Firing 9X23 mm from a .38 Super pistol?

This is a discussion on Firing 9X23 mm from a .38 Super pistol? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a EAA Witness, full size steel frame. In trying to find out as much about this weapon as possible I was looking around ...

Thread: Firing 9X23 mm from a .38 Super pistol?

Firing 9X23 mm from a .38 Super pistol?

I have a EAA Witness, full size steel frame. In trying to find out as much about this weapon as possible I was looking around on the net.

My search lead me to an article written by Dick Metcalf in the June 1999 Shooting Times In that article he states that he has used 9X23 mm ammo on several occasions in .38 Super weapons.

Of course the velocity of the 9X23 is much higher than the .38S and the projectiles are the same or very similar in size and weight. This leads to the conclusion that the 9X23 would be more effective as a PD round.

Since the 9X23 has much greater pressure, I wonder about the safety of this practice.

Anyone here have experience with this practice? Are there 9X23 barrels available that would fit my pistol?

Thanks
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

2. Remove Ads

I would imagine that might be ok for occasional use as your EAA Witness should be stout enough to take on the higher chamber pressure. However, I would call around and check with a few gunsmiths just to make sure. I would also be concerned with feeding from the magazine, slide velocity and more importantly if this will void your warranty on the gun. That being said your best bet would be to contact a factory rep and explain what you are wanting to do. They may indeed have barrels chambered for 9X23 that you could swap out with your .38 super. If not then any competent gunsmith should be able to rechamber a barrel for you. Hope this is helpful to you.

I thought that a .38sup was 9x21. Would a 9x23 chamber properly and go completely into battery? I'd be scared about a facefull of brass.

With a dedicated 9x23 barrel and maybe upgraded recoil spring, you should be fine.

I believe that .38 Super is 9X22.5 mm
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

I wonder why this is not a more popular caliber as it the equal to the .357 magnum. Wouldn't a 17+1 shot glock be the cats meow for law enforcement. More capacity than the .357 sig cartridge because it isn't as bulky a round.

Agreed Crzy.

I plan to later this year have my 9x19 full size SS 1911 converted over to 9x23mm with a gunsmith fitted barrel for carry.
    A standard length 1911 38 Super mag will support 10 rds. (as opposed to 9rds for 9x19mm) and fill that with 9x23mm FT357magnumpowerlevelW.
    And the ammo can be bought commercially too via Winchester.

What's not to like?!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links