.38+p ????

This is a discussion on .38+p ???? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How is .38 for a self defensive ammo compared to other calibers and what is +p will I Be able to find them at stores ...

Thread: .38+p ????

.38+p ????

How is .38 for a self defensive ammo compared to other calibers and what is +p will I Be able to find them at stores or do you have to reload them yourself

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ok first off and in my opinion the standard pressure .38 is fine for defense , for many years most of america ( LE ) as well as the fbi carried it . Nowadays modern thought says a hot .380 is every bit as good as a .38+p . This may well be so , however having carried and used guns for a period of years that spans the last 20 of the last century ill just say i have seen fads come and go , heck i personally carry a small 9mm now myself , but i have not yet seen anything that would lead me to belive that a standard velocity .38 spec out of a snubby wont work . In fact if you discout what amounts to a surgical shot placement , well the heavyer snubby load may well do you better than my choice .

The point i want to make for you is that there is no right gun to carry , also there is no wrong gun to carry . You shoud carry anything that you feel confident with thro testing on a range . IE get what shoots well for you and then shoot it a lot .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

+P and +P+ ammunition is simply ammunition loaded to higher than normal pressure specifications.

This ammo is widely available at most stores. As strange as it may sound even Wal-Mart sells .38 spl +P in my area (for now). From what I've read Wally World is getting out of the "GUN" business.

Modern .38 Special ammo like Gold Dot, DPX & the new Buffalo Bore loadings do the same as most other modern ammo - go 12 - 14 inches deep and expand.

They will do the job if you will.

If you are going to handicap yourself by carrying a gun that gives you a 5 round capacity and is comparatively slow to reload, use the best ammo available.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    If you are going to handicap yourself by carrying a gun that gives you a 5 round capacity and is comparatively slow to reload, use the best ammo available.
    Also make certain to use the best ammo available if you are going to properly arm yourself with the most proven handgun design in use which is utterly reliable, incredibly concealable, carries more than enough ammunition for just about every civilian encounter recorded in the last 50 years and is the safest weapon to handle and maintain.

Today I have a Firestar 9mm carried IWB in a tuckable rig with two spare mags in my coat pocket. Tomorrow I may have my S&W Model 60 in a pocket with a pair of Bianchi speed strips.

VIP Member
    I like +P out of short barreled revos, but I don't think it's a deal breaker. As has been said, good quality ammo in standard pressure will probably work fine, but if the cost and recoil (and the recoil isn't bad, really) aren't major factors, it can't hurt to have a little extra oomph.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have carried both a .38 and a .380. Both are equally effective if your .38 is a snubnose with a 2" barrel, however if your .38 has a 4" barrel or longer then it would be more effective than the .380 especially if you use the +P loads in it. Compared to the other calibers it is the minimum accepted self defense revolver cartridge. Most experts say that the 9mm is the minimum for semi automatic pistols, while a few claim the .380 is acceptable. You can find +P loads at any gunshop, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain store or a internet website that sells ammo. I would say that you have a good self defense caliber in standard or +P as long as it is a good hollow point load.

VIP Member
    It will work,do you have the gun yet?
    And yes you can find the ammo or order from the web.
    Semper Fi

Links