What kind of ammo do the BGs use?

This is a discussion on What kind of ammo do the BGs use? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PaulJ here is a summary of the study cited above: New findings from FBI about cop attackers and their weapons Predominately handguns ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of ammo do the BGs use?

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    here is a summary of the study cited above:
    New findings from FBI about cop attackers and their weapons

Predominately handguns were used in the assaults on officers and all but one were obtained illegally, usually in street transactions or in thefts. In contrast to media myth, none of the firearms in the study was obtained from gun shows. What was available “was the overriding factor in weapon choice,” the report says...
    Wow...so much for all the Antis screaming about Gun Shows!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I am not a crimniologist and I don't play one on TV.

So my opinion here is worth about what you guys have paid for it.

But here goes: they use the most easily available ammo, often that means what's already in the gun when they steal, buy or trade for it. Other times, the cheapest.

My guess is FMJ most of the time.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I know a guy that owns a gun shop. He told my a while back that a couple of brotha's came in and said "Gimme some SKS bullets". He reached back on the shelf and picked up a box of .311 diameter bullets and put them on the shelf. It dumbfounded the dip wad, and he finally said "Loaded bullets, man!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chitlin View Post
    I know a guy that owns a gun shop. He told my a while back that a couple of brotha's came in and said "Gimme some SKS bullets". He reached back on the shelf and picked up a box of .311 diameter bullets and put them on the shelf. It dumbfounded the dip wad, and he finally said "Loaded bullets, man!!"
    That was one quick thinking clerk would have loved to see that"brotha's" face.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    Wow...so much for all the Antis screaming about Gun Shows!
    Along with every other gun control law, permits, qualification, back ground checks, waiting periods et all do absolutely nothing to stop a criminal from getting a gun. The ONLY thing any gun control law has ever accomplished is to feed criminals unarmed defenseless victims. Gun Control has proven to get people raped, robbed, maimed, mutilated and murdered.
    When the idiot antis figure out that criminals do not obey the law and quite trying to over ride God by legislating limitations upon a God given right is when we will take our streets back. IMO opinion gun control advocates are accomplices to every rape robbery and murder committed and as my sig says no better than those that commit those crimes. They are definitely in the same camp. As every violent criminal supports gun control just like all the antis do. If you doubt me ask them I have
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Back in the day, homies who were flush were more discriminant and tended to have high end ammo. One OG even had some handloads he'd get off some biker dude with a FFL he'd met in the joint. He had a little Charter Arms .38 five shot snubbie with hollow base wadcutters loaded in in the cases backwards-- giant hollow points. He said they were only good for about three yards, but had some good stopping power. All the other broke fools in the Neighborhood had whatever they could scrounge up. Sometimes the magazine would only have a few rounds, or maybe different colored brass and different bullet types. Gangsters these days are more knowlegeable about stuff and have better connections to the good stuff. I remember once in the '80's some fool showed up one day with about 5,000 rounds of 9mm reloads he said he scored from a "friend of a friend" who worked the LAPD Academy pistol range in Elysian Park.
    Last edited by Scott; August 20th, 2008 at 05:47 AM. Reason: profanity

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I have discovered their guns to be loaded with the same varieties of ammunition everyone else uses.
    I came back to reread this thread as it was going on I got an uneasy feeling as I read,

BGs do not discriminate when it comes to ammo or bullet type
    What ever they can get I think
    Most bad guys dont have a clue on guns or ammo selection
    Generally ball. Its cheap and plentiful
    The last rusty, dirty .38 I seized was loaded with lead semiwadcutters....
    whatever the last guy they killed was useing
    The last few I have seen coming in where ball ammo
    They buy them like loosies!
    what ever they can get
    The same ammo the rightful owner had that pistol loaded with
    VERY... VERY... few BG types have had the benefit of "modern technique" training
    either buy cheap FMJ or cheap hollowpoints,they wouldn't normally go online and buy high dollar golden sabre or HST or any other premium JHP
    whatever was in the mag when they stole it
    the cheapest available
    My guess is FMJ most of the time

Some of that is posted by members whose opinion I respect and some is based on real life experience. So I am not going to say any of you are wrong. I am going to say the general attitude is disconcerting at the least. After bring a gun or better yet bring lots of friends with guns, what is one of the first rules of combat? DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE THE ENEMY! That I believe is the most fatal mistake we can ever make and we only get to make that mistake once. You may survive without a gun, you will not survive if you have under estimated your adversary.
    The FBI referenced to on this thread is clear BG PRACTICE ALOT! It is also a old report before the influx of combat veterans into the BG pool. They do not have jungle combat experience they have urban warfare, close quarter room to room combat experience. Some are as skilled as any Operator because they ARE operators, SpecOps, Rangers, and Marines, and SEAL death and destruction is their stock and trade. Or they have trained with those that are. They are gun guys, they know how to shoot straight and loaded to the gills, because they do it regularly. While you and I are working they are out ripping robbing and partying while shooting guns. Believe it or not some actually read books and get online. There is no way to tell how many thugs are on this forum or any gun forum. They are informed.

