Informal Tests: Corbon .380 DPX Ammunition

This is a discussion on Informal Tests: Corbon .380 DPX Ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. I recently received some of this ammunition from Corbon. It is a standard pressure load, something appreciated by many shooters who prefer not loading ...

Thread: Informal tests: Corbon .380 DPX Ammunition

1951 - 2011

Informal tests: Corbon .380 DPX Ammunition

Hello. I recently received some of this ammunition from Corbon. It is a standard pressure load, something appreciated by many shooters who prefer not loading their handguns with anything +P rated.

The 80-gr. DPX is centered between Federal Classic 90-gr. JHP on the left and Federal 95-gr. FMJ on the right.

It uses a homogeneous copper alloy bullet with a large hollow cavity; there is no jacket and the bullet is designed to perform to the FBI protocol of at least 12" penetration. Not having access to ballistic gelatin nor a constant-temperature laboratory, I do not know how well it will meet such testing, but am extremely hopeful after my own "backyard ballistics" informal testing.

This expanded DPX bullet was fired into water using a Bersa Thunder pistol having a 3.5" barrel. Expansion was remarkably consistent whether fired into water or super-saturated newsprint.

Ten shots were fired approximately ten feet from the chronograph screens and the average velocity from my Bersa Thunder was 1067 ft/sec, slightly higher than Corbon's nominally-listed 1050 ft/sec.

When fired into both water and super-saturated newsprint, expansion was very consistant and uniform. These bullets did not fragment and I could find no loss in bullet weight from recovered bullets.

Accuracy was very good and these cartridges ran smoothly in the Bersa. There was no "hesitation" at all in feeding and ejection was positive. There were zero malfunctions.

Using a rest and a two-hand hold from a seated position, this five-shot group was about average for the DPX and Bersa at 15 yards. Certainly this is farther than most might deem necessary for this type/caliber firearm, but if it is satisfactory at this distance, it should be fine closer in as well. There was no evidence whatsoever of anything other than bullets impacting the target that were stabile in flight; no tipping or out-of-round holes.

Only forty shots were fired and that's not a definitive test for reliability at all, but it does appear that this round should feed in most .380 autoloaders.

If this ammunition might be useful to you, please contact Corbon via their website at www.corbon.com for pricing and availability. If it is not on the market yet, it should be very soon.

For those interested in a more detailed report, follow the link below:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Bersa%20Thunder.htm

Best.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Steve - once more many thx for some valuable feedback info.

This does look very promising indeed - similar ''peel-back'' to my tests on 9mm GD's thru R9 - but here no lead to impede the ''petal'' formation.

I too have a Bersa and may well try and obtain some of this to evaluate myself - it could perhaps be, for now at least - the ''de facto'' load for .380 SD.

Thx again.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Glad that the post was of interest. I don't think the DPX will turn the .380 into a .45, but I do think it may be the best load available for the smaller caliber right now and one that will come closer to "working" satisfactorily over a wider range of scenarios.

Best.

intersting read i dont have a 380 but good info

VIP Member
    Thank you, Stephen, for another illuminating post. The DPX will be staple fodder for my Guardian 380 and P3-AT BUGS. Excellent pictures!
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Wow....excellent review! Thanks!

Loading this round into the Kel Tec P3AT (one of my BUGs) is probably better than using Corbon's 90 grain +P JHP.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Thanks for an informative post, Steve. Looks like I'll be trying the DPX round in my P-3AT.

1951 - 2011
    Hello and thanks so much. I'm glad that the information was of use. I'm hoping that the DPX will give at least 12" penetration. I may be a bit too optimistic. We'll just have to wait and see what shakes out.

Best.

Steve,
    Any idea when the ammo will hit the streets? I see it's not mentioned on Cor-bon's website yet.

Administrator

Stephen A. Camp ~ Kudos!

What a fantastic ammo review!
    Sure was MUCH better than the above average Gun Rag~azine Review.
    The word "fantastic" is so overused these days that I amost hate typing the word.
    Exceptional report and...with pics! Thanks Stephen.
    Much appreciated.
    I wonder if they will feed in my Walther PPK/S ?
    That Walther of mine is "super picky" about what bullet configurations it likes to eat.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

1951 - 2011
    Hello and thanks to all for the compliments. I have no idea on the time frame in which the .380 version will be released, but I think it will be fairly quick, perhaps a matter of weeks.

As to whether or not they'll feed in a Walther PPK, I don't know. It just depends on the particular pistol I suspect. I've not shot any in mine, but they cycled fine through my older Walther PP.

Best.

I talked with a rep from Cor-bon today and they are expecting the .380 DPX to be availabe in about 30 days, but possibly a little longer. They are waiting on some components.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Double-Tap .380 ammo

I got an e-mail from Mike McNett at Double-Tap (http://www.doubletapammo.com) - they're working on two .380 rounds developed for the P3-AT that should be available in 6-8 weeks. Given their reputation for hot ammo, should be 'interesting' to shoot!

Nicely done sir. I will be looking at getting my aunt some of this ammunition for Christmas to replace her Gold Dots.

Links