45 ACP All Copper?

This is a discussion on 45 ACP All Copper? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for comparison information/data on Magtech First Defense Cartridges 45 ACP +P vs. Taurus Copper Bullets vs. Cor-Bon DPX Ammunition 45 ACP +P ...

Thread: 45 ACP All Copper?

VIP Member

Question 45 ACP All Copper?

I am looking for comparison information/data on Magtech First Defense Cartridges 45 ACP +P vs. Taurus Copper Bullets vs. Cor-Bon DPX Ammunition 45 ACP +P vs. etc.

Any reliable data, first. Misfeeds / jams / etc.

Then Grouping?

Lastly ballistic gel tests, real life shooting performance on how these round perform, etc. I would be particularly interested in any “expansion issues” type information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

dave

BTW -- I know that different weapons often like one product better than another does. But given the cost factor, I’d like to start with one and see how my Sig 220 likes it.

BTW2 – I have done some searches (here & general Google) and found a lot of information & opinions on each. But not cross product comparisons.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Dave,

Buy one box of each you are interested in and then mail that to the guys over at the Box of Truth website.
    They will gladly test your ammo and provide a detail of comparative results at no cost other than you providing the supplies and covering the postage of forwarding the supplies to their location.

- Janq runs Corbon DPX
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I have used Corbon DPX in other calibers in the past with excellent results. I have not tried the other two yet, but Corbon has been very reliable in my experience.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Dave,

Buy one box of each you are interested in and then mail that to the guys over at the Box of Truth website.
    They will gladly test your ammo and provide a detail of comparative results at no cost other than you providing the supplies and covering the postage of forwarding the supplies to their location.

- Janq runs Corbon DPX
    That's a great idea Janq. I have about 15 different kinds of SD ammo in .45 and wanted to test them, but it's just too much work to do comparisons on that many types. The Box of Truth guys would probably love to help me out.

Easy test

We use a 5 gallon bucket filled with wet newspaper, soaked for a while, and covered with a t shirt or some old jeans. A single bucket will stop most all expanding defense-type JHP and is not very messy if you wear gloves to keep from getting ink on your hands. You can cover it with just about anything you want to shoot through. I'll be glad to test them, too. PM me.

VIP Member
    I can tell you only my life experience with CorBon DPX+P. In 2004 when DPX+P was new to the marcket place, I planned a boar hunt with only a handgun. My largest handgun at that time was a 45. I shopped the gun stores in my area for a good round for this hunt. Well they all laughed at me saying a 45 is not a hunting gun and I wouldn't get the penteration I needed to do the job. That the pig would turn around on me and get my leg. I listened to them but the trip was already paid for. I asked my brother-in-law if I could borrow a 44 from him but he that that it might be illegal for him to loan a handgun to someone because he is a gun dealer. So I went to the internet to search ammo. When I came apon the CorBon DPX it promised everything I was looking for but don't they all. Well on my hunt after spotting my target ( remember I'm still thinking this pig is going to turn around and get my leg ) I took a shot right behind its front leg. The pig turned and ran for the trees so now I'm thinking I'm going to have to chase this pig. But right behind the first tree, there he layed no more than 5 feet from where I shot him. While dreesing my kill the bullet fell out right from the middle of the pig. So that DPX went through that thick hide, through those thick rib cage and found its way to the middle of my kill. By the way this was a one shot kill. The bullet proformed just like it said it would. I bought 5 boxes of ammo to practice before this hunt and never had a feeding problem. Though thats the biggest complaint I here about the DPX, with its oversize cavity, they do not feed well in all weapons. It did in mine. The bullet that came from the pig was a perfect mushroom and friends think I did it at work since at that time I was a machinist. I now carry nothing but CorBon DPX+P in my 45.

VIP Member
    I shot some Taurus copper .45acp from a revolver, very accurate.
    Draw back is I started a smoldering fire in some wood I shot.

I tried same ammo in a 1911 and had feeding issues.

Links