How Long Will Ammunition Last?

This is a discussion on How Long Will Ammunition Last? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by edr9x23super i don't know exactly how long, but i did read a story this weekend about a civil war collector in Virginia ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Long Will Ammunition Last?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    i don't know exactly how long, but i did read a story this weekend about a civil war collector in Virginia (Any DC Virginians feel free to chime in here or post a link?)who was killed when the artillery shell he was trying to defuse blew up, killing him. So I would err on the side of caution and say that unless you pull the bullets and soak it in water, it can still go off.

In my own experience, I have some ammo I bought almost 15 years ago that is just fine. I keep it in a safe that has a goldenrod dehumidifier in it and some dessicant backup in case of a power failure.
    Here is a link to the news story.

History News Network

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    There is an old Chinese proverb that says...

when it comes time to bury your ammo, it is time to use it...

I thought it was..."When the man comes for guns and ammo, always give the ammo first..."

Special Note: This certainly does not promote the idea of doing anything illegal.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    At the range today, friend and I were shooting our rifles. Mine a 30-06 and his a 308. Both of our ammo came out of packages dated 1944. Not a single problem out of 200 rounds fired.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    Great...time to stock up, I dont trust my government!!!
    I'll have to wait until November after the election to make my decision on that. Things might go very wrong that day.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

kaz
    I believe the military is still using .50 BMG from WWII eara production runs.

unless you pull the bullets and soak it in water, it can still go off
    I tested that theory and after the powder dried it still burned. I heard WD-40 kills primers and powder, but I had powder soaked ovenight in both water and WD-40 burn. Primers *might* be neutralized with WD-40, but I won't put my gauruntee on that.

Buy yourself some military surplus ammo cans (very inexpensive) and store your ammo in these rubber sealed cans. Like others have said, then store in a cool, dry place and it should outlast you.

I agree, stock up now before it's too late!
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

I've got some 1919 45 ACP ammo but never tried to fire it. It looks fine as I've always kept it in a cool dry place. I figure it's corrosive primed and it's not like I needed to shoot it. I also have a bunch of Viet Nam era 5.56 ammo. I shot up a hundred rounds of it a couple of weeks ago and it did just fine. It's still in the bandoleers in the stripper clips. My Bushmaster Varminter prefers a bit heaver bullet with the faster twist of my barrel but I could still hit a chest sized rock at 500 yards with it.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Don't buy this stuff for storage.

I have shot ammo that was over 50 yrs old and it worked just fine. I also have some old paper shot shells that I shoot from time to time that some old man gave me, I don't know how old they are, but they work.

Anyway most ammo if stored correctly will last many many years, however, these pictures are of some Hornady Match Grade 168gr BTHP that I had stored with my other ammo for about five years.

It was all in a sealed milsurp ammo can and all of the other ammo is fine but look what hapened to this stuff. I think something in the propellant must have become acidic and it ate through the case from the inside out. This is the only time I've ever seen such a thing.

So I won't be buying anymore Hornady ammo for my SHTF stash.

When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links