We talk alot about mind set here. IMO under estimating the enemy is a flawed mind set. I practice and train prepare as best I can based on the assumption that my next encounter will be against a combat hardened SpecOps guy whose sole purpose in life is death and destruction to violent and insane to get a job as a private contractor or stay in the military. Skilled with the finest weapon available loaded with the best ammo available. I may not win against such an opponent but I have every intention of taking him to hell with me.

off my soap box for now

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I think old LongRider is on top of it.

Complacence will get us killed.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I just did an PER on a 2 time prisoner that had shot across a room in a restaurant with a 9mm Beretta at a guy that had just shot his brother in the back. He fired 9 rounds total with 8 COM. The 9th missed. He managed to this with the guy still on his feet. He readily admits that a lot of his friends spend a lot of time on the range. Ammo was Gold Tip, chosen by him.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    what ever they gun had when they stold it or the cheapest ammo around.

is also a old report before the influx of combat veterans into the BG pool.

where are you getting your info for this longrider and what are the statistics on it?

i do of course believe that underestimating an enemy is a grave mistake. i also believe most BGs take a great intrest in the type of ammo they use.
    im just curious about the combat veterans statement...thanks
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

B52
    I am with Storm on this, Longrider please include where you got the combat veteran BG statisic!

[quote]Quote:
    Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    The gang-bangers according to a recent FBI study train more often than most police. There were no specifics about ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Really? Link?
    I read the same thing recently -- not in a link, but in one of the following gun magazines (do not recall the exact one):

American Handgunner
    Combat Handguns
    Guns & Ammo
    American Rifleman

I don't have time to search it for you, and I don't know if the author had a link. However, with a few hours research, you will find the article.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I was an LEO for 21 years and typically saw FMJ in BG guns. They weren't too picky about what they stuffed in them. Finding mixed brands, old and new ammo mixed together and FMJ, HP, SWC all in one gun. My strangest confiscation was an extremely old six shot revolver with no markings and an octagonal barrel. It appeared to be .38 cal. The fool carrying it had cut down some .30 M1 carbine ammo to the mouth of the case and was using that as his load.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    is also a old report before the influx of combat veterans into the BG pool.

where are you getting your info for this longrider and what are the statistics on it?

i do of course believe that underestimating an enemy is a grave mistake. i also believe most BGs take a great inertrest in the type of ammo they use.
    im just curious about the combat veterans statement...thanks
    The old FBI report is th one PaulJ posted earlier
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    here is a summary of the study cited above:
    New findings from FBI about cop attackers and their weapons
    I knew I should have cleaned that statement up. First it was not said to disparage anyone who is or has ever served. Especially not anyone who has seen any combat in service to this nation. In fact there is no condemnation intended for those that do step over the deep end. I don't have stats on the current conflict. Don't know if we are far enough into the after math of this war for these stats. Fact is we are still getting guys in from the Vietnam and the Gulf wars dealing with PTSD and other issues for the very first time. So even those stats are incomplete. Many of them have arrest / prison records as long as your arm and longer drug abuse histories. So the statement is based on personal experience with working with these guys. I know that after Nam prisons had a huge influx of combat vets. Historically that is one of the consequences of wars. You may recall that the Hells Angles was started as a group of combat vets that rode together. A tradition that goes all the way back to the James Younger Gang whose success coincidentally is attributed to their combat experience. So you are free to discredit me for lack of links or stats, truth is it is only my opinion based on some twenty years of experience, and yes I am dealing with some of the guys who are having problem from this war. They are not guys I want to be in a gun battle against. So as I should have said at the end on my other post JMO, its worth everything you paid for it.

Again I do apologize to any of our warriors that I offended, that was not at all my intent.
    Last edited by LongRider; September 16th, 2008 at 09:17 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links