Why did you choose the caliber that you use?

This is a discussion on Why did you choose the caliber that you use? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do want to get into a caliber war, but I would like to know what your thought process was behind choosing the caliber you ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you choose the caliber that you use?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I do want to get into a caliber war, but I would like to know what your thought process was behind choosing the caliber you use for your EDC.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

9mm: cheaper practice ammo, cheaper self defense ammo, ammo availability, high capacity, and less recoil.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Ron
    Choice of gun, cost of ammo and recoil issues. My preference is 9mm, .38 for my snub nose revolver.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I choose .45 caliber weapons because:

In the past 100 years, no other handgun caliber has won more gunfights, in war or on the streets. In fact, one of the original requirements of the .45ACP was that it had to be able to bring down a charging horse at a distance of 25 yards.

Nuff said about that......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post

In the past 100 years, no other handgun caliber has won more gunfights, in war or on the streets. In fact, one of the original requirements of the .45ACP was that it had to be able to bring down a charging horse at a distance of 25 yards.

I'll go along with that... .45 ACP +1

And as small, light and concealable as my Taurus PT-145 & still hold 10+1 rounds of .45 auto? It was a no brainer for me
    If you own a handgun and your state law allows it, please carry.

VIP Member
    I initially chose a .40 because I felt that 9 was slightly underpowered. I have changed my mind, and gone actually to the opposite side. I now prefer 380.

There is a constant trade off. Size and ease of carry--the .40 is a tad too big for pocket carry, which is my preferred method out of necessity.

380 is much more controllable (for me) and I can fire much more rapidly and accurately.

Throw in too, the fact that I really like my Colt Mustang and can find some good to perhaps excellent self defense rounds for it.

If I were to get another gun, I would have a tough choice as to which one--probably either a p3at or a 642, and that choice would dictate the caliber.

For us ordinary civilians who will likely never ever have to use our weapons, ease of carry and convenience are important factors in picking the gun, and therefore the caliber.

The caliber question is a bit like asking the ordinary commuter if he would rather have a Honda Civic or a Ford Expedition. It just all depends. Everyone's situation is a little different. That's why the manufacturers produce such a wide array of guns and ammo.

Years ago, while serving as a reserve police officer, some of the training referred to the "Hatcher Scale Of Relative Stopping Power". Back then the .38 was just being phased out and the .357 coming in as a duty weapon. However, the .357 just made the lower end of the scale as a reliable stopping weapon. The .45 (not a duty weapon at the time) was rated very highly. This is the primary reason I usually carry a .45 now and sometimes a 9mm. For more info check out the following.

http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell-Cooper.htm
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by diablo111 View Post
    I'll go along with that... .45 ACP +1

And as small, light and concealable as my Taurus PT-145 & still hold 10+1 rounds of .45 auto? It was a no brainer for me
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post

Never have words more true been spoken!
    Think twice
    Buy once!

When choosing a firearm for hunting (handgun or rifle), I'll choose a caliber and then pick a firearm in that caliber. For CCH, I choose the weapon that fits my carry needs and then pick the caliber based on what is offered for that firearm. For my 3 primary CCH firearms, my reasons were as follows:

Sig P239 SAS -- Choices were 40 S&W, 357 Sig, and 9mm. I chose the 40 S&W. Regardless of caliber, there was no size change in the firearms so to me it only made sense to go with the 40. While I find the 357 Sig an interesting cartridge, I have no experience with it and ammo is not as readily available over the counter as either the 40 or the 9. While modern 9mm ammo is an effective defense cartridge, the P239 is heavy enough to make it comfortable to shoot with the 40 so go for the larger, heavier bullet.

Kahr PM9 -- Choices were 9mm or 40 S&W. Went with the 9mm as most reports of malfunctions for this particular firearm were centered around the 40. Minimal problems reported with the 9. Also, this is a very lightweight firearm and I felt that the 40 would be a little snappier than necessary in what was predominately a secondary or pocket carry firearm.

Ruger LCP -- Only choice was 380 so that's what I got. This gun only weighs 11.95 ounces fully loaded with 7 Remington 102 gr. Golden Sabers making it an excellent choice for those times that "nothing else fits".

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Lead Moderator
    . 40 S&W , cause that was and is what is issued for my former dept. I went .45 ACP cause thats what a 1911 is suppose to be chambered for(traditional sense).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If I'm going to start tossing lead, why not toss as much as possible? I prefer my .45 for the same reasons listed above, but I also do not want to be focused on an 'ammo stash' in various calibers.
    I have ammo for various weapons but have lots of three main types: .45 for my EDC, .223 for my evil black rifle, and 00buck for my home SD coachgun.
    Other calibers are stored, but not in huge quantities...just seems like the thing to do.

Stay armed...keep a stash...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I chose .45 because of the 1911 platform, I've always loved the looks, history, and functionality of it. It doesn't hurt that it lobs a big heavy hunk of metal either.

357 Sig, Protects the Prez , It's good enough for me.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I do want to get into a caliber war, but I would like to know what your thought process was behind choosing the caliber you use for your EDC.
    I have a few choices in my off duty carry, won't discuss on duty much.

My choices are based on what I know works, and what I like to shoot. Since I'm a wheelgunner at heart it should come as no suprise that I favor the .357 Magnum loaded with 125 Grain JHP's.

I can shoot 38 Special out of the same gun, and do shoot that out of my BUG, but I prefer the .357 Magnum for it's proven fight stopping ability.

My second most carried caliber for a "Primary" is the 45 ACP. I like this round also, for it's proven ability too. Eventhough the "statistics" are fairly close in all of my carry guns, as far as one shot stopping percentages, I feel that the 45 beats the 9mm in the "Temporary Wound Cavity" department. Just because we can't measure something doesn't mean it's not there.

Yes, the 9mm will work, and I have a couple. It is carried when I feel I may need large ammo capacity, like out hiking in the desert. Lots of illegals and drug runners out there these days. The 9mm is a little better than the 38 Special, but niether is my favored caliber. Both of those rounds are at the floor as far as what I regard as "adequate" for fight stopping ability.

I rely on no handgun round to stop a fight. I always have a back-up plan. I've seen too many guns fail to trust any of them. I just want mine to work when I need it.

Biker

1943 - 2009
    For me, it harks back to my old Army MP days, when we carried the M1911A1. I never had to fire it in anger, but I knew guys that did. One solid hit was enough to render the BG DRT.

Back then, I was so envious of the Air Force SPs, because they carried real police guns (S&W M15 revolvers). Little did I know that their issued M41 anemic 130 grain FMJ ammo was not much better than a glorified BB.

Then when I went into civilian LE, I experimented with the whole gamut of off duty guns and calibers, but always went back to the .45 ACP, a choice I still make today.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links