary than ball ammo. It has less chance of overpenetration with an advantage of a possibly larger wound channel. Therefore I use JHP's.

With each gun/barrell length/weight/brand, there are differences. I would go with what works best for you.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Thanks for the link..nice reading!

You're getting a lot of good info Daniella...
    If there's a bottom line to ammo selection, as said earlier, it really depends on which gun you feel the most comfortable with, and which gun you can get the quickest, most accurate follow-up shots with.
    That translates to how the gun feels in your hand, managable recoil, and good shot placement.

There's an old saying... "Use the handgun to fight your way to your rifle!"

Heres a site full of info about self defense ammo for you too.

When you carry, your goal is self protection. That means if you MUST shoot, you must shoot accurately and efficiently. You are not interested in slowing the BG, you're only interest is in 'neutralizing' the BG.
    You must put yourself in that mindset. If you draw your weapon, you will most likely take a life.
    As said earlier, 2 to the center of mass and 1 to the head.

And make sure you know the laws of your state. You don't want to be ill prepared when you carry.

As for chooseing a gun, think about one that fires the loads you can handle comfortably. A new gun this year is the SP101 in .327. It's light, it's fast and the round packs a punch close to the .357.
    Some ranges will let you rent guns. Try to fire several different calibers before you decide.
    Best of luck.

Links