moving to a cold climate area

This is a discussion on moving to a cold climate area within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am moving from Phx AZ to Flagstaff AZ, about 7000 foot elevation difference, and it is COLD in flag. I have heard that JHP's ...

Thread: moving to a cold climate area

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

moving to a cold climate area

I am moving from Phx AZ to Flagstaff AZ, about 7000 foot elevation difference, and it is COLD in flag. I have heard that JHP's somtimes are not effective against people in heavy winter clothing, is this true? If so, are the EFMJ's a better alternative? Or is it all hype? Shooting 9mm btw.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Do you carry any +P in the 9mm? I would think anything with 9-12" of penetration should still be effective.

If your HP fails to expand, what are you left with? A bullet the same diameter and weight as you started with, just the same as a FMJ. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I agree with Roadrunner...because...it's still going to leave 'mark'...

You are going to a great place...we loved it there (just a visit). Around halfway up to Flagsttaff, is Prescott...absolutely beautiful, also...

I do remember having to make a 'breathing' adjustment the first few nights...you'll see!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm in MI, where it gets chilly from time to time. I stick with the 147gr jhps, partially because they have more consistent expansion with and without 4 layers of denim than the lighter rounds. Supposedly the deeper cavity doesn't clog up as readily.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    I have heard that JHP's somtimes are not effective against people in heavy winter clothing, is this true? If so, are the EFMJ's a better alternative?
    Any bullet needs to get through the "barrier" to get the job done. Winter clothing adds more crud to gum up the HP in JHP's, yes.

What's enough? Who's to say? There aren't a lot of cadaver shooting tests that I'm aware of, testing various clothing, etc.

What I do: If a given bullet is shown in standardized tests to penetrate 9" and another is shown to penetrate an average of 13", then I can be reasonably assured that the latter choice will penetrate more in a given situation. Barring evidence to the contrary, that's about as good as it gets, unless you're prepared to do your own practical testing.

I go with the Speer Gold Dot bullet, in the DoubleTap variety. Reasonable expansion characteristics, good power and penetration. 9mm JHP 124gr, here.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I carry 115 Grain +P+ JHP's or 124 Grain +P's in 9mm.

Actually I prefer the 45 ACP in the winter due to the "clogging up the hollowpoint" issues. The 9mm can and will work if you do your part however.

Good luck and enjoy Flag, I've been there a few times.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    If one leak doesn't do the job make another.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

EFMJ

I tested a few of these (in .45acp) in wet newspaper through drywall, heavy clothes, thin plywood, and plain wet newspaper. They all looked identical. If you must have expansion under those conditions, they work as advertised. I actually prefer a bullet that expands and fragments, personally. Of course, here in FL, heavy outerwear usually means a long sleeved T shirt

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I'm currently running 124g Hydra Shoks, I'll probally just upgrade to 147g, and hope I never have to use them. Thanks for the replies!
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I'm currently running 124g Hydra Shoks, I'll probally just upgrade to 147g, and hope I never have to use them. Thanks for the replies!
    I wouldn't upgrade to the 147 grain if you are worrying about the reliability of your hollowpoints being effective against winter clothing. That weight causes the round to travel too slowly, IMO and may reflect an unreliable expansion which can get clogged up on a winter coat. I live in Alaska, carry a 9mm as well, and use 124 grain premium ammunition from a reputable manufacturer. That is what I would suggest. 124 or 115 grain.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

I am moving from Phx AZ to Flagstaff AZ, about 7000 foot elevation difference, and it is COLD in flag. I have heard that JHP's somtimes are not effective against people in heavy winter clothing, is this true? If so, are the EFMJ's a better alternative? Or is it all hype? Shooting 9mm btw.
    I live in Minnesota and JHPs work just fine up here, even in the winter, even against a couple of sweatshirts.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Links