Dry box

Dry box

This is a discussion on Dry box within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone use an old refrigerator for a dry box to store powder and primers among other things? I have a good old non-working fridge that ...

Thread: Dry box

Dry box

Anyone use an old refrigerator for a dry box to store powder and primers among other things? I have a good old non-working fridge that seals decently on the top freezer half especially. I'd like to make it my dry box---sort of like a dry box for welding rods. Has anyone done this? I'm thinking that the 15w lamp inside would keep things dry enough if it was on all the time. Then I was thinking that maybe the 15w lamp would be too much for the plan. Maybe 4 watt? Anyone who's done this, I appreciate your input. BTW--the fridge is outside but under cover. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Just be sure to check the seals and then double check. Not sure about which bulb to use, but it shouldn't be too different from a standard gun safe. Measure the cubic footage of a safe and see what the recommended wattage is, then do the same for your fridge. Then do the math. I'm leaning towards a 4W for the freezer box, larger if it's the whole fridge. I'd still back it up with dissacant.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like a pretty smart idea to me. I would have to agree with sniper58 on making sure the seal is not cracked anywhere and it can all be sealed up properly. I would also make sure that you put a good latch or locking device on it so that when you do close it since it will outside of your house, with weather flexing around you dont want condonsation happening in there. I hope this helps you and doesnt sound like such a dumb answer to your question.

Not at all STITCH. I had already been keeping some things in it this past fall, and already have a lock and latch. The seals are (were good), and the way I have the latch seals it better than original in my opinion. I may need to change lamp wattages according to seasons? Maybe I'm counting too much on the insulation value of the body of the fridge itself? I actually had all of my bullets stored in it where moisture wasn't a major concern. A couple desi-paks, and after a couple of months, I had to rejuvenate them as they had become almost solid. All this without the lamp of course.

VIP Member
    Growing up, my dad had an old chest freezer, 2 compartments about 5x3x3.5 each. It stayed in the unheated garage and he used a 25 watt bulb to keep paint cans, etc from freezing during the winter. Sounds like a smaller wattage might work fine in a small compartment.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Moderator
    I use a 1940 refridgerator to store my tools in, it came with our house and is too heavy to move from its current location to my shop.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Why not throw in a thermostat designed for electric baseboard heaters to control the temp? I think they can be had for $15.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Sponsored Links