Defensive Carry banner

Heat+Ammo= ???

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  A1C Lickey 
#1 ·
First off I apologize if this is off topic, but this is the best place I could think of to ask this question.

We have an ORI coming up this month and unfortunately lots of important people are running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Somebody decided that are rooms must be uber-perfect for a possible inspection and made sure to remind us of the prohibited items...including ammunition. Now when I put my 1911 in the armory I was told, and shown, that we are allowed to keep ammo in our rooms, in fact they won't keep it for us in the armory. However, until I can find those papers again my ammo is staying out in the car....in Phoenix. Will the heat cause any damage, possibilities of it going off, the world ending inexplicabley, that sort of thing?

A1C Lickey

And yes, for anyone who is curious my exotic ammo and brass will be going to my girlfriend's apartment for the time being.

#2 ·
It will not go off! It takes very major heat to initiate ammo.

If you happened to focus sunlight with a magnifying glass - on a primer - it could do it but 120º + in car can't do it.

For long term storage tho it is hardly desirable but short-term not really gonna matter too much, added to which if you plan to use said ammo within next few months an degredation will be IMO minimal to zero.

Think of the guys in the sand box - their ammo must often be gettin very hot!

#3 ·
Just a best guess

I am guessing that in the short term - no difference.
Based on the fact that tons of small arms ammo was shipped to Iraq & desert conditions where there is no cold storage for ammo & it must be OK otherwise we would hear about it on the news.
AKA
"President Bush expects our soldiers to fight a war with faulty, defective, ammunition."
:rolleyes:

#4 ·
It takes a good amount of heat to cook off propellant. Just think of how hot the barrel gets after putting say 200 rounds down range and the next chambered round still won't go boom unexpectedly. I'm sure that's hotter than it gets in your car, even in phoenix.

#5 ·
Once again young Airmen, I hate to bust your bubble, but if you are having an Operational Risk Managment inspection then 2 things. #1 in barracks you will not have never, never, never, have firearms or said such regardless of inspection or not. If your pistol is not being stored in the armory you are risking your career. Secondly, only guys and gals I see run around base armed is SP's. Pararescue, Combat Control will never even have weapons in the barracks. These days only military police are armed 24/7 unless you are about to step on the plane for the desert. Lets be truthful. Sorry, could not let you misrepresent like that.

Further, maybe you honestly did not know you could not have personal weapons on base and have not registered it. I did not get my pistols until I completed my tour and I worked with, around and used weapons quite a bit.

]

#6 ·
Risk?? How about 'operational readiness inspection'?

Next, just finished a 4 year test. Ammo rode in vehicle for 40 thousnad miles, summer, winter, etc. Car parked in the sun every day it sunned.

Ammo accuracy was same, chrono results were within 3%, etc.

Not to worry.

#7 ·
Once again Blue Lion I guess I need to clarify myself. I don't keep my 1911 in my room,that is now stored off base (it was in the armory up until last month), I was only talking about ammunition. That's it.

To everyone else, thank you. I guess I kind of knew that in the back of my head, I think I just wanted to hear it from someone else.

A1C Lickey

#8 ·
KC135 said:
Risk?? How about 'operational readiness inspection'?

Next, just finished a 4 year test. Ammo rode in vehicle for 40 thousnad miles, summer, winter, etc. Car parked in the sun every day it sunned.

Ammo accuracy was same, chrono results were within 3%, etc.

Not to worry.
Ok KC135, Operational Risk....thanks for dusting that off for me. No problem lickey just wanted to keep you safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.