Defensive Carry banner

What kind of ammo do the BGs use?

8K views 47 replies 40 participants last post by  ALWILLIAM 
#1 ·
We talk a lot about the ammo we use for defensive carry, but when you see a video of a BG robbing a store, what are they using?

I suspect, since they probably actually have to buy that stuff and they are trying to get away as cheaply as possible that it is straight ball ammunition.

#2 ·
What ever they can get their hands on via the streets or straw purchases.
Basically everything you or I or LEOs can get our hands on from .22 and .380 to 9MM to .357 Mag, .40, .45, and you name it.

BGs do not discriminate when it comes to ammo or bullet type.
Ask a local EMT, emergency room triage nurse, or coroner.

- Janq

#5 ·
The gang-bangers according to a recent FBI study train more often than most police. There were no specifics about ammo.

#6 ·
Really? Link?

#7 ·
Back when i was LE i saw everything from lead reloads to state of the art hp ammo in firearms i had occasion to seize . As a rule tho the BG did not shoot a lot , and in fact carried for " street cred " . They were likely to have it loaded with the same mag they bought it with , If they happened ( not usual ) to have bought it at a store they said " gimme or throw in a box of ammo " and thusly got whatever was cheap for the store owner . If they got it " undergorund " they likely got a mag of whatever it was loaded with prior to theft . Most bad guys dont have a clue on guns or ammo selection just as most cops dont . The prevailant attitude ( among both camps ) is that " I have a gun and you dont " . they see no need to understand lethal force and its projection . As a living example i refer everyone to Chicago this weekend ... 36 shot and 6 dead at last report . Now while i extend condolences to any and all who may be involved here .. the raw numbers show that bad guys are not selecting pistol rounds for effectiveness , nor are they working hard on accuracy .

I frankly dont care if you use sights , you dont use sights , you pray to shiva.... whatever works for you hit them COM a couple of times , if they fail to fall down hit them in the face a couple of times . If you strongly feel you cannot headshot someone for whatever reason then hit them in the pelvic area a couple of times . Point is if you shoot , then shoot them down , be that they fall below the sights or you shot to slidelock /empty .

#8 ·
Even if they are loading with ball, ball isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Is it as good as HST or Ranger Talon? No, but it still will ruin your day if you catch one COM.

The way ammo prices are going up, I'll bet it gets to be common practice before long to carry JHP in the gun and spare mags loaded with ball.

Regardless of it not having fancy ballistics, ball is reliable and makes deep holes. Everything else is a bonus.

#11 ·
Since there are no background checks for ammo, I imagine they can use whatever we can use.

Winchester Whitebox JHP is the cheapest self defense ammo at the sporting goods stores I go to.

#16 ·
I'm curious as to how many wear or even use holsters. If they do what style?

I'm of the opinion that if I see someone carrying a gun in a holster they are legit. If no holster and then the guy is up to no good. I'm guessing most are carrying their guns in the pocket of their hoodies.

LE info and experience would be welcome input.

#37 ·
I came back to reread this thread as it was going on I got an uneasy feeling as I read,

BGs do not discriminate when it comes to ammo or bullet type
What ever they can get I think
Most bad guys dont have a clue on guns or ammo selection
Generally ball. Its cheap and plentiful
The last rusty, dirty .38 I seized was loaded with lead semiwadcutters....
whatever the last guy they killed was useing
The last few I have seen coming in where ball ammo
They buy them like loosies!
what ever they can get
The same ammo the rightful owner had that pistol loaded with
VERY... VERY... few BG types have had the benefit of "modern technique" training
either buy cheap FMJ or cheap hollowpoints,they wouldn't normally go online and buy high dollar golden sabre or HST or any other premium JHP
whatever was in the mag when they stole it
the cheapest available
My guess is FMJ most of the time

Some of that is posted by members whose opinion I respect and some is based on real life experience. So I am not going to say any of you are wrong. I am going to say the general attitude is disconcerting at the least. After bring a gun or better yet bring lots of friends with guns, what is one of the first rules of combat? DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE THE ENEMY! That I believe is the most fatal mistake we can ever make and we only get to make that mistake once. You may survive without a gun, you will not survive if you have under estimated your adversary.
The FBI referenced to on this thread is clear BG PRACTICE ALOT! It is also a old report before the influx of combat veterans into the BG pool. They do not have jungle combat experience they have urban warfare, close quarter room to room combat experience. Some are as skilled as any Operator because they ARE operators, SpecOps, Rangers, and Marines, and SEAL death and destruction is their stock and trade. Or they have trained with those that are. They are gun guys, they know how to shoot straight and loaded to the gills, because they do it regularly. While you and I are working they are out ripping robbing and partying while shooting guns. Believe it or not some actually read books and get online. There is no way to tell how many thugs are on this forum or any gun forum. They are informed.

