17 HMR ..for self defense ?

This is a discussion on 17 HMR ..for self defense ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i own a couple of small pistols in this caliber , i carry a 9 mm a 44 or my 45 depending on how much ...

Thread: 17 HMR ..for self defense ?

i own a couple of small pistols in this caliber , i carry a 9 mm a 44 or my 45 depending on how much clothes i am wearing at the time , and i just stick one of these in my pocket too, or my tackle box , and i have a NAA 22 mag mini revolver that i keep loaded up with shot cartridges for snakes and such , my testing on the 17 HMR fired from a 1 1/2 inch barrel , is that it is about like a 22 LR stinger fired from a carbine barrel , i would just like to know your thoughts on the 17 HMR for self defense ?

Stopping power boils down petty much to two things, bullet placement, and foot pounds of energy, with the energy being a huge factor. Put someone on drugs and it becomes a very big deal, so look at the energy of a .17 vs the other end say a .44 mag, big discrepancy.

Now a short story I had a friend that was on guard duty one night back when the marines were still using the 1911's. Short version is a guy high on drugs attempted to enter the camp and both MP's emptied their .45's into the guy who proceeded to walk on by and make it close to 100 yards before dieing. Both MP's had hit target center of mass with all ammo expended, now think .17 and the guy wants to kill you and not just walk on by.

Granted any gun is better than no gun but if you have a choice....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

You will never find me carrying anything less than a 9mm. 17HMR is a joke when referring to personal protection. Can it kill? Sure. So can a BB with a lucky shot.
    Why do you own a fire extinguisher when you have the fire department to protect you?

#1 rule have a gun if a .17 is all you got its all you got, in my case it would be a last resort.

If your attacked by a roaming band of teenage punk ground squirrels...it's perfect. And in the real world, of course, it's (maybe) better than a garden rake. But, as my dear old granny used to say "if you're gonna' be a bear, be a GRIZZLY". So carry the biggest self-defense caliber you can shoot well & don't put your confidence (or safety) in a marginal tool.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but I would use it in a pinch.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    If my 10/22 with a 25rd mag was more reliable in feeding on the first round, I would give it to my wife as a home defence weapon. The first bullet may not stop him, but by the time she would have to change mags I suspect the bad guy would be in pretty bad shape.

I think its a bad idea. You could get a little 6 shot .32 or 5 shot .38 and be 100 times better off, and still be able to stick it in your pocket.

Austin

Sponsored Links