Defensive Carry banner

Anyone use Speer 135 grain Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammo?

10K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Garg 
#1 ·
I was looking at Speer 135 grain Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo on Cheaper Than Dirt and there was a review there that said "I didn't like this one at all. It's whimpy, inaccurate, expensive. Buy some good .38 Special +p if you are recoil-sensitive."

I was thinking about buying some of this ammo for my new SP101 2.25" .357, but wanted to know if anyone here uses that ammo and what their opinion of it is.

#3 ·
How is it accuracy wise? I know self-defense ammo for a handgun need not have pinpoint accuracy, but the original reviewer seemed to think it lacked the necessary accuracy.

#4 ·
Don't worry. It is plenty accurate for its intended purpose of being carried in a short barrel wheel gun. My S&W 649 shoots it well out to 25 yards. The recoil is a bit brisk but workable.

#7 ·
The 135 gr. Gold Dot Short Barrel cartridge is all I use in my snubbys. Recoil is much more manageable; better mushrooming; less muzzle flash.

I use big dog ammo for my longer barreled revolvers.

#10 ·
I found it was a toss up between that load and the 125 gr Double Tap +P for carry. Both are accurate and manageable out of my 638 Airweight. The reviewer seems to be spreading manure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.