Federal HST vs, Hydra-Shock pics - .40s&w

This is a discussion on Federal HST vs, Hydra-Shock pics - .40s&w within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sticks The Hydra-Shocks are good, don't get me wrong, but there is an over penetration concern, and the wound tract looks like ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Federal HST vs, Hydra-Shock pics - .40s&w

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    The Hydra-Shocks are good, don't get me wrong, but there is an over penetration concern, and the wound tract looks like it would be more of a "push" the media to the side, and it closes it up behind it, whereas the HST "cuts" leaving a more...nasty wound, and it has greater expansion .
    <-- See the avatar I agree 100%. Consistently makes the ugliest hole I have ever seen. I shoot the very last thing I would want to be hit with in .45. You may have seen these pics but if not very similar results as what you got
    Ballistics testing Index
    Federal HST 9mm vs 45 acp
    Denim testing 9mm, .45ACP, 357
    another set of pretty impressive testing
    Terminal .45 no HST
    Terminal .45 with HST
    I have other links if you like. But I am sure seeing from your own tests is a lot more fun. I am looking at doing some of my own for that reason. What is impressive on the last page the HST looks identical going thru denim as not

Quote Originally Posted by dsonyay View Post
    looks like they stop on a dime. nice.
    Those are not dimes
    Last edited by LongRider; May 7th, 2008 at 05:48 AM. Reason: added link
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Glad I all ready picked up a box for the .45s, and several for the 9mm, otherwise I'd be ticked off that I need to run out and buy more ammunition.

Now I just gotta' get some 147s to go along w/ the 124+Ps.
    Don't forget about those 155 and 165gr .40 S&W that you bought.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post

Those are not dimes
    Nope, them be quarters. Might be only worth a dime, but they are quarters.

As advertised...100%+ expansion.

Long Rider, I have read several of the ballistics testing results performed by independent agencies and that is what prompted me to get some HSTs, but I still needed to check it out for myself.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    The 9mm 147gr HST penetrates better than the 124gr +p and as well as the .45. It also expands just shy of the .45.

Definitely a superb SD round.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I'd like to see pics of those HSTs next to some Winchester Ranger SXT LE rounds...

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    I'd like to see pics of those HSTs next to some Winchester Ranger SXT LE rounds...
    I would be more than happy to do that for you if you send me a box of ammo + $3 for water. I'll do as many different rounds that you want
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Nope, them be quarters. Might be only worth a dime, but they are quarters.
    Worth a dime !! Please !! Please, tell me where you are getting your ammo !! Think I am paying more than five times that a round.

As advertised...100%+ expansion.
    And they gain weight as they expand.

Long Rider, I have read several of the ballistics testing results performed by independent agencies and that is what prompted me to get some HSTs, but I still needed to check it out for myself.
    Absolutely agree about doing your own testing. Nothing like seeing for yourself. Next best thing is having folks like you sharing your results. Great pics & I appreciate them, always nice to get my decisions validated from independent sources. I need to do some testing of my own as well. I have been waiting to get a Bullet test Tube now that outside temps are getting reasonable for that kind of media. The plan is to do some side by side water jug, phone book / newspaper and Bullet test Tube tests to get as broad a range of info as I can. Especially since the wife has the .380 Bersa now and apparently there is no HST ammo available for it. Definitely need to know she has the most effective round we can find. We have some Remington Golden Saber for her to test in her gun for now after break in. Golden Sabers are highly under rated round IMO. I prefer them to Rangers.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

... Especially since the wife has the .380 Bersa now and apparently there is no HST ammo available for it. Definitely need to know she has the most effective round we can find. We have some Remington Golden Saber for her to test in her gun for now after break in. Golden Sabers are highly under rated round IMO. I prefer them to Rangers.
    Ammunition to go

.380 auto LE Hydra-Shock

On Edit I saw the LE and thought it was the HST. I wonder what the difference is, they have standard and LE Hydra-Shocks.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Ammunition to go

.380 auto LE Hydra-Shock

On Edit I saw the LE and thought it was the HST. I wonder what the difference is, they have standard and LE Hydra-Shocks.
    Good you caught it. Thanks for looking, though. You had me all excited and feeling dumb because that is where I buy alot of my ammo and I could not find .380 HST. A search for HST only brings up 9mm, .40 & .45. Hydro-Shocks are not at all the same at all, which is why I went with the Golden Sabers. An aside, I just learned that .380 ammo costs about the same as .45, while 9mm ammo is half the price, what is up with that?
    Last edited by LongRider; May 8th, 2008 at 03:58 PM.

Great pictures...thanks for sharing. Just ordered me 5 boxes of 124 gr. +P HST's to test out!

Good you caught it. Thanks for looking, though. You had me all excited and feeling dumb because that is where I buy alot of my ammo and I could not find .380 HST. A search for HST only brings up 9mm, .40 & .45. Hydro-Shocks are not at all the same at all, which is why I went with the Golden Sabers. An aside, I just learned that .380 ammo costs about the same as .45, while 9mm ammo is half the price, what is up with that?

I would go with the Ranger Talons in .380, I believe they're in stock right now. After that in .380 I'd go with the Gold Dots and then the Hydra shoks. But really any of those should get the job done. Unfortunately there is no HST in .380 (I guess either to keep costs down or because they figure not many law enforcement agencies use .380).

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    Try here: Bullet results after firing

So, are we talking about which bullet kills the best?

Make sure to test these HST's in your firearm ensuring they cycle properly. I ordered 2 boxes of HST (230 gr, .45) from ammuntiontogo. When testing these I had several feeding problems (about 5) in a box of 50. I have the SA XD45 Compact. Ordered some Double Tap 230 and 185 gr Gold Dots to try out (These look like they are pretty potent as well, if not more so!)

I'm carrying the Ranger Talons in everything these days.

Thanks so much for the great pictures
    Last edited by tns0038; May 14th, 2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: oops

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links