.22 magnum mini revo ammo

This is a discussion on .22 magnum mini revo ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just recently purchased a NAA .22 magnum mini revolver for a bug and deep concealment piece. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as ...

Thread: .22 magnum mini revo ammo

.22 magnum mini revo ammo

I just recently purchased a NAA .22 magnum mini revolver for a bug and deep concealment piece. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as what ammunition to use?

2. Remove Ads

Thanks coach.

I always ran Winchester Super-X 22 Magnum hollow point ammo in mine. I really don't think it makes much difference. I've killed quite a few feral dogs with that ammo (although not from the NAA pistol). It makes a lot of noise and for a .22 packs a pretty good punch. In my Winchester 9422M I've killed a bunch of crows at a little over 100 yards with it.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I bought a NAA PUG a few months ago and haven't shot it yet (NAA is working on it) but I did have a Black Widow a couple of years ago that I used CCI Maxi-Mag TNT with. I still have a bunch leftover and plan to keep the PUG loaded with it. I'm wondering if a 40g would be better over the TNT though? On a side note, anybody have any success with the CCI shotshell in the short barrel NAA revolvers? What's your experience with the effective range of the shotshell?

NAA

Just happen to have some new pics from the Snubbie thread. I use my NAAs for bike riding carry in case of angry dog, target of opportunity, plinking, and general bumming around on the bike in the woods and rural areas. Before I bought my Kel Tec .32 the magnum was my constant BUG.

The shotshell has gaps the size of a snake's head in it at 8 feet or so in the magnum. I wouldn't rely on it past 5 feet in the LR. I have two different .22LR shotshells, one from Federal one from Winchester. One has less shot of a bigger size, the other is more smaller shot. Don't have the boxes in front of me and don't remember which is which. I don't have any of the CCI shotshells left in LR, in magnum that's the only brand I know of. My intent is to fire it at any angry dog I may have a run in with. I don't have to aim well while I'm hauling butt away and the sting of a couple pellets in the face should end things, the regular ammo is there in case plan A fails. In the Magnum I use CCI TNT .22 mag HP, but there is a noticeable flash in the short barrel of my Black Widow. That might matter to you. Before that I used some Winchester JHP load in the black "Supreme" box, but couldn't find it anymore. In the .22LR, I use the Aguila SSS. My mini keyholes with light and fast loads like the Stinger or Quick Shok I would prefer to use. Even with the instability, the Quick Shok fragmented from the tiny barrel of my mini. Before the SSS I used Winchester shilouette 42gr loads.

Thumbs up Win. Supreme in Black Widow

I have a NAA Black Widow and have tried just about all .22 Mag ammo I could find. From 50 gr. to 30 gr. Using wet phone books and lumber for penetration and expansion tests I found the CCI TNT would open up too soon and not penetrate, Remington and Federal where too slow. Winchester's 34 gr. Supreme HP were the best. They would zip through a 2x4, expand through 4" of wet phone book, blowing a silver doller size hole through the back, and stop about 2" into a sand bag. This is the load I carry everywhere when carrying my Sig is not practical. dgang
    " I shoot therefore I am "

On a 1 1/8" 22 magnum, I bought every local 22 mag ammo I could find which was about a half dozen types. I shot them all in one session and ended up choosing Federal Champion Target for a few reasons. It didn't keyhole in my gun, it's muzzle flash was mild and it's a 40grain FMJ which I presume will be best for penetration. I've fired 250 rounds of the same ammo and I haven't had a misfire yet. It keyholes after about 70 rounds or so but a quick patch down the barrel solves that. It would be wise for me to do some wetpack testing or chronographing except that I don't have a chrono or a convenient place to set up my own tests. I'd recommend doing as many others have reportedly done and see what meets your criteria for reliability, low flash, penetration, cost, availability etc. and then you can make an informed decision.

FWIW, I couldn't get used to the stock grips and ended up buying two aftermarket rubber grips from their website. The checkered rubber birdshead grips helps a little with traction but it is significantly wider than the stock grips and it prints more in pockets. I settled on the rubber slip-on grip and took a dremel sanding wheel to it to fit my hand better and to decrease the width of it. It is the easiest and most comfortable to shoot of the three and after sanding is now more slim than the stock wood birdshead grips.

Have fun.

Links