.327 Federal Magnum

This is a discussion on .327 Federal Magnum within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok. I don't like the deceptive name firstly. It's a 32 and at that I don't think that's the diameter. I think this is basically ...

Thread: .327 Federal Magnum

.327 Federal Magnum

Ok. I don't like the deceptive name firstly. It's a 32 and at that I don't think that's the diameter. I think this is basically a long knecked 32 H&R mag. Now I know that no matter what F=MA. Now that is simplifying things a bit due to the other variables that surround the effectiveness of a round. My initial thought is that even if you can generate the same calculated force out of a 9mm, a .45ACP is still going to be more effective due to the larger slug. Hence, no matter the ft/lb at the muzzle it won't be as much punch as a .357, maybe a .38. Another consideration of going faster and smaller is over-penetration. with less resistance due to a smaller diameter I would think that the risk of OP would increase.

Where am I going with this? I want to get opinions(supported) on the viability of this new round. What do you think of it? Likes, dislikes, will this replace .38 +P?

Me First:
    I like that one gets an extra round in the same size cylinder. That in it self is appealing but other than capacity what are the advantages over .38/.357? Could they shrink a snubby by offering a 5 round 327 fed mag? That would be neat. Lighter, smaller, decent firepower. I wonder what will come of this new round. Thoughts?
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

2. Remove Ads

There's an article in this months AR magazine regarding the new round. My understanding (as a casual reader) was that they achieved similar bullet energy to a .357 with the felt recoil of a .38 +p. I'm holding out for some ballistics tests but I kind of want one...

Overpenetration can be controlled by quicker expanding hollow points. I think this thing is going to be a winner, especially in the SP 101.

1943 - 2009

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    I don't think .32 vs .357 is that big a size difference for a bullet. However, the large number of bullet weights and construction types for the .357 verses
    2 for the .327 does make a difference giving .357/.38 an edge for more uses.
    But if you just compared the .327 to the .38 spl+P in the same bullet type available for the .327, IMO and what I can find on the charts, the .327 mag is a better offering. Then there is the ability to shoot 3 lesser cartridges in a .327 revolver and that opens up the use possibilities for that revolver and who can handle shooting one. With .32 S&W or S&W long. even the most recoil shy person can shoot it and another family member can use it with a rnd in the 400 ft-lb arena. [ ft-lb data taken from a shooting mag. ]

Quote Originally Posted by Bline View Post
    ......will this replace .38 +P?
    The chances of that happening are about at high as the .45 GAP replacing the .45 ACP. Not in a thousand years!
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

If S&W brings out a six shot stainless steel snubbie, then I think this cartridge will take off.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    If S&W brings out a six shot stainless steel snubbie, then I think this cartridge will take off.
    According to the guys over at the S&W Forum, Smith & Wesson has adopted a "wait & see" attitude re the .327 Federal Magnum.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    According to the guys over at the S&W Forum, Smith & Wesson has adopted a "wait & see" attitude re the .327 Federal Magnum.

Awe man!! I was affraid that might happen. I guess if the Rugers sell like hot cakes then it will start to pique their interest.

I want a 5 shot snubby with the cylinder size shrunk accordingly. That would be a great pocket gun IMO. I wonder if Taurus or Charter2000 will bite?
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

I wuz think'n that maybe S&W will chamber this puppy in an N frame and set it up with at least nine and maybe ten rounds. Now that'd be sumpt'n to contend with, 'specially since it'll launch a 115 gr. bullet at 1300 fps, the same ballistics that produce 91% one shot stops from a 9mm.

It will never replace the .38 Special.

Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of them are already in circulation.

They are a known quantity (the effectiveness can be debated, but it is at least well documented) inexpensive, durable and obscenely long lasting guns if treated in a decent manner.

Parts and accessories are overwhelmingly easy to obtain.

The .38 Special is going to be around forever, or dam close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    The .38 Special is going to be around forever, or dam close to it.
    So will the .380 ACP, .25 Auto, and .22 LR but that is not to say the .327 will not be able to muscle some calibers aside and establish a place for itself. Its got the ballistics, on paper at least, to become a player. Only time will tell, I wouldn't bet against it given the proclivity for compact CCW guns these days.

S&W will make or break this round. I would be in the market for a 6 shot snub!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    So will the .380 ACP, .25 Auto, and .22 LR but that is not to say the .327 will not be able to muscle some calibers aside and establish a place for itself. Its got the ballistics, on paper at least, to become a player. Only time will tell, I wouldn't bet against it given the proclivity for compact CCW guns these days.
    I do not know about muscle aside or replacing anything; but, the handgun has it's place esp. since it shoots the other three .32 cal revolver cartridges equally well as the .327 mag, within the limits of each cartridge.

Links