Federal HST vs, Hydra-Shock pics - .40s&w - Page 4

Federal HST vs, Hydra-Shock pics - .40s&w

This is a discussion on Federal HST vs, Hydra-Shock pics - .40s&w within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TacticalCompact I'd like to see pics of those HSTs next to some Winchester Ranger SXT LE rounds... Did you look at the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Federal HST vs, Hydra-Shock pics - .40s&w

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    I'd like to see pics of those HSTs next to some Winchester Ranger SXT LE rounds...
    Did you look at the Ballistic tests Index
    9mm Ballistic test # 1
    And the results.............
    Round 3 - 9mm JHP's through Tshirts
    Denim testing 9mm, .45ACP, 357 magnum

Those are the best side by side pics / tests I have found. Mostly 9mm but still I think it gives a fair example of what to expect out of a specific brand / make
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Expensive suckers but not nearly as bad as some of the other premium sounds. Which I do not think perform as well. So I suppose a good deal all things considered. I was thinking of doing a group buy but even at 500 rounds through Ammunition To Go the savings are not that great. They do have I think 250 round packages of .380 Remington Golden Sabers for $65 which is a great deal IMO. But I had already ordered Rangers for the wifes Bersa. May still pick those up though depending on how the Rangers look after I test a few rounds. I did like the Golden Sabers in .45 almost as much as the HST.
    That's a huge savings for the .380 Golden Sabers. I'll have to check that out.

As far as the cost of the HST's, once I completely finish reliability testing and purchase a stockpile, I'll find a cheaper practice round.

I read this entire thread but it's been awhile, and you may have covered this already, but did you test the HST vs. the HST +P? Which do you prefer?

I had planned to use the HST, but when I tested both, I was a little more accurate with the +P. My theory is that the bullet went downrange quicker and thus any bad shooting habits of mine had less time to affect the path of the bullet.

What do you think? I suppose +P's will wear the spring a little more, but I don't shoot a lot right now. I'm trying to buy as many supplies (guns and bullets) before the election. What's your opinion on the HST standard pressure vs. the HST +P?

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I had planned to use the HST, but when I tested both, I was a little more accurate with the +P.
    Looks like you answered your own question Springs are easily replaceable lives are harder to come by. IMO always go with what is more accurate out of your gun placement takes priority over a bullets performance. As you know .22 FMJ that you hit COM with is far better than the howitzer you miss with

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    IMO always go with what is more accurate out of your gun
    When you say it like that, it seems all too obvious what the right choice is. Guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees. Thanks for setting me straight.

I have read lots of posts stating standard pressure is just fine, and I was concerned about premature wear on a gun, plus a prosecutor making a big deal about +P being "the most powerful, destructive bullet you could find."

But you are entirely correct saying springs can be replaced, and shot placement being key. I'm not THAT much more accurate with +P's, maybe shrinking my groups 3/4" at 7 yards, but that might be enough to end a fight quicker. And at further distances, the margin of error grows.

Don't know what I was thinking. I've got 100 rounds of each to continue testing, so when I'm done, I'll carry whatever is more accurate regardless of what it is.

As far as the potential of a prosecutor making a big deal out of bullet choice and possibly getting a bad jury after a good self-defense shooting, I subscribe to Gabe Suarez's thoughts on the matter: "Being broke or in prison is temporary. Being dead isn't."

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    ...plus a prosecutor making a big deal about +P being "the most powerful, destructive bullet you could find."

As far as the potential of a prosecutor making a big deal out of bullet choice and possibly getting a bad jury after a good self-defense shooting, I subscribe to Gabe Suarez's thoughts on the matter: "Being broke or in prison is temporary. Being dead isn't."
    It's an obscene thought, unlikely and Hollywoodish in it's concept (especially when referring to 9mm) and yet frighteningly possible.

I would be hard put to keep from saying "You would rather I stopped the perpetrator, with a long violent criminal history, from killing my wife and myself with a squirt gun, hoping on the off chance he was allergic to water or hydrophobic? If only shark repellent worked so well on lawyers."
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I really like how the HST looks when its expanded. I'd like to get some expanded ones, paint them to look like flowers.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I carry the 230gr HST in my Ultra Compact. I have fