.357 question

This is a discussion on .357 question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have a few 357 revolvers. a snub nose with a 2 inch barrel that i never use 357's in. recoil is a pain literally. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 question

i have a few 357 revolvers. a snub nose with a 2 inch barrel that i never use 357's in. recoil is a pain literally. as for my 6in 686 i can shoot 357's all day and it doesn't bother me. i recommend to start her with 38 spec and if she wants to try a few 357 do it toward the end of your range trip. if all you have is a snubby i do not recommend 357's from a ladies point of view. hope this helps.

2. Remove Ads

Exclamation Yooo-hoooo! Betty!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cin357
    if all you have is a snubby i do not recommend 357's from a ladies point of view. hope this helps.
    That's an incredibly sexist comment. I know a LOT of ladies, my wife and 24 yr old daughter included, who would give that statement the hammering it deserves. Wait until Betty sees it! My neighbor's daughter...born a "preemie" has the build of a pencil....ultra thin arms and legs (a lot of babies born prematurely are like this) and she was a bullseye shooter with a 44 magnum at 25 yards when she was TWELVE. When she was 16, she dropped a 400 pound HOG in the Florida sawmps with the same 44 on a running shot. That pig fed 30 of her friends and neighbors for her sweet sixteen party.

Please pay our female shooters the respect they deserve. Anybody can be taught to handle any level recoil if they have the desire and a competent instructor.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

OD*
    The .357 is a grand ol' cartridge, that everyone should own.

Euc,

To give credit, where credit is due, the .357 Magnum was a collaboration effort by Philip B. Sharpe & Colonel D. B. Wesson (Vice President of Smith & Wesson).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Assistant Administrator
    Ex - if my memory serves right - cin357 IS a lady member!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Exclamation Same sex sexism is worse....

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Ex - if my memory serves right - cin357 IS a lady member!!
    That's worse...she only reinforces a negative and INCORRECT stereotype! If there might be some female NOVICE shooter browsing here, and she sees this from another more experienced female shooter, she might be dissuaded from a very potentially rewarding and empowering experience. Remember (I know I don't need to tell YOU this, P95) anybody can do anything in the gun world with the proper desire and competent instruction.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Most women will prefer lighter recoiling guns. It's not sexism - it's a fact. There will be some women who are recoil junkies - but for the most part this will not be the case. Either way, start out light and then move up to the higher pressure cartridges. I think cin357's advice is good and I think you're being a little too sensitive on this one Ex.

OD*
    Not to put words in cin357 mouth but, I took it she meant to start out on, that is excellent advice.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    cin357 has given her opinion that LPguy should start his wife off shooting .38 Specials and bump up to .357s if the wife wants to. Start small and go bigger. Sounds like good advice to me.

cin357 does not like shooting .357s out of her snubby because it kicks hard, and because LP has said his wife is recoil sensitive, she does not recommend .357s in a snubby for LP's wife. That's her personal opinion and I find nothing sexist about it.

I shoot .357s from my snubby. It does kick. I still load .357s in it. I'll also shoot .38 Specials out of it. For a new shooter, I say start off small and bump up to whatever you're comfortable with.

I know women who shoot 10mm, .357 snubbies, and just about every other caliber with no problem. I also know women who can't stand the recoil of anything bigger than a .22. There's also people who medically can't handle larger calibers, so for them it's not a matter of personal desire or training.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Unhappy OPINION....NOT Fact

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    Most women will prefer lighter recoiling guns. It's not sexism - it's a fact. There will be some women who are recoil junkies - but for the most part this will not be the case. Either way, start out light and then move up to the higher pressure cartridges. I think cin357's advice is good and I think you're being a little too sensitive on this one Ex.
    It's not a "fact" it's an opinion. You may hold your opinion strongly, but that doesn't make it universally recognized fact. A lot of the women in my club (the former President of the club for one) can and do easily handle rounds with kick: In some guns the 40 can be a sharp snapper, or the 45 or the 357. To me a recoil junkie is somebody who plinks with a full house 44 mag or a 454 Casull for fun and goes thru a LOT of rounds in those calibers at a session...100+

Okay...I will concede that to the unaware a sharp kicker like a full house 357 JHP is going to catch them by surprise and may be an unpleasant experience. But taken gradually and carefully there are enough loadings for each cartridge to ease up the scale on the recoil levels. If an effort is made not to prejudge in the mind of a novice (because perception is everything) anything in the way of caliber or equipment, most ordinary men and women can adjust to any of the common defense calibers up to and including the big magnums. But all it takes is one dissenter to roll their eyes and whisper....

