Anybody Happy With Plain Old 38 Special Standard Pressure?

This is a discussion on Anybody Happy With Plain Old 38 Special Standard Pressure? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm getting tired of my hand hurting after a session with my Smith 60 in 357. The 38 +P is better, but not much. What's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Happy With Plain Old 38 Special Standard Pressure?

I'm getting tired of my hand hurting after a session with my Smith 60 in 357. The 38 +P is better, but not much. What's the point in spending a lot of time mastering that kind of recoil when you can just get a nine mil? I like snubbies, but I'm getting annoyed with the boom. Besides, I'm an old f**t and I have arthritis.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you already decided . I don't have a problem with most guns recoil, but would suggest practicing w/ standard .38's and carrying .357 loads. If the recoil bothers you that much you will probably develop a flinch shooting full .357 loads.
    I doubt you will notice recoil if you need to use the gun defensively.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If it allows you to fire fast, accurate follow up shots, then .38spl (standard) is the way to go.
    All the blast, recoil, and lift from .357mag in smaller guns makes follow up shots difficult.
    .......and I know the debate rages on about "all you'll need is one from a .357", but if you need more, all that time to re align sights decreases your probability for succes.
    Just my opinion, but I'd rather have 2 or more really fast, accurate follow up shots (cuz 'one shot stops' aint the average), than one shot that is all I get before losing my sight picture and steady grip. In fact, my mother who is 60, carries her revolver with standard pressure .38 lswc because she can shoot fast, accurate strings of fire. For practice, plain ole' wadcutters are her choice. She tried 38 +p, figured out she'd not get a good follow up shot.
    Go with as much as you can control in fast, accurate strings of fire-
    ymmv.

Dan

Dan

I had a 686 about 10 years ago because at the time my thinking was bigger is better. I really liked the .357 but it wasnt a carry wep and it was very large and very heavy. They didn't have CCW here then so I never considered it. Now that I have my CCW I can't see any reason to carry a .357 when other weapons are so much easier.

My carry round of choice is 9mm/38 I will consider a .380 .32 for specialty carry.

I picked up a 38 ultralight and it hurts my hand but it's light, small, and is easy to conceal so I don't practice with it a lot.

VIP Member
    I would not feel "unarmed" with such a load. I'd suggest one of these:

Product Line Listing

or

R38S6 at: Remington Express® Handgun Ammunition

I'm certain there are many other fine choices as well. Good luck with whatever you choose, and stay safe!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I use Std Velocity HydraShocks in a 642 for reasons stated above. Short-bbl guns that are lightweight can be nasty on the hand and at bad-breath distances I doubt that the +P recoil and pain will buy you any improvement over Std Velocity that you can more easily control.

Just one person't theory!

VIP Member
    I use .38spl, I like the FMJ 130 gr.

At the range yesterday, I fired 200 rounds of .38 spl. Followed by two rounds of .357 magnums, I didn't have a problem, and will be getting a box or two.
    In a defensive condition, I'm sure adrenalin is flowing, and SHOULD help.
    I also own a S&W model 60, rapid firing, I've found, is not round specific, mostly, how fast can you pull the trigger? If you need speed, get an auto.

ability for follow us shots seems to be the overall consensus. I'll be carrying a .38 with standard rounds as a bug and dont feel that I need +P. JMO
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

"how fast can you pull the trigger? "--Rmac58

I dunno, how fast do you need to stop the threat by putting multiple rounds accurately on target?

Dan

+1 to falcon1's suggestion.

I carry BB 20C/20's in all of my .38's. Recoil is more of a push than a snap. If they don't expand they shed their petals and drive deep like a semi wadcutter.

Good stuff.

Product Line Listing

rd
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

I love .38 almost as much as my EDC (.40). It's a great BUG round for me and sounds like just the round for you.
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

I would use the standard .38 wadcutter rounds for practice with a cylinder full of .38 +Ps mixed in the range session. I would then carry the Speer Short Barrel 135 grain +P load for self defense. Have you considered having the barrel ported on your carry gun? It can be expensive, but well worth it, and beats getting rid of your gun or just leaving it at home. I tried the model 60 in .357 when they first came out and right then and there after shooting it, I decided that .38 +Ps were good enough to forgo magnums in such a small gun. Actually I abandoned the small revolvers altogether and went with a Glock 26 9mm instead because of the recoil and the increased firepower of 11 shots versus 5.

I use a Ruger SP101 loaded with standard Federal 110 hydrashocks in the low recoil version ..I am not at all recoil sensitive however I can easily control this weapon for subsequent follow up shots if need be.
    I do not feel undergunned or out gunned at anytime. I use to carry a Glock 23 .. but I like revolvers better (call me old fashioned if you will) I never feel under gunned from caliber or round capacity.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Sounds like you already decided . I don't have a problem with most guns recoil, but would suggest practicing w/ standard .38's and carrying .357 loads. If the recoil bothers you that much you will probably develop a flinch shooting full .357 loads.
    I doubt you will notice recoil if you need to use the gun defensively.
    I agree with Rocky that's what I do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links