What is the most common caliber used by law enforcement? - Page 2

What is the most common caliber used by law enforcement?

This is a discussion on What is the most common caliber used by law enforcement? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Local PD uses .40 cal. Glocks. State Police uses .45 Glocks or Para Ordnances....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Local PD uses .40 cal. Glocks. State Police uses .45 Glocks or Para Ordnances.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I would halfway educated guess that the .40 Smith&Wesson is the most widely used LEO caliber these days.

It's possible that I could be wrong but, I seldom am.
    i would say .40 also.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Tulsa PD carry's the Glock 40 cal with Golden sabres.
    Okiemountaineer

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    9mm,.40cal,or .45

CZ says on their website:

"CZ 75 B is used by more Governments, Militaries, Police and Security agencies than any other pistol in the world. "
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt View Post
    I can't vouch for the accuracy of this guy's data but he's worked at it for a few years trying to keep it up to date.
    Agency Issue (Very Long) - Real Police: Law Enforcement,Police Officer,Criminal Justice,Background Checks website...

Thanks. It's not the one I remember seeing, but this one shows more than just handguns.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

8 years ago the FBI was phasing out the Glocks (did not meet their requirements as expected). They are currently switching to .40 from 9mm, not sure which gun.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    8 years ago the FBI was phasing out the Glocks (did not meet their requirements as expected). They are currently switching to .40 from 9mm, not sure which gun.
    Don't know if the FBI is phasing out their Glocks, had not heard that from any of the guys, but they've been issuing .40 in Glock 22 and a few 23s for several years.
    183 FBINA

This was from my Father in law (retired FBI), and again this was 8 years ago. They may have switched to a different model of Glock after reasessing their expectations with Glock.

I do know that he still goes shooting with some of them at the local FED range, and they have phased out the 9mm to .40 (much to his distress, he owns 9mm and .38 and has to bring his own ammo instead of it being provided for him)
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

The majority, somewhere around 75% if I had to guess, of American law enforcement officers and agents have pistols chambered for .40S&W in their holsters.

Look for that number to steadily grow, incrementally, as the trend to upgrade from 9mm pistols continues.

---

The FBI continues to issue Glocks chambered for .40S&W and at least until the next round of contracts that is unlikely to change. (Side note: the FBI has cancelled its personally owned weapons program until further notice, apparently.)
    God, country, family.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I picked up a whole bunch of range brass from the training center range throughout a firearms instructor course I attended. The vast majority of it was .40 and .45, with some 9mm and a very small amount of .357 Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    This was from my Father in law (retired FBI), and again this was 8 years ago. They may have switched to a different model of Glock after reasessing their expectations with Glock.
    8 yrs ago would be about right, maybe a bit longer ago when the FBI went to .40 in Glock 22 and a few 23s. 9mm SIGs prior to that, S&W 1076 prior to the SIGs, 9mm prior to the 1076s, S&W 13 before that.
    183 FBINA

Re that link posted: For what it is worth, several of the listings I happen to have personal knowledge of are either partial, or no longer accurate, listings of issued and/or allowed firearms.
    God, country, family.

There's no way that list, or any list, could ever been 100% accurate. With as many LEAs in the US things are constantly changing. The guy doing the list has done a pretty good job of trying to keep it as accurate and up to date as possible. However, as with anything on the internet there are those who think they know about a particular agency's firearm but really don't know anything but what they've heard or what they think they've seen. I'm sure we've all read some of these accounts from those who think they know what a particular agency issues only to find out the agency doesn't issue any firearm, it's strictly officer personal purchase. How many times has someone posted about what NYPD or Chicago PD issues. They see someone carrying Gun X and assume that is what's issued. It needs to be first hand info, not what someone not with the agency sees and thinks.
    183 FBINA

My PD issues Sig p226 9mm, Talking about changing over to G22

Our County SO issues G22 .40
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links