.357 JHP vs SJHP for SD/HD

This is a discussion on .357 JHP vs SJHP for SD/HD within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is best for SD/HD use in a .357: 125gr JHP or SJHP? I hear JHP penetrates better and SJHP fragments making more damage (but ...

Thread: .357 JHP vs SJHP for SD/HD

.357 JHP vs SJHP for SD/HD

What is best for SD/HD use in a .357: 125gr JHP or SJHP? I hear JHP penetrates better and SJHP fragments making more damage (but not as deep). It seems from this forum that some use SJHP and others JHP. What will do the most damage at short range?

2. Remove Ads

They are both good, if you are looking at the old "Full House Loads".

Federal made a 125 Grain JHP and Remington made a 125 Grain SJHP. I don't believe there is any difference in the stopping statistics between either round. Right now I'm using Black Hills 125 Grain JHP's but when I can't find that I can find the Remington SJHP's and use those.

Biker

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    They are both good, if you are looking at the old "Full House Loads".

Federal made a 125 Grain JHP and Remington made a 125 Grain SJHP. I don't believe there is any difference in the stopping statistics between either round. Right now I'm using Black Hills 125 Grain JHP's but when I can't find that I can find the Remington SJHP's and use those.

Biker
    +1 The Federal and Remington loads are what gave the .357 it's reputation as a fight stopper. They are as effective today as they were 25 years ago. Don't care for the watered down, 9mm-like loads offered today. Neutering a defensive round doesn't make much sense to me.

No difference like what everyone said, either one will get the job done. I did notice that you mentioned home defense and I have a suggestion. If the revolver is only going to be used by you then the full power loads are fine. However if this gun is to be shared or if it is a "pool" gun to be used by others in your household like your spouse, then I would recommend a mid range load like the Remington Golden Saber 125 grain BJHP (brass jacketed hollow point). This load is similar to a 9mm +P load, ( as stated by kpw ), and is still an effective load with less recoil. If that is still too much to handle for other members of your family, then any good .38 Special +P JHP will do.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    +1 The Federal and Remington loads are what gave the .357 it's reputation as a fight stopper. They are as effective today as they were 25 years ago. Don't care for the watered down, 9mm-like loads offered today. Neutering a defensive round doesn't make much sense to me.
    Are you referring to the Premium hydrashoks? I was wondering whether to use the standard 125gr or the hydrashoks (130gr I believe) if I go with Federal. The ballistics seem similar. The Premium has less flash.

I've also been looking at the Double Tap 125gr .357. Half the price and faster. But are they as reliable as Federal?

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by doublehorse View Post
    Are you referring to the Premium hydrashoks? I was wondering whether to use the standard 125gr or the hydrashoks (130gr I believe) if I go with Federal. The ballistics seem similar. The Premium has less flash.

I've also been looking at the Double Tap 125gr .357. Half the price and faster. But are they as reliable as Federal?
    No, it's just a plain old 125 gr. JHP. It's in their standard Personal Defense line. I don't know what bullet DT loads in the .357 offerings but I haven't heard too many complaints on their product. My personal favorite has always been the Remmy SJHP. In my very un-scientific tests in water and newspaper some years ago, it would always give the most impressive results no matter what the caliber or bullet used. If I was carrying a .357 today, that's what I'd be carrying. Just my choice, though.

Links