What ammo for an Ultra CDP II?

This is a discussion on What ammo for an Ultra CDP II? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What's everyone feeding their Ultra CDP II's for SD and range duty? I was planning on some Federal HST 230g from ammunitiontogo.com. Is +P overkill? ...

Thread: What ammo for an Ultra CDP II?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

What ammo for an Ultra CDP II?

What's everyone feeding their Ultra CDP II's for SD and range duty? I was planning on some Federal HST 230g from ammunitiontogo.com. Is +P overkill? Also, what's the best (reliable) mags to get?

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

Don't have a real opinion on the ammo. If you find a good JHP that runs well through your UCDP, use it for SD. Folks I know use +P for SD to help compensate the loss of velocity in the 3" barrel, but run regular WWB FMJ or something similar the rest of the time. For mags, something with a plastic follower that won't gouge the alloy frame. Most popular mag seems to be the Wilson Combat mag, although Kimbers own Tac-Pro mags get good reviews as well. I use both types in my UCDP.

Thanks for the input,

I'm picking it up tomorrow and don't know what runs reliably through it. The guy I'm buying it from traded his friend for it and then never fired it. He said his friend only shot about 150rds through it and he wasn't sure of what ammo. It's been in his safe since. He made me a VERY good deal so I'm going to buy it even though I wasn't in the market for a .45.

I was hoping to order a couple of hundred rounds online to save some bucks to start out with. Since I won't be able to shoot it until at least next weekend, I can wait on delivery. I've also been doing some reading that suggests compact 1911s are very picky about JHPs. Is this going to be an expensive ammo experiment or is there a definitive reliable JHP for the Ultra CDP II?

I've heard that the Wilson mags are good. Do I go with the 1911 Commander size or are there Wilson 1911 Compact mags available? The guns is coming with only one mag and I want to order all this stuff so I'm ready to take her to the range next weekend.

Thanks again for the input.

You may want to check out Kimber's website and order a factory magazine from them, that way you won't have to worry about fit and reliable function.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I feed mine a strict diet of CorBon pow'r ball ammo....I really like CorBon products, and can't beat their customer service.

As for mags..I run only Wilson Combat...I think they are 47D's...they have a 7 round, and an 8 round version for the commander model...IMO kimber factory mags are junk....it is well worth the money to buy quality mags for a 1911...Tripp Cobra also make a good mag....
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

VIP Member
    You want to get the officer's size mags, not commander size. The ultra has the shorter grip, like the officer's model. I ordered Wilson mags for my Ultra, they seem much better than the Kimber mags.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks again for the replies everyone,

I picked up my new (OK, only about 150rds) Ultra CDP II today for $705. At that price, I couldn't pass it up. This thing is a beauty. I've read that the Wilson mags are best so I think I'll hunt down two or three more. On the ammo, I wish there was a definitive JHP to buy in bulk out there. This is my first 1911 and going with a 3" I guess I'm starting out the hard way. I couldn't pass up that deal though. Anymore suggestions are welcome but I'm going to start out with a few boxes that I know are good ammo, the Federal HSTs. Hopefully, it will eat them fine.

Thanks again for anymore input.

Look into CorBon DPX. Everything I read about it sounded so good that I use it with my Adventurer (also a 3 inch 1911). Go to the Barnes bullet website and get their free DVD. It has a bunch of info on the DPX.
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

Congrats on getting a great handgun at a great price. An Ultra CDP II is my every-day carry weapon.

For Range ammo, I typically use WWB, Remington UMC or CCI Blazer 230gr FMJ, depending on whatever price is best. I've had no problems with any of them.

For self-defense ammo, I currently load Winchest Ranger SXT 230gr JHP, in standard pressure. I've always been very pleased with the performance of this round, and I got an especially good deal on a case. I've also had good results with Gold Dots, Golden Sabre, and a variety of others. Never any feed problems. I expect the CorBons are also a good option.

Here's a small set of chronograph results I got when comparing the 5" vs 3" barrel 1911:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Load.........................Kimber Desert Warrior 5".........Kimber Ultra CDP II 3"
    WWB 230gr FMJ..........................814.................. ................720
    Ranger SXT 230gr JHP.................868........................... .......800
    Ranger SXT +P 230gr JHP............932................................ ..874

I also use only Wilson Combat mags in both my Kimbers. For the Ultra, it's the 47OX with the slim basepad.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

**Oops -- double post -- **
    Cheers,
    Rod

Thanks everyone,

Any other suggestions out there? Is +P OK in my Ultra CDP II? I'm thinking pick up a box of CorBon DPX (what grain?) , Federal HST 230g (+p?) and Winchester SXT 230g (+P?) and a bunch of Wally World WWB for practice (what grain?). A few Wilson 47Ds are on the way also.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Is +P OK in my Ultra CDP II? I'm thinking pick up a box of CorBon DPX (what grain?) , Federal HST 230g (+p?) and Winchester SXT 230g (+P?) and a bunch of Wally World WWB for practice (what grain?). A few Wilson 47Ds are on the way also.
    +P is okay in your Ultra. I just wouldn't make a steady diet of it. 230gr WWB FMJ is fine for practice.

The Wilson 47D mag is for the standard size 1911. For the Ultra, you want the 47,OX. The 47Ds will work, but will stick out too far.

Check this link:
    Magazines for Officers Models / Compacts
    Cheers,
    Rod

Thanks again Rod,

Good thing I didn't order the 47Ds yet. I'll go with the 47OX. I think I'll load up on some WWB 230g and skip any +P JHPs for now.

Again, I appreciate the input.

Good deal, Wasabi. You're going to love the pistol. Here's mine in its current configuration, with slimline Alumagrips.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Great looking Ultra CDP II Rod,

I think I may go with some Alumagrips myself. They seem like the best choice for carry.

Again, I appreciate your experienced input.

Edit: Where can I get a good online deal on Wilson 47OX mags and Alumagrips? Thanks.

Links