Best ammo for my 9mm sub-compacts?

This is a discussion on Best ammo for my 9mm sub-compacts? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; More discussion here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad-my-pm9.html Page 2 of the thread features opinions (that make sense to me) regarding 147 from a short barrel. But I'd try ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best ammo for my 9mm sub-compacts?

More discussion here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad-my-pm9.html
    Page 2 of the thread features opinions (that make sense to me) regarding 147 from a short barrel.

But I'd try some 124gr. and 147gr., to compare recoil, reliability in your gun, and muzzle flash. Maybe even try your final selection with milk jugs, so you can see how it expands when shot out of your gun. Never know when you'll be threatened by water-filled plastic jugs anyway.
    Last edited by DistantHorizon; April 15th, 2008 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts

2. Remove Ads

147 gr Hydra Shok's out of my Kahr K9.

Thank you "DistantHorizon" for the link, believe it or not it makes sense to me also
    And thanks to everyone else as well, after 2 evenings of playing on the net ive picked out my next ammo to try out & probably carry in our sub-compacts....... Federal HST's 147 gr

A few things that helped make my decision are:
    1. price
    2. reputation
    3. current experience with federals 135 gr low recoil rounds
    4. data & info that i found & received supporting that the higher grain bullet seems to have the best chance of fully expanding in the shorter barreled pistols & still have good penetration

Thank you all ill let you know what i think Bullet results after firing
    Last edited by Slim_45; April 15th, 2008 at 10:06 PM.
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by M&P_erfection View Post
    ive picked out my next ammo to try out & probably carry in our sub-compacts....... Federal HST's 147 gr
    This is the exact same round I carry in both my fullsize and compact M&Ps!

i like federal L.E. tactical hst 124gr. +p in my sig 239 9mm

you can get it here...
    Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 9mm Federal LE Tactical HST 124gr. +P HP Ammo [P9HST3] - $19.95
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Oh i forgot to post this...check out this test on these bullets...The Federal 147 gr HST wins hands down ...... note: just added this link to my last (decision) post as well

Bullet results after firing
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

I've had excellent experience with two rounds, over the past 18mos or so: Federal Hydrashok Tactical 9mm JHP 124gr +P+, and DoubleTap (Gold Dot) 9mm JHP 124gr +P. Priced at about $0.48/rd, these aren't bad for a premium round. Assuming they end up performing well in your specific guns, they have more than enough power for defensive use. These might be two to consider testing. Click here, for a review: clickie.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Do y'all base your decision solely on expansion characteristics?

I like to try a number of hollow points out at the range and then choose the one that shoots the best in that particular firearm. By best, I mean accuracy. Get your recoil too high and accuracy starts to suffer. Plus, each firearm is different, even 2 of the same model, and they might like different ammo. I guess I think an inch or two of shot placement is worth more than a couple of hundredths of an inch of expansion.

For example, the first time I took my LCP to the range, I tried 2 different types of HP's. The Federal PD Hydrashocks and some Remington Express JHP's. I was all psyched, thinking the ultra costly Hydrashocks would perform better. But, the Remingtons shot smoother and more accurately. Thus I am sticking with the Rems, until I have a chance to try other brands. Unfortunately, these PD type rounds cost an arm and a leg and are hard to find in some places, so trying more than a few brands becomes cost prohibitive.

I think a lot of data in these tests are sort of irrelevant, unless you have the gun they used in the test, ammo from the same lot, the same water jug/phonebook etc..

Quote Originally Posted by alfack View Post
    Do y'all base your decision solely on expansion characteristics?
    Solely? At the expense of, say, reliability or smoothness in my specific gun? Absolutely not. Reliability, consistency over hundreds of rounds, expansion, penetration, blast/flash. Can't know that from someone else's review. For myself, I cannot know how a given round performs, specifically in my gun, until I've run it through the ringer for 1K rds or more. Expensive, but there isn't another way to be as certain that it'll operate when the chips are down.

I think a lot of data in these tests are sort of irrelevant, unless you have the gun they used in the test, ammo from the same lot, the same water jug/phonebook etc..
    Yes, exactly. tests are just that, and they may or may not apply to another person, gun and shooting style, and then only if tested in the same manner. Still, it affords more info to go on, so it does have use.

As with your choice of Remington, I made a similar choice in a Browning BDM, years ago, in which the best, most-reliable round I could find was the Remington Golden Saber 124gr JHP. Not the best record of expansion, but it fed every time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by M&P_erfection View Post
    Oh i forgot to post this...check out this test on these bullets...The Federal 147 gr HST wins hands down ...... note: just added this link to my last (decision) post as well

Bullet results after firing
    Bear in mind, though, that those rounds were fired from a 4.5" barrel. Performance from a shorter barrel can be different.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I keep 124 grn. federal hydra shok in my Glock 26..

Don't like +P+ in smaller body pistols, but I do keep the 127 Winchester Ranger +P+ in my the Glock 17.

Sure they cost a bit, but my hide is worth it.

Any of the big name ammunition manufacturers 124 grain +P jacketed hollow point loads is what I use in my Glock 26. My pistol is similar in size to your S&W M&P9c so you too should get maximum performance out of your pistol. I will wait and try to catch which ever name brand is on sale.

I use Speer Gold Dot 124gr.+P out of both my Kahr CW9 and Glock 19. If you go to Brass Fetcher Ballistic Gelatin testing you will find some tests done with these (and other loads) with a 3.5"barrel Glock 26. I have never read a bad report about this ammo. The Cor-Bon Powerballs are supposed to be an excellent load as well.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    In my Kahr P9 and G26 I use Winchester Ranger LE or Federal HST. In the Kahr I use 147 grain, and in the G26 I also use the Ranger 127 gr +P+. That round is not reliable in the Kahr due to the slide velocity I was told by Kahr.

Regards,
    Jerry

Great info on the links in thread. THANK YOU
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links