Any lawyers out there? Legal question

This is a discussion on Any lawyers out there? Legal question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Scruit I'm still debating if I should use any kind of HP for my Bersa .380 because I'd heard it's not powerful ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Any lawyers out there? Legal question

Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scruit
    I'm still debating if I should use any kind of HP for my Bersa .380 because I'd heard it's not powerful enough to reliably expand...
    My take is that expansion is at best ''iffy'' - and so I have my wife's Bersa .380 stoked with Fed FMJ - I feel that is just as effective, even more feed-reliable and I don't think over penetration is such an issue at this power level.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

LOL

Ron
    I am also an attorney and basically agree with Erich. Even if we located a case where the use of reloads was used or not used against the shooter, it would not necessarily be binding on the next case since these are facts and circumstances types of issues usually decided on a case by case basis. Since you can never know with certainty what the attitude of the police or prosecutor will be in a given shooting, the best advice is, if possible and practical, to do nothing that could prejudice your position, including use of reloads.

Ron

I am not an attorney, but I have talked at length with relatives who are; the consensus is why tempt fate? As two previous posters, who are attorney's have stated, anything can be brought up to cast doubt on your intentions as a result of shooting someone in self defense. The advice I received, both from attorneys and from instructors is first and foremost, use either the same type of ammunition or use ammunition as close as possible to the ammunition used by your local law enforcement agency. Secondly, retain several rounds in the original packaging of the ammunition you have loaded, for testing should the need ever arise.

So, in my case, whenever I load out my magazines, I ensure that I retain a few rounds of that lot number in the original packaging. When I fire that ammunition, I replace it all with new. I've gotten anal enough that I do not mix lot numbers in the same magazines.
    Last edited by JayHawker45; December 7th, 2006 at 02:35 PM.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker45 View Post
    I am not an attorney, but I have talked at length with relatives who are; the consensus is why tempt fate? As two previous posters, who are attorney's have stated, anything can be brought up to cast doubt on your intentions as a result of shooting someone in self defense. The advice I received, both from attorneys and from instructors is first and foremost, use either the same type of ammunition or use ammunition as close to the ammunition used by your local law enforcement agency. Secondly, retain several rounds in the original packaging of the ammunition you have loaded, for testing should the need ever arise.

So, in my case, whenever I load out my magazines, I ensure that I retain a few rounds of that lot number in the original packaging. When I fire that ammunition, I replace it all with new. I've gotten anal enough that I do not mix lot numbers in the same magazines.
    That's a good idea and I might do that if I ever get into reloading HP's for carry. They can always take it apart and see how "hot" you load the rounds.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I only carry stock equipment for this reason.

Even if you win lawsuit, you are still out a ton of cash.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    I dont understand why anyone would want to carry anything that was questionable. Ammo's too cheap to risk it. Use re-loads for practice and carry the lagit stuff

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I dont understand why anyone would want to carry anything that was questionable. Ammo's too cheap to risk it. Use re-loads for practice and carry the lagit stuff
    It shouldn't even be an issue. That's my problem with the whole thing. The only thing that should matter is whether or not a shoot was justified. Period.

I might start carrying reloads out of principle.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

remember their lawyer is not on your side they will use anything to get a bigger paycheck, that is why you have a lawyer.
    anything can be used agaist you depending on the creativity of the lawyer.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    For my CC I use Federal's EFMJ in .45 caliber. The box is labeled For Personal Defense or Personal Defense Ammo. I feel if someone wants to get technical about it that this would be in my favor.
    For God, Family and Country!

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    It shouldn't even be an issue. That's my problem with the whole thing. The only thing that should matter is whether or not a shoot was justified. Period.

I might start carrying reloads out of principle.
    I agree that it should not be an issue, but, unfortunately, that is not the reality we have to deal with. I certainly respect any decision you might make to carry reloads out of principal, but please do understand what the consequences to you and your family might be.

Ron

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Of course it shouldn't be an issue but I've heard of someone - while breaking in to a home - getting injured, falling or something and sueing the homeowner. Go Figure that out....
    For God, Family and Country!

In Texas its a moot point,if you are justified to shoot the BG,there is no civil relief for his family,they can't sue you for a shooting that was justified and you are no billed by a grand jury
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrobert1 View Post
    Jolene Maloney -Attny
    Jolene Maloney is a family and criminal attorney in Boise, Idaho, and is the leading lawyer for the city. Her legal specialties are criminal and family law.
    This is on topic how? You claim to be in Bangladesh, why do you need a criminal lawyer in Boise?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Administrator
    This thread is almost 5 years old... its closed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links