Why did you choose the caliber that you use?

This is a discussion on Why did you choose the caliber that you use? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My criteria: 1) Track record & "stopping power" - must be a caliber with an excellent record in service. 2) Widely available ammo - must ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why did you choose the caliber that you use?

My criteria:

1) Track record & "stopping power" - must be a caliber with an excellent record in service.

2) Widely available ammo - must be a caliber you can find at any sporting goods store, and preferably not cost an arm, leg, or firstborn.

3) Controllability - must be able to perform follow-up shots in a timely manner.

Calibers I've decided meet this criteria: .45 ACP and .357 Mag.

Just personally, I wouldn't carry anything smaller than 9mm in an auto or .38 special in a wheelgun. I don't have confidence that anything smaller than those will do the job with a solid hit or two center-of-mass.
    I have confidence that a modern JHP from either .45 ACP or .357 Mag center-of-mass will stop a fight; I have even more confidence that two of them will.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

2. Remove Ads

I chose a platform, and it was availble in ony two calibers. I chose the larger.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I have seen the lack of stopping power from a NATO 9mm first hand in Afghanistan, I'm ok with the design of the gun(M9) in and of itself, but in a 9mm NO FRICKING WAY.

I have carried both the 1911A1 and the M9 and just like the 1911 better. And most importantly to me the guys handling my security element in Afghanistan (SOCOM) trusted the 45ACP over the NATO 9mm. Considering how many rounds they had put into BG's there with both weapons that is the best reccomendation I ever got.

I have never shot someone with the .45 although I carried it for 15 of 20 years but since it's my caboose on the line that is an easy choice.

For a camping weapon, I want sheer power .44 Mag Mountain Backpacker for defense against hungry animals. I'll keep my 1911 avaliable for the real monsters if they show up.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I have seen the lack of stopping power from a NATO 9mm first hand in Afghanistan, I'm ok with the design of the gun(M9) in and of itself, but in a 9mm NO FRICKING WAY.

I have carried both the 1911A1 and the M9 and just like the 1911 better. And most importantly to me the guys handling my security element in Afghanistan (SOCOM) trusted the 45ACP over the NATO 9mm. Considering how many rounds they had put into BG's there with both weapons that is the best reccomendation I ever got.

I have never shot someone with the .45 although I carried it for 15 of 20 years but since it's my caboose on the line that is an easy choice.

For a camping weapon, I want sheer power .44 Mag Mountain Backpacker for defense against hungry animals. I'll keep my 1911 avaliable for the real monsters if they show up.
    I agree. Thankyou for your service.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

My Choice

I don't care much about the caliber, I chose based on the gun I wanted to carry. If I want to carry one of the 1911s today, I'll be using a .45. If I pick a Glock 19, I'll be fine with 9mm. Showing off with a 10mm Revolver open carried at the gunshop, no big deal. Nothing is 100%. Ask Stacy Lim. Pick ammo you like and practice with it. People have survived hits to the heart with JHP .357 mag and people have been killed with .22 shorts from RG revolvers.

got a glock 27 40 cal needed something compact and it fits the bill.

i like to carry my 1911 in the winter sometimes but mostly i stick w/my 9mm because thats what im the most adept and skilled with.
    for the .45 lovers.
    The Gun Zone -- High Speed .45 HST
    Last edited by stormbringerr; May 11th, 2008 at 11:44 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

I wanted to carry a snubbie revolver.

S&W made the most compact and light one.

The 5 shot was the narrowest for concealment.

The biggest round in that was the .357 magnum.

I lose a lot off the .357 with the short barrel - but it's adequate with proper bullet choice. The .38's are nice for practice.

I'm happy with my choice and so are quite a few police detectives.

MARV

I chose the 10mm GLOCK 29 to CCW for several reasons. I am required to carry concealed at work. This means I need a small high powered gun that is comfortable to shoot, and packs a heavy hand. 15 Rounds of 10mm in a subcompact glock do that quite well. In my work environment I may have to shoot through walls, glass, doors, etc . Any place I may need to defeat cover… and the hand gun round that has the best ballistic performance for that is the 10mm. Not to mention I enjoy shooting it, it has less recoil then the .45, a flat trajectory, and quite simply it hits exactly where you put it. The round is also one of our "recommended" rounds. Oh, and the 9x25 option is super cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    10mm AUTO
    Maximum ballistic performance and maximum penetrative power. The ultimate force.
    Quote Originally Posted by FBI 10mm Notes View Post
    First, the 10mm tested better, albeit marginally better, then the .45 and we were commited to adopt the best round. Nevertheless, the 10mm has far superior accuracy, allows for tslightly high capacity than similar sized .45 weapons, is a new cartridge with room for further improvement whereas the .45 weapon has been around for 80 years and is as good as it is ever going to be, and the recoil of the 10mm is softer than that of a comparably sized .45

Another overlooked factor is that frequently the bullet must penetrate some obstacle before reaching the desired target area, such as glass, clothing, arms, etc. …

I like my BGs with BIG holes in them and a M-29 is to heavy and hard to conceal, so my EDC is a .45acp.

Can't say I depend on one caliber alone. I rely on three different calibers, just like I rely on several different pistols. They're all specific tools for specific circumstances. I can honestly say that out of my 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45ACP---not one stands above the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    9mm: cheaper practice ammo, cheaper self defense ammo, ammo availability, high capacity, and less recoil.
    WHat he said. My decision when buying my frst gun was that it'd be a rnage gun to use as self-defense, not a self-sefense gun I take to the range. I've also read that it's not the caliber that makes the differnce in a self-defense scenario but the choice of ammo used. There are more than a few 9mm rounds that are better for self-defense than some .40S&W.

I use Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P and Magtech Guardian Gold 115gr +P ammo for self defense. I'm more accurate with the Golden Sabers than any other self-defense round but the Magtechs have a slightly higher muzzle velocity and energy than the Golden Sabers. The Golden Sabers are in the top five of one-shot stops for the 9mm round at I think about 88%. The Federal Hydrashoks are #1 at 92% and the Gold Dots are also in the top five. I have the Golden Sabers in a 17 round mag and the Magtechs in a 20 round mag but the 17 round one is the one that's in the gun most of the time.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post

9mm NATO rounds aren't meant for stopping power, which is what you want when carrying. I understand the military can't carry anything but FMJs but most of us aren't military. The Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P has a muzzle velocity of 1180 fps and muzzle energy of 384 ft lbs. It also expands very reliably and has about an 88% one-shot stop rating according to the book "Stopping Power: A Practical Analysis of the Latest Handgun Ammunition". It was stated in the book that it's not the caliber that makes the difference but the choice of ammo. The Magtech Guardian Gold has even more impressive ballistics: 1246 fps and 397 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. The book goes on to say that the INS and The Border Patrol, the largest LEA in the country, won't even consider a round unless it has at least 400 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. These two come very close and there are some .40S&W and .45ACP rounds that fall very short of those specs. I'm not trying to create an arguement here, just participate in the discussion. Basically it's a trade off of velocity, momentum and energy and how reliably that enegy can expand a hollow point round in a short amount of distance without exiting, i.e. transferring that energy to exapnd the round enough to stop the BG by creating as much damage as possible.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

44spl...There's no replacement for displacement. The bigger the wound channel the better IMO, and Speer gold dots open up nicely. A concealable 45acp would be better I suppose but alas...so many guns, so little money.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

for me, 9mm or .38. Excellent recoil control in mid-size guns, still-respectable knock-down power, faster follow up shots and cheaper ammo (at least for 9mm).
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links