Ammo waaaay back in the far corner of the safe

This is a discussion on Ammo waaaay back in the far corner of the safe within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know some folks used to swear by alternating hollow point and FMJ ammo in magazines. I think this would really step that up a ...

Thread: Ammo waaaay back in the far corner of the safe

Cool Ammo waaaay back in the far corner of the safe

I know some folks used to swear by alternating hollow point and FMJ ammo in magazines. I think this would really step that up a notch - explosive ammo mixed with armor piercing !!

(that's a joke and not a suggested ammo plan! )

I'm not familiar with Velet or their exploding line, but the green stuff is vintage KTW teflon coated.

2. Remove Ads

Wow that's pretty cool. Now if they could come up with a shaped charge HEAA round you would be covered both ways at the same time....I'd buy some! Have you tried the exploding ones yet? I wonder if/how they work, and what they put in them.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Ammunition to go has exploding/incendiary bullets for most handguns. I've been tempted to buy some, but haven't yet.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Notice the package says "low penetration". Not good especially for a marginal round like the .380. I won't carry HPs in my Kel-Tec. Firm believer in FMJ for max pentration with that round.

Cool concept though and something that will spark conversation.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I notice the package says "IMPACT FUSE DETONATES EXPLOSIVE CHARGE IN BULLET NOSE." I wonder how much impact that takes.

I doubt it would go off if you just dropped it, but I'd hate to have one of those misfeeds where the round noses straight into the feed ramp.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

I have been looking for some exploding tips for my bow? Are there any in that safe of yours? I know its horrible to give a Rambo Cliche on the forum I will try to refrain from now on
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

It is tough to see in the photo, but the noses of the bullets are actually primers. Not sure if there is a hollow cavity packed with powder or what.

Quite interesting. It would be pretty easy to make them safe (in theory) so they wouldn't go off when dropped. Just a simple creep spring to separate the firing pin from the primer/detonator. You could engineer the spring so it would take x many g's before bending - 800 fps is not going to happen falling onto the floor. Then again, if you had some hollowpoints, primers, and epoxy, you could probably make some of these yourself - although they wouldn't work very well unless there was some pretty powerful stuff under the primer, and even so what would guarantee the primer would even go off? Maybe you can cut one open....just be sure to inert the powder/whatever first by soaking it with WD-40!

Austin

Not available in California, New York, New Jersey, or Hawaii!!

Links