Geeze...you're shooting THAT round? What a KICK! How can you handle THAT? and it's all over before it's properly begun.

Look folks let's try and NOT turn off any more people to the idea of carrying a gun than has been done already. All we need is for some of the antis to get the idea that any gun is too powerful for anybody and they'll use it against us. If a gun is too powerful for a woman, then...gee maybe it's too powerful for a small statured man. Maybe it's too powerful period.

That's already been tried in the attempts to ban the .50BMG and even the new .500 magnum. The .357 was done a disservice when it got the rep of having been designed for the FHP to "crack an engine block" of a suspect vehicle....No I'm not being sensitive.....I'm an instructor and it peeves me when this type of thing happens.

Assistant Administrator
    Points made - on all sides

I do know my wife for instance (bless her) can handle and has - a 44 mag, and hit well - after a shot she might turn and grin plus, a ''wow!''. But she does not find it too comfortable. She might say ''that was hard work''

Thing is - as so often is the case - each to his/her own, withing their capacity and choosing.

From the defensive POV I am actually happy with my wife's profiency with just a modest .380 semi - knowing that her comfort and competence level is about max - that means she and I know she has the ability for good shot placement and - reasonable speed follow-ups. Recreationally tho - she'll handle about anything.

Remind s me too of a very diminutive lady - weighing what? - 100# tops - who when offered shots from .454, 45-70 BRF and Ruger #1 - all hot stuff - just turned after a shot with wide grin to announce ''awesome''

So - let us say broadly ''people'' (either gender) will have their own comfort levels, influenced sometimes by hand size, strength, even things like disability, arthritis etc. And certainly - again with ''people'' - ''working up'' thru power levels certainly seems a logical way to go to find an individual handleable max.
    Chris - P95

Well handled with your usual diplomacy and kindness. I agree completely and consider the topic well settled....

Unhappy DANG I messed up---hate it when that happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    cin357 does not like shooting .357s out of her snubby because it kicks hard, and because LP has said his wife is recoil sensitive, she does not recommend .357s in a snubby for LP's wife. That's her personal opinion and I find nothing sexist about it.
    I didn't SEE the line that speaks of the snubbie! I only saw the part about ladies not being advised to use a .357magnum. Obviously the first part needs to be linked to the second for full and correct understanding of the post...I messed up, folks. Sorry!

Assistant Administrator
    Forgiven Ex
    Chris - P95

my wife (cin357) has shot 357's in her snub. she just doesn't like it. she's even tried my .44's. after about 12 rounds she's had enough.357's in her 686 are no problem for her(my ammo bill reflects that,lol). if i would'v started her on .357's i don't think she would've gotten into shooting as much as she is now. she just isn't a recoil junkie. she tried my 12 gauge. didn't like it. got her a couple of 20's. she likes them. different strokes for different folks i guess.

i own all calibers of guns from .22's to .45's and 20 gauges. i have shot every gun in my home. including hubbys 12 gauge, 223, 308 and double barrel 12 gauge. its not that a female can't handle any caliber of gun, they can be taught how to deal with recoil, but for me personally, i can't see shooting a gun that makes my wrist and hands hurt after 10 rounds! i can't say that i am a recoil junkie ( at least not as bad as hubby.. he shoots 2 44's at the same time because of the recoil fix lol) everybody has guns that they carry/ shoot on a regular basis. i personally carry a s&w 649 loaded with the speer gold dots 135 gr , a bersa thunder .380, a s&w 908 or a newly bought glock 26. i haven't ound a way to conceal a s&w 45 yet but still working on it! i don't want to turn anybody off of shooting/carrying. my daughter is 11 and she don't like anything with more recoil than a 22 and she don't want to shoot that much. she will shoot hubbys 44's with him holding on to the gun also though. all i meant to say is if a person, female or male, is recoil sensitive, why hand them a hot 357 load and turn them away when you can start out with light 38 loads and work up to bigger and better things ( loads and calibers).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links