Power Ball Ammo?

This is a discussion on Power Ball Ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looks good on their write up - what do youse guys think? Anyone here ever use this? Comments??? Pow'RBall by Glaser, LLC. While I was ...

Thread: Power Ball Ammo?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Power Ball Ammo?

Looks good on their write up - what do youse guys think?
    Anyone here ever use this? Comments???

Pow'RBall by Glaser, LLC.

While I was looking at the above - the next link looked interesting too.
    Any comments on it either????

Glaser Safety Slug
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Never tried Pow'RBall, but Glaser Safety Slugs are nasty; however, I'm skeptical they could penetrate deep enough through winter clothing. They are most certainly something to think about if you live in an apartment because it could save your butt in liability through those paper thin walls.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I have done penetration tests and expansion tests on various 9mm ammo and the Power R Ball was the only one to expand 100% of the time.
    Penetration tests was simply 4 Raleigh phonebooks stacked on top each other. The PrB never penetrated more than 1 and 1/2 books. 115 gr DPX would clog with paper and penetrate well into the 4th book, same for Golden Sabres, Hydra-Shock only did not penetrate as far. Gold Dot would expand about 50% of the time. When they did they would penetrate into the third book about 1/4 distance. When they didn't the fourth book took a licking.
    Expansion tests utilized a one inch thick X 4 inch pine board duct taped to a gallon milk jug filled with water. Placed in front of a bullet trap tightly packed with old blankets and pillows that were being thrown away. All of the above mention loads expanded, most pretty impressive. Cover the pine board with a scrap of blue jean material and the only one to expand 100% of the time was the PrB.
    Now I don't know the fancy math and all, but 100 gr traveling at a high fraction of the posted velocity of around 1400 fps impacting the breastbone of a BG in the area of the thoraic triangle is going to slow the threat down considerable, especially if it's diameter is increased 40 to 50%.
    Last edited by Gunney; April 17th, 2008 at 08:16 PM.

VIP Member
    I carry Pow'rBall in my 10mm. I like the round and agree with Gunney about always expanding. The other good thing about it is it will penetrate hard objects like automobile glass and doors where hollow points fail fairly often.

I also use them in my 1911s and one 9mm. I don't like them for .357SIG. For some reason you get projectile set back on rounds even from an initial loading.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

yea PrB is some good stuff, hard to find though

VIP Member
    I saw the results of a wet newspaper test with 9mm, impressive enough I carry them in .40.
    I had some in .45 acp and shot a rotten stump at about 30 yds and it blew up.

Like CAJUN said it not easy to find a box or two of these. This round is great especially if own a pistol that balks at hollowpoints occasionally or you live in an area where hollowpoints are restricted. Tactically speaking, I am surprised that this ammo is not more popular with law enforcement as it is great on automobiles and heavy clothing like dr said and would have a better public relations viewpoint than the classic jacketed hollowpoint. The Glaser safety slug has lost favor in recent years due to low penetration especially if the BG is wearing a leather jacket or heavy clothing. Glaser improved their load by going to bigger and heavier birdshot and now call it their Silver line of safety slugs. I would go with the silver instead of the blue even if I lived in an apartment.

I have used the stuff ever since it came out; I really like it because of the obvious reasons concerning reliability, but also because Peter Pi seems to get it regarding performance.

If you want great performance, you need velocity. Cor-Bon delivers more velocity than anybody, their ammo hits like a truck. As far as not being able to find it has never been a problem for me, because I just order it direct as I have for the past 20 years.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    As far as not being able to find it has never been a problem for me, because I just order it direct as I have for the past 20 years.......
    Which vendor have you bought it from? I'm having a hard time finding it locally and want to have it when I transit through NJ next month under FOPA peaceable journey rules.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Corbon will send direct. They charge MSRP prices so they don't undercut their dealers.

https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/

Be careful in N.J. !

I would strongly advise that you ensure that power ball is legal in NJ before venturing across their border. I am not in NJ but I do pass through there occassionally, I recently sat down and read their law on hollow point ammunition. The law forbids "hollow point and dum dum ammunition." I am no expert, however, I am pretty sure that power ball can and would be classified as dum dum ammunition. The law is absolutley rediculous and I can assure you that you do not want to try and argue common sense in NJ!
    Last edited by HWYPAT42; May 18th, 2008 at 03:51 AM. Reason: punctuation correction

Links