Why did you choose the caliber that you use? - Page 4

Why did you choose the caliber that you use?

This is a discussion on Why did you choose the caliber that you use? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 45acp, I came to the realization that most gunfights end in about 6 shots so I found myself asking why I need 15 or 16 ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why did you choose the caliber that you use?

45acp, I came to the realization that most gunfights end in about 6 shots so I found myself asking why I need 15 or 16 rounds of 9mm. Unfortunately or fortunate I succumbed to the, "45 never gets smaller then a 45 while the 9mm may expand to a 45."

Also the federal ammunition guys have said a gelatin block can withstand about 30-40 shots of 9mm and 40cal ammo while 45 kills it in about 20.

Read a lot, shoot a lot, and make some hard decisions.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Senior Moderator
    I chose 9mm because that was my service pistol. .38/357 most popular revolver caliber. .308/7.62N ammo availbility and I trust the round. 12 ga. most popular shotgun round and it was the standard patrol long gun. .30carbine I just have a weak spot for M1 carbines
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I chose 9mm because I have arthritis in my wrist and this caliber is easier for me to shoot accurately and with a lot less pain than a .40 or .45.

I carry a model 10. I do it because the back can't take the weight anymore. I used to carry a 1911 but by the time I had all the gear on it just got to be to much by the end of the day. Plus there is virtually no recoil to the model 10 with any ammo. This makes shot placement that much better and faster.

I have 45ACP (XD-45) and 9mm(M&P9c). Because I'm undecided...

If forced to pick only one caliber, right now, I'd be leaning towards the 45, over the 9mm, by a small margin.

Shot placement is far more critical then caliber selection, as long as you are close in power. I'd rather have a centered hit with a 9mm over a grazing shot with my 45 any day. Then, ammo selection weighs in. I prefer Gold Dot for either round. There are others, but Gold Dot has a good reputation, my guns like it, and it's locally available.

My XD-45 is at the gunsmith now being put on a diet. Once it's back, I'll see how easy it carries day to day, tucked in. If it's good, my 9mm M&Pc might start to collect dust in the safe.

Calibers I use

were chosen for ease of carry.

I have an old Smith model 37 that spits 157 grain bullets and weighs less than a pound fully loaded. It's very concealable, so I can pocket carry it almost all the time.

I also carry a Kahr PM9 when I can wear a holster. I never carried a 9 mm until Kahr introduced this very light and small jewel. I like the increased capacity and muzzle velocity, but I have had a few failures to feed and fire during practice.

For absolute reliability, I'll take the revolver in .38 spl.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I carry a 1911 in .45 ACP because:

1. I can control it better than any other pistol
    2. I can conceal it very well
    3. It's combat history is unparalleled though some may argue the 9mm is steeped in tradition as well.
    4. Personally, I like the stopping power that comes with a properly-placed shot.

I know 9mm is cheaper to shoot, but I don't correlate that cost savings with the value of my life. The bottom line is that #1 & #2 above are my primary reasons.

+1 On every point.

My thoughts exactly.
    Heisenberg may have slept here

Senior Moderator
    Because I took out a .22LR, put it on the table and went, "Hmmm."

I took out a .380, set it next to the .22 went, "Yikes."

Then I pulled out a 9mm and placed it next to the .380 and went, "Owww."

Next I pulled out a .40 S&W and put it on the line and said, "WOW."

Finally, I pulled out that .45 ACP and placed it next to the rest. I glanced down the line from .22 all the way to the .45 and words failed me.

It never fails that when I do this same thing to every customer that ever asks me the differences in calibers that when that .45 hits the table their eyes get about three sizes too large for their sockets and most of them just stare.

That and I read the old report done in whatever year by the military where they tested the different calibers in ball ammunition on cattle and cadavers to determine the best caliber for carry in the military.

The findings were that no caliber less than .45 ACP possessed sufficient stopping power. Granted, this was all with ball ammunition, but that's okay, cause the first time I went to the range and accidentally shot off my mag of hollow-points instead of FMJs I had absolutely no qualms about loading up my little CDP with FMJ rounds. It's the ONLY caliber I've ever felt comfortable carrying in FMJ.

I often do carry less than .45 ACP, but there's never been a time when I haven't looked at the muzzle of my .45 or gazed at it's ammo, or even seen the holes it produces in my targets and haven't marveled at just how big it is.

It makes me very glad I'm on the operator end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    It never fails that when I do this same thing to every customer that ever asks me the differences in calibers that when that .45 hits the table their eyes get about three sizes too large for their sockets and most of them just stare.
    Neat story... And I've used that before myself...

But I suggest adding a .357 magnum to the list. - There's no reason to "snub" the revolver rounds.

don't get me wrong... As I said, I carry a .45 myself... But that's only because of the total weapon platform. A 1911 is so much thinner than my .357, and the grips and weighting allow me personally to control it better (again, a personal thing). It's not so much that I think the .45 is better than .357Mag. Both are proven over generations.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear View Post
    Neat story... And I've used that before myself...

But I suggest adding a .357 magnum to the list. - There's no reason to "snub" the revolver rounds.

don't get me wrong... As I said, I carry a .45 myself... But that's only because of the total weapon platform. A 1911 is so much thinner than my .357, and the grips and weighting allow me personally to control it better (again, a personal thing). It's not so much that I think the .45 is better than .357Mag. Both are proven over generations.
    True, true! But I usually condense my "display" to auto or revo depending on what the customer is interested in. If they are looking at just revolvers I'll leave out all the other stuff and just show .22, .38spl, .357mag up to whatever caliber they are looking at (.45 LC .410 (for those who are looking at the Judge)).

If it's autos I leave out the revolver cartridges.

I carry .357s in my Smith and don't feel under gunned. A very proven cartridge!

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    depending on what the customer is interested in.
    I carry .357s in my Smith and don't feel under gunned. A very proven cartridge!
    Oh. Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

Just out of curiosity... (and since it's kind'a getting back to the OP's question...) what ammo do you run in the Smith? I've seen a bunch of ammo lately marked for "short barrel" guns (and have tried some myself in my Officer's sized 1911) and I'm wondering how people like them.

Personally I tried the speer Gold Dot-Short barrel (the only one I have found in 45 ACP) and to be honest, I was surprised how much I liked them.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear View Post
    Oh. Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

Just out of curiosity... (and since it's kind'a getting back to the OP's question...) what ammo do you run in the Smith? I've seen a bunch of ammo lately marked for "short barrel" guns (and have tried some myself in my Officer's sized 1911) and I'm wondering how people like them.

Personally I tried the speer Gold Dot-Short barrel (the only one I have found in 45 ACP) and to be honest, I was surprised how much I liked them.

Currently it's loaded with some Winchester 180gr Partition Gold JHPs.

My EDC today is the Kel-Tec P3AT second generation 380, loaded with Winchester Ranger T.

Sure, if I knew I was going to be in a gun fight, I would prefer to have my Glock 17 or Colt 45 combat commander, but for easy of carry and conceal the little P3AT is my choice for EDC.

I chose my S&W 9mm for several reasons. I was able to acquire the firearm easily, the mfg has a great reputation for reliability and service (whatever you may personally think of the co, S&W firearms have done their duty on the street), the caliber is sufficient for SD, the ammo is cheap enough that I can practice very regularly, I (as a result of the practice) am very proficient with the firearm to the point I can say I will hit my target with the full magazine even if my heart is hammering and my BP is over the moon from adrenaline while I have very little fine motor control left because of the stress, and I like the compact package of my 6906.

I am, however, looking at a Colt 1991 with lust in my heart.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links