380 +P

This is a discussion on 380 +P within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any experience or comments on Buffalo Bore's new line of .380 +P ammo? I'm thinking of using it in my PPK/s. Also ...

Thread: 380 +P

380 +P

Does anyone have any experience or comments on Buffalo Bore's new line of .380 +P ammo? I'm thinking of using it in my PPK/s. Also what do you think about using it in the Keltec P3AT or new Ruger LCP?

2. Remove Ads

I heard an interview somewhere (sorry, can't find the link) where a Ruger spokesman said the LCP is designed for SAAMI loads, and that +P loads are not SAAMI loads. He didn't come right out and say not to use +P, but he did say that SAAMI doesn't specify a +P load in .380 and Ruger is designed for SAAMI loads. Somebody with more loading knowledge than I have can take it from there and make his choices.

I am glad you commented especially on the LCP as as this is probably my next purchase. I'm not real worried about the ppk/s as I feel that there is plenty of strength in the steel frame. Recoil will be more on the stout side I suppose.

1943 - 2009
    Go here for the particulars on Buffalo Bore's .380 +P loads. Note that they tested their loads in two of the guns you mentioned, the PPK and the Kel-Tec.

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Thanks Captain, I will do that.

Cor-bons are pretty hot and work well in my Kel tec. I would imagine they would work in the Ruger as well.
    -Biker

I would treat them like a j-frame ultra lite.
    standard pressure for practice and +p for carry.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I have shot them out of a Sig P230 with no problems ... by why do so?

1) Just about all manufacturers will void the warranty if they figure out you have been shooting +P in their products ... of course, I never pay attention to that, but it is usually in the fine print.

2) .380 ACP in any of the major reputable factory ammo manufacturer's product lines will do all you need it to do. My P230 loves Corbons, the P232 prefers Fed HydraShoks. Either will get'er done if shot placement is there ... and both are tack drivers.

3) I've tried rolling my own +P and even +P+ .380 ACP loads with 90 grain Gold Dots and in all honesty, other than a bigger bang and a brighter flash that will get all the shooters to your left and right looking at you ... they really do not perform all that much better imho in terms of penetration - at least in wet phone books and newspapers.

When we first tried the Buffalo Bore loads, and I'll admit I liked the idea of a hard cast +P flat nosed load because I intended to try to duplicate it after putting it through the chrony ... we were not impressed enough with it to take it any further. Plus, we actually lost some shootability, accuracy, etc., when trying to test the stuff. And man oh man but I myself would have a hard time working up the courage to try them in a Keltec ... that's just me. The PPK, yeah, especially the European made PPK ... but the Keltec, if it were me, I'd think twice about it myself.
    What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO the .380 like the .40 are pretty much running at max with factory loadings , you may get more flash or bang , but you wont increase performance even close to 9mm or 10mm loadings . heck other than my kahr pm9 i dont even shoot +p in a nine , and for the record i dont shoot much +p .38 out of a 4" tube revolver either .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Thank you everyone for the excellent response. Someone had told me that if I wanted 9mm performance out of my .380 then why don't I just get a 9mm pistol and be done with it. Well, I did just that. I took their advice and traded my PPK for a Glock model 26. See Best SD ammo for Glock 26.

I have run a few mags of +p through my Kel-Tec and not had any problems. I agree with an earlier post; +p for carry and standard for practice. What I have read about lack of expansion/penetration with .380 rounds has convinced me to carry +p for defense.

My situation does not allow me to carry my G19 or 1911 most of the time, so my P3AT is my daily carry - even the wife doesn't know it is in my pocket. Better than nothing, and it shoots small fist sized groups at 25 feet with +p, so I think I could get the job done in a pinch.

Question Buffalo Bore's stated velocities

I carry a Sig 232 and use Cor-Bon's 90 gr. HP. They do run at their stated Vel. of 1050 fps. and are accurate and have never jammed. However, when I went to the link for BB ammo and saw they stated 1175 fps for a 90 gr. HP and 1125 for 100 gr lead I was greatly impressed. Have any of you shooters out their run them through a chronograph, are their velocities to be believed? If so I'm ordering a few boxes. Good shootin to y'all ! dgang
    " I shoot therefore I am "

My Hornady reloading manual shows a load for a 125 gr. HP-XTP at 1100 fps, the Buffalo Bore loads look a bit light by comparison. However, the switch to the 9mm was a smart move. If you can get a 115 gr. bullet clocking at 1300 fps you'll get 91% one shot stops (according to the Chuck Hawks Cartridge Power Chart-Condensed Version). The same chart shows that a 125 gr. SJHP launched at 1468fps from a 4" .357 mag will give you 96% one shot stops. I'm not planning to stop at one shot if I ever face a SHTF situation, therefore the eight rounds loaded in my PC 327 S&W SHOULD carry the day if I do my part correctly. IF, on the other hand, I happen to be at the other end of the house and have to resort to my Rem. 870.................!!

I'm pretty sure that my p3at manual says the gun can shoot +p, but says not to use them often. Just be advised of that. I don't think they're at all necessary in 9mm, but can see why one would be tempted in the .380. FWIW I've chosen DPX.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I posted this somewhere else recently, so I apologize for being redundant. I went to the range a couple of days ago and did this test. Perhaps not truly scientific, but I was impressed. I would love to see someone do a gelatin comparison using this load.

I just got back from doing a little test at the range. I soaked three 2-1/2" thick phone books overnight, then taped them together today. I took my 2-1/2" Colt Python and my 2-1/2" Mustang .380 and tested them side by side. Here are the results in terms of penetration. I shot all the rounds from a distance of 6 feet.

.38 Special 130 Gr Ball Remington UMC 4.5” 4.75”
    .38 Special +P 125 Gr JHP 5.25” 5.25”
    .380 Blazer Brass FMJ 95 Gr 4.25" 4.25”
    .380 Cor Bon 90 Gr JHP 4.25” 4.5”
    .380 Gold Dot 90 Gr JHP 4.5” 4.75”
    .380 Buffalo Bore Flat Point Lead 100 Gr 6.25” 6.25”

.357 JHP 110 Gr JHP Passed through
    .357 Buffalo Bore 180 Gr Solid Lead Passed Through

The .38 special JHP were the only bullets that had any significant expansions. (5/32" and 6/32") The .380 Cor Bon and Gold Dots had almost no expansion and and only marginally better penetration than the Blazer Brass ball ammo. The Buffalo Bore bullets had no expansion but had the most penetration of all the .380 or .38 special rounds. IMO, none of these rounds really has an objectionable recoil.

The .357 rounds all passed through - not enough phone books. I carry the 180 grain Buffalo Bore in my .357 when I am working in swamps in the south, but this was the first time I had shot any of it. It has a lot of recoil. Not something you want to shoot a lot of.

I am now sold upon the Buffalo Bore .380 as my carry round.

Links