Good SD hollowpoint for a 3" barrel?

This is a discussion on Good SD hollowpoint for a 3" barrel? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a CZ Rami which I use Hornaday 124 tap in. Just wondering if the Federal 147 HST might be better less recoil better ...

Thread: Good SD hollowpoint for a 3" barrel?

Good SD hollowpoint for a 3" barrel?

I have a CZ Rami which I use Hornaday 124 tap in. Just wondering if the Federal 147 HST might be better less recoil better penitration?
    Any thoughts/commernts.

2. Remove Ads

It's easy enough to give a box a try...then you be the judge!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would rather have the HST over the tap! The HST is one of the best there is right now. If it will feed them, shoot them.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Yeah, what CDWolf said, try 'em....
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I would stay with the 124 grain or lighter bullets instead of the 147 grain ammo. You lose too much velocity in the shorter barrels for the 147 grain slugs to expand reliably IMHO.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

"HST"

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I just went through this myself. Spent 4 nights on the computer learning ballistics, asking opinions & looking at bullet tests.
    Than i called winchester & Federal, talked with a woman from Federal whos been in ballistics for almost 20 years & she confirmed my choice that i came too (only a different grain than i chose) ..... Federal 124 gr HST ..... supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, so i ordered 250 rounds from Ammunitiontogo.com
    I cant tell you from experience yet how they shoot but i will by this weekend but what i hear & seen in tests made me a hopeful
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

I have a K9 that I use Remington Golden Saber 124 gr. in that seem to feed well (100 rounds w/no problems) and test results indicate they expand well in ballistic gelatin and water jugs(for what that's worth). I usually keep my practice with them at 25 feet and they go where I point the pistol. Recoil is just a bit snappier than 147 gr. rounds, but hardly enough to notice. At the price of SD ammo, most folks wouldn't be using them for range fodder anyway. To boot, they come 25/box versus 20/box like most SD ammo. Like another poster said, try several types of ammo and see what works best...YMMV.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

No matter the gun, if it's a 9mm I use +P or +P+ ammo.

CorBon makes a good 115 Grain +P DPX load that I trust. My Duty Load is Federal 115 Grain +P+. I personally like the CorBon better.

With shorter barrels I am looking to increase the velocity of the bullet to compensate for the velocity loss of the shorter barrel. I am also looking for a bullet that gives acceptable penetration to reach vital organs or pass through "Intermediate Barriers" like autoglass or dry-wall.

It can be very confusing when trying to select a "Carry Load". I hope I helped a little. Good luck and stay safe.

Biker

I exchanged emails just about a week ago with a guy from Speer regarding their "short barrel" .45ACP rounds. (but the rules of physics being what they are, I'm guessing that the same info would hold for a 9mm)...

I had asked why their short barrel product used 230 grain slugs vs their 185 grain (or the 200 gr in their +p). He told me that the 230 held position in the cartridge for a few miliseconds and that allowed the pressure to build higher then it would with 185's... So out of a short barrel the 230gr bullets were moving faster than the 185's since the lighter bullet was gone before the max pressure hit.

I've got no confirmation other than this guy's statement... but it seems possible. And they are a major manufacturer with the resources to know more than me...

But if somebody can refute this , I'd certainly be willing to listen.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear View Post
    I exchanged emails just about a week ago with a guy from Speer regarding their "short barrel" .45ACP rounds. (but the rules of physics being what they are, I'm guessing that the same info would hold for a 9mm)...

I had asked why their short barrel product used 230 grain slugs vs their 185 grain (or the 200 gr in their +p). He told me that the 230 held position in the cartridge for a few miliseconds and that allowed the pressure to build higher then it would with 185's... So out of a short barrel the 230gr bullets were moving faster than the 185's since the lighter bullet was gone before the max pressure hit.

I've got no confirmation other than this guy's statement... but it seems possible. And they are a major manufacturer with the resources to know more than me...

But if somebody can refute this , I'd certainly be willing to listen.
    I've heard this from a couple of other ballistics sources as well. That with a short barrel the heavier round - and standard pressure - tends to work better.

As for loosing fps, the difference between a 4" and a 3" inch barrel is only around 50fps.

The 147gr HST actually penetrates better than the 124gr +p.

The best place I have found to get the HST's is ammunitiontogo.com. Available in 50 round boxes for $19.95.

Somewhere on this site there is a comment mentioning a larger slower round does more damage than a faster smaller round. He sounds convincing.
    If that is to be believed, the +P's are a waste.
    I would think most defensive firings are of a short distance, so 50 fps difference is a moot point.

i use 147gr federal hst. i don't see a need for +p and i would never use +p+ there is no telling how much powder is in them, they also sound like a good way to ruin a good gun.below is 147gr fed. hst the 124gr looks the same but the 147gr penetrates deeper.this is w/out +p or +p+
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

While I cannot comment on all 9mm pistols, I do know that the Glock is designed and built for the 9mm NATO round. This round is loaded to +P+ pressure and velocity. So any Glock or similar pistol should be able to withstand any +P or +P+ ammo you should care to use. Beretta, CZ, H&K, Sig Sauer, Smith and Wesson M&Ps, and Springfield XDs to name a few should all be okay with the hot stuff. I know that NYPD issues the Speer Gold Dot 124 grn. +P and several other PDs issue the +P+ 127 grn. Winchester and have not had any problems. You should have no problems with your CZ Rami as this is a European pistol built to fire the NATO round. However Stormbringerr is right, some older pistols and some like the Rohrbaugh R9 cannot take the hotter rounds and that IS a good way to ruin a good handgun and possibly cause serious injury to boot.

Links