9mm x2 vs .357mag x1 - Page 3

9mm x2 vs .357mag x1

This is a discussion on 9mm x2 vs .357mag x1 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; BTW, my agency issues the 9mm on duty and we load it with the Federal 115 Grain +P+....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BTW, my agency issues the 9mm on duty and we load it with the Federal 115 Grain +P+.

Revolver Reloading Speed

I've got to practice shooting and reloading a whole lot to get anywhere near the accuracy and firepower you'll have. You'll have to practice autoloader drills a whole lot to get anywhere near my dependability and simplicity.

Hi, I carry a S&W .357 Mag. M19-4" barrel loaded with +P+ .38 Spl. 110 JHC, and practice permanently with 2-3 targets, and the reload is a must for me: I take 3.5 to 4" reloading the gun with the Safariland Comp 2 speedloader I carry in a double HKS case. How fast can you reload?

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    BTW, my agency issues the 9mm on duty and we load it with the Federal 115 Grain +P+.
    May I ask you about the ballistic of this round in an specific barrel length, please. How compare with the Cor Bon 115 JHP +P. Thank you very much.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    9mm all the way. You have like 3x the amount of follow up shots at 2x the rate. 9mm has neutralized plenty of threats in its day.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by CENTURION1945 View Post
    May I ask you about the ballistic of this round in an specific barrel length, please. How compare with the Cor Bon 115 JHP +P. Thank you very much.
    Sorry, but I actually don't own a chronograph.

My choices are based on what I've seen work and talking with a few trusted souls, as well as various reading material that I've come across.

If you are interested in the "Stpping Power" or "Ballistics" of various rounds I suggest you take a look at Evan Marshall - Handgun Stopping Power
    It's Evan Marshall's website, and a darn good one IMHO.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

1911packer,

I love the "snubnose files". Great site! I'm just a sucker for a snub nose revolver. I have a few reasons why I like them. None of them are good enough to overrun the knowledge of what I could do with a 9MM automatic as far as firepower and accuracy. I guess I just wanted a snubie and nothing else would do for me at this stage in my life. I got one. I love it - just like I knew I would. I'm going to make it work for me.

I feel like Bogart when I carry it and truthfully (like I've always admitted) I like being able to answer the question that always comes up when guys talk concealed carry.

What question?

What are you carrying?

Snub nosed 357 Magunum!
    And you?

What else can I say? It's probably my most justifiable reason for carrying it.

Centurion1945

I'm not a very fast reloader. I use speed strips. I'm working on it. Right now, if it goes past 5 shots, I'm probably running for it.

MARV

It would be hard to imagine a BG hanging around after witnessing the buck and roar of five .357 rounds from a snubby.

Owning both... a PT99 9mm , and a .357 mag...

If someone breaks into the house, I'm grabbing the 9mm.

Though I love the magnum, you've got to consider that the blast, though impressive, might just stun YOU too.

I keep the .357 for range work, as well as a "second gun" hidden somewhere else in the house.

I didn't read any of the posts except for the original but thought I might add my take on it. In the book "Stopping Power: A Practical Analysis of the Latest Handgun Ammunition", the author states numerous times, it's not the caliber that will make the differencein a gun fight but the choice of ammunition that will. I use Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P 9mm in my Beretta Px4 Storm. It's listed in the top five one-shot stops at 88% and I found it to be more accurate than any other SD round I've tried including Winchester 147gr JHP, Remington 115gr JHP, Speer Gold Dot 115gr JHP and Hornady 124gr JHP. I think there were others but can't remember them. The number one choice in 9mm was the Federal Hydrashock at 92%.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Magtech Guardian Gold, .45 ACP 185+P JHP: MV=1148 fps, ME=540 ft/#
    Corbon Self-defense, .45 ACP, 185+P JHP: MV=1050 fps, ME=543 ft/#

Remington Golden Saber, 9mm 147 JHP: MV=990 fps, ME=320 fps
    Double Tap, 9mm 146+P JHP Speer Gold Dot: MV=1135 fps, ME=421 ft/#

Shot placement is far more important than this data!
    Some ballistics I've researched.
    Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P (GS9MMD): Muzzle: 1180fps 384ft. lbs.
    Winchester 147 gr. JHP (USA9JHP2): Muzzle: 990fps 320ft. lbs.
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P (23617): Muzzle: 1220fps 410ft. lbs.
    Hornady HP/XTP 124 gr. JHP (90242): Muzzle: 1110fps 339ft. lbs.
    Magtech Guardian Gold 115 gr. +P (GG9A): Muzzle:1246fps. 397ft. lbs.
    Remington UMC 115 gr. (L9MM1): Muzzle: 1155fps. 341ft. lbs.

The BOLD ones are the onse I use now.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    I apologize if this is a stupid question but i'm just learning about ballistics and have a thousand questions. I've read about velocity, energy, momentum, etc. and I understand that shot placement is paramount. I have 2 guns a Glock 19 9mm and a Ruger Security Six 4" .357 / I've found that I'm twice as quick with the Glock on follow up shots and have comparable accuracy with both.
    For defensive purposes if i can hit the target 2x with the Glock 9mm for every 1x with the .357 mag how would this relate defensively? I would think 2 wounds on target might be superior to the one shot with a higher energy load but i've never seen this addressed before. I've been told carry the 125gr sjhp .357 as it's the best manstopper, but again if i can hit at a 2/1 ratio does that even the field?
    Not a stupid question heres my opinon/ .02 cents.
    9mm .vs .357 in caliber are almost Identical. 9mm IIRC is a .356.
    Your semiautomatic that you have chose is very close in reliabilty to your revolver.
    Semi automatics in general are more ergonomic/lighter/easier to shoot/ can be reloaded faster then a revolver by most people (yes Jerry Miculek is very fast i've seen the video)

As far as quote unquote effectiveness or what most people call "stopping power" either one is very effective and if in the right hands can do the job.

As far as bullet weights. I wouldn't get to caught up in it. Because in the end what it comes down to is shot placement. I will say this. I'm not a huge fan of a 147 grain 9mm bullet seeing that it was designed for a specific reason i.e. submachine guns. All and all I shoot a 124 grainish maybe 125 Ranger talon if there a good deal.

Do I feel Inadequate with a 115 grain bullet. HECK no! All in all a hit with a 115 grain is better then a missed with a +p+ 124 grain. In other words find out what you shoot well and stick with it.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I love .45 ACP but...........

Dolphin, I am a huge fan of the .45 ACP but a 9mm(G26) is my carry piece. The reason for this is I can carry more rounds and can place shots faster on target. If you had a .357 revolver that carried 6rds and the G19 carries 15rds you have more than double the capacity. If it took you three shots to stop a threat then you could stop 2 threats with the .357 and 5 with the G19. Like I said though I give up size(.45) for speed and capacity(9mm).

Page 5... not sure my post is worth much but...

I like revolvers at the range so I don't have to chase the brass.

For self protection, I choose Glock. Mine happens to be in .40S&W, but I'd be more than happy with the 9mm if I had it to do over.

Also, check out the M&P 9C... it's just a bit longer than a G26/27 with 12+1 of 9mm. My wife has one for her EDC and it is truly a sweet shooter!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links