Anybody Happy With Plain Old 38 Special Standard Pressure? - Page 2

Anybody Happy With Plain Old 38 Special Standard Pressure?

This is a discussion on Anybody Happy With Plain Old 38 Special Standard Pressure? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is not meant to slam .380 auto carriers. But there are a whole lot of guys trusting the new top of the line .380 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Happy With Plain Old 38 Special Standard Pressure?

This is not meant to slam .380 auto carriers. But there are a whole lot of guys trusting the new top of the line .380 loads to do the job. Many feel that the .380 is up to the task it is meant to fulfil.

A snub nose 38 with standard pressure loads and wise bullit selection is superior to any 380 (IMO).

If recoil is a problem - I wouldn't shy away from the 38 standard pressure loads with state of the art bullits. I'd do that long before I'd switch to any 380 -which is your next step down.

My 2 cents worth!

MARV

New Member Array Six Dollar Dave's Avatar
    While I do carry +P ammo in my M36, I would have no problem carrying standard pressure .38 special ammo if the +P bothered me, nor would I feel under armed.
    A J-frame in the hand is worth two in the safe.

Maybe I look at things a little different but, a round to the chest from a +p or a standard will yield the same effect. If you train then center mass is where you place your round. Shoot what you can control best. In the event you need to fire 2 or 3 rapid shots you want a round that you can place on target as fast as possible. All the +s in the world aren't worth squat if you can't hit the target.
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

I dont own a .38 spl but I know plenty of folks that swear by em and don't see a problem with that. For what it's worth, I carry a Kahr PM9 because I like the extra capacity of the kahr and power of the full 9mm cartridge. I wouldnt feel terribly undergunned either way, but then again, I almost always have my XD45ACP as my primary anyway.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I prefer the .38 over the .357 loads in a small snubbie because I'm not sure of the huge advantage the .357 has in such a package like that.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    . What's the point in spending a lot of time mastering that kind of recoil when you can just get a nine mil?
    38s and .38+ps feel the same to me in my 640... I have not tried magnums yet, probably will try something "light" in the .357mag.

Also, the recoil in my snubby feels a little bit more than my Sig P239 BUT mastering recoil in a heavier round is clearly important in such small revolvers, especially if you want the reliability factor of the revolver over the new fandangle semi autos out today.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

This is not difficult... as has been said in previous post, go to the range with your weapon but load it with .38's. Load with .357's for your normal carry, and know you are totally protected.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Shoot 38's with some good ammo... and don't worry about it.

I use Federal Hyra-Shocks. The key to survival is bullet placement rather than bullet power. If you shoot better with the standard loads, by all means use them.

Use and carry standard loads if that's what you feel comfortable with...if confronted with evil, you will still be able to get your point across...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My 1965 model Colt detective special is very happy with standard .38 special loads. because it is not +P rated

Not at all.

I agree with CR2008, I have shot regular and +P out of my 642, and it feels just the same. So, I shoot +P, it doesn't hurt and it might help. Just my opinion.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I bought a chrono to find out what rounds were actually printing out of my 642 and PPK/S. After thorough testing of many rounds, I realized that published velocity and ME figures were about 10 per cent high, or even more, when compared with shorter barrel lengths. I settled on these minimum carry loads:

642: 125 gr JHP +P

PPK/S: Corbon 90 gr JHPs.

I've ordered some various .38 rounds to test, but for now am loading the cheap Winnie White Box +P, which prints a nice velocity, indeed. Have Corbon on the way, Buffalo Bore, etc., to test.

Most of the .38s and .380s I tested were woefully lacking in velocity, so much so that I would seriously doubt if the JHPs would even expand. I can't even imagine seriously contemplating self-defense with a standard velocity round out of one of the new subcompacts, like the P3AT. Might as well carry a .22.

Just my two cents. If the weather and clothing permit, I carry a 1911 with 230 gr Corbon JHP, Fed. HST. I want to pack the maximum load I can, to be ready if the need arises. Especially with the 642, every shot better count (you've only got five).

I posted some chrono data here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links