We talk alot about mind set here. IMO under estimating the enemy is a flawed mind set. I practice and train prepare as best I can based on the assumption that my next encounter will be against a combat hardened SpecOps guy whose sole purpose in life is death and destruction to violent and insane to get a job as a private contractor or stay in the military. Skilled with the finest weapon available loaded with the best ammo available. I may not win against such an opponent but I have every intention of taking him to hell with me. :comeandgetsome:

off my soap box for now

#19 ·
"If this is true, how come they hit so many people they're not really shooting at?"

Because gun fights aren't like the square range, and even if they were, they're usually on the moral low road enough to sacrifice accuracy for speed.

Pitmaster,
I'd wager most criminals carry without holsters. However, I know that to not always be the case. Also, search the threads where folks here have admitted to carrying without holsters. I'm assuming they aren'tr criminals, even if they are perhaps misguided.

#31 ·
Predominately handguns were used in the assaults on officers and all but one were obtained illegally, usually in street transactions or in thefts. In contrast to media myth, none of the firearms in the study was obtained from gun shows. What was available “was the overriding factor in weapon choice,” the report says...
Wow...so much for all the Antis screaming about Gun Shows!

#23 ·
The absolute take-away line from the study referenced by PaulJ, above:
Researcher Davis, in a presentation and discussion for the International Assn. of Chiefs of Police, noted that none of the attackers interviewed was “hindered by any law--federal, state or local--that has ever been established to prevent gun ownership. They just laughed at gun laws.”
Now that should go on a bumper sticker. :mad:

#24 ·
Lucky for us... VERY... VERY... few BG types have had the benefit of "modern technique" training.

Even those who have had US military training... is somewhat less than what one can get from say... John Farnam or Gabe Suarez. The former tends to run cold ranges and uses only FMJ (so many do not get any real useful insight into why certain JHP rounds are much better against a human target).

What they could get from military is "team" tactics and if sent to the sandbox... real-world experience in "organized" violence.

The latter can help them in certain bad neighborhoods. The former is really only valuable when going up against cops that are also organized.

It would take an incredible "leader" in a group of "BG" to convert military "small team tactics" to be useful to "mug" or "rape" some victim... see what I mean?

Bottom line... they use whatever gun with whatever bullets available. What they do bring that is more to "fear" is the intent to commit harm. A BG with a $20.00 folder IS MUCH more dangerous than one with a tricked out 45 - and also has no real intent to pull the trigger.

Remember the AOI triad, which is a triangle on which each point represents a factor that must be present for a BG to commit a violent crime - or pretty much any other crime for that matter (This is similar in concept to the FIRE triad... whose 3 factors are fuel, oxygen, and heat).

For violent crime (as it relates to us here) it is:

Ability.
Opportunity.
Intent.

Just my opinion.

#28 ·
Here there are no permits anybody 21 or older can buy pistol ammo 18 and up rifle or shotgun ammo,but in most stores bg might buy ammo at like walmart they would either buy cheap FMJ or cheap hollowpoints,they wouldn't normally go online and buy high dollar golden sabre or HST or any other premium JHP

#30 ·
I've been a fan of the docu-drama The First 48 for years on A&E. I notice that the majority of the bad guys on the show use round nose ball but aren't nearly as limited to certain calibers as many believe. Revolvers don't get a lot of use but they still are used. I've seen 50AEs and 44Mags used on the show but not nearly as much as 9mm, 40, and 45 to a lesser degree.

One young guy in Memphis last year made a 50 ft head shot with a G21 in a street gunfight against an enraged drug dealer that used his car as cover. When the deceased raised his head to initiate a second string of fire on the shooter, he was struck right between the eyes with a single shot. PD said the shooter should be teaching in the academy LOL. They ruled it justifiable homicide.

He said he brought some "protection" after the drug dealer began harassing the fellow about a month earlier for being seen in the neighborhood the dealer "runs" without being on the payroll.

#32 ·
I am not a crimniologist and I don't play one on TV.

So my opinion here is worth about what you guys have paid for it.

But here goes: they use the most easily available ammo, often that means what's already in the gun when they steal, buy or trade for it. Other times, the cheapest.

My guess is FMJ most of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.