9mm x2 vs .357mag x1

This is a discussion on 9mm x2 vs .357mag x1 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I apologize if this is a stupid question but i'm just learning about ballistics and have a thousand questions. I've read about velocity, energy, momentum, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm x2 vs .357mag x1

9mm x2 vs .357mag x1

I apologize if this is a stupid question but i'm just learning about ballistics and have a thousand questions. I've read about velocity, energy, momentum, etc. and I understand that shot placement is paramount. I have 2 guns a Glock 19 9mm and a Ruger Security Six 4" .357 / I've found that I'm twice as quick with the Glock on follow up shots and have comparable accuracy with both.
    For defensive purposes if i can hit the target 2x with the Glock 9mm for every 1x with the .357 mag how would this relate defensively? I would think 2 wounds on target might be superior to the one shot with a higher energy load but i've never seen this addressed before. I've been told carry the 125gr sjhp .357 as it's the best manstopper, but again if i can hit at a 2/1 ratio does that even the field?

2. Remove Ads

TRY 9mm in 147gr. it has comparible ballistics to a .45acp !! Don't get me wrong I love my 2" security six for home but my Baby eagle 9mm has GOLD DOT 147gr for carrying .

Comparable to which .45acp load?

TRY 9mm in 147gr. it has comparible ballistics to a .45acp !!
    Um, I don't think that is correct.

I'd also say that is incorrect. Don't get me wrong, 147gr 9mm is my carry ammo of choice, but they are just completely different animals.

I suppose if I were to play and answer the OPs question, I'd rather get shot once with the .357 than twice with the 9. (would you rather get hit once with a 15lb sledgehammer, or twice with a 13.5 pounder?) We are of course assuming that any of the shots will hit home. Don't confuse target accuracy with combat accuracy. Generally, the first GOOD hit will dictate the winner. Caliber (between certain extremes) is relatively unimportant compared with shot placement. Practice drawing and firing, stay away from FMJs, do your part on placement, and send me 10% of your salary and you'll have the best odds of coming home.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    but again if i can hit at a 2/1 ratio does that even the field?
    Maybe, maybe not. Not much of an answer; but, each case is it's own depending on shot placement, as you said.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I don't wanna get hit by either!!!!

To COM? I would say 1 9mm or 1 .357 could be enough...Guy on drugs and mad...17 9mm or 6 .357 might not be enough.

One shot stop ratios are very unreliable. Some criminals are going to quit if they get winged with a .22. Some won't stop trying to hurt you until they give their last twitch. Add that to the fact that a lot of 'street fights' tend to involve the cheapest ball ammo that they could find. That makes a huge difference in the 'statistics'.

For the interests of your question...assuming point shots to COM, IMHO, 2 rounds of anything has a better chance of disrupting the central nervous system, hitting a vital organ, or causing massive blood loss than 1 shot of anything in pistol ammo. YMMV
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45MINK View Post
    TRY 9mm in 147gr. it has comparible ballistics to a .45acp !!
    Magtech Guardian Gold, .45 ACP 185+P JHP: MV=1148 fps, ME=540 ft/#
    Corbon Self-defense, .45 ACP, 185+P JHP: MV=1050 fps, ME=543 ft/#

Remington Golden Saber, 9mm 147 JHP: MV=990 fps, ME=320 fps
    Double Tap, 9mm 146+P JHP Speer Gold Dot: MV=1135 fps, ME=421 ft/#

Shot placement is far more important than this data!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Magtech Guardian Gold, .45 ACP 185+P JHP: MV=1148 fps, ME=540 ft/#
    Corbon Self-defense, .45 ACP, 185+P JHP: MV=1050 fps, ME=543 ft/#

Remington Golden Saber, 9mm 147 JHP: MV=990 fps, ME=320 fps
    Double Tap, 9mm 146+P JHP Speer Gold Dot: MV=1135 fps, ME=421 ft/#

Shot placement is far more important than this data!
    Did you conveniently leave off Double Tap 115+P? If you are going to compared the lightest, highest energy .45 load to 9mm, might as well do the same for 9mm, but instead you chose the weakest energy load!?!!

115+P JHP Speer Gold Dot: MV=1415 fps, ME=511 ft/#

And that is out of a Glock 17 with a 4.5" barrel whereas most .45 energy figures are out of fullsize 5" barreled 1911's.
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

VIP Member
    Two hits, two wound channels, two chances to hit the CNS, twice as many holes to bleed from, and (perhaps more importantly) two chances to score a hit, period - if you miss with that first .357 round, it will take twice as long to try again! All this, and the .357 is NOT twice as incapacitating as the 9mm when both are using good defensive ammo. So, in short, the 9mm seems to be the way to go in your situation.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

With the modern ballistic hollow point 9 MM ammo we have today I would choose the 9MM over the .357. Plus you have a bigger mag for the 9MM which is always a good thing.

You live in Vegas- I would view the .357 as a SHTF high-penetrator or hunting arm.

If I had a choice to carry it would be 9mm x2 rather than 1 round of .357 and for the exact same reasons as stated by OPFOR.
    Even if you hit and stop with the one round of 357, what if there is a second attacker on hand to deal with?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Two hits, two wound channels, two chances to hit the CNS, twice as many holes to bleed from, and (perhaps more importantly) two chances to score a hit, period - if you miss with that first .357 round, it will take twice as long to try again! All this, and the .357 is NOT twice as incapacitating as the 9mm when both are using good defensive ammo. So, in short, the 9mm seems to be the way to go in your situation.
    Now there are some wise words worth repeating.

I recently spoke to a guy that works medical emergencies and over the years he has seen lots and lots of gunshot wound victims. His conclusion: caliber doesn't make a lot of difference. After seeing what he's seen over the years, he carries a G-19; don't know what load, but I'll ask him.

I think the lesson is, quit worrying about caliber, a miss with one caliber is as bad as a miss with another, focus on getting shots in the right places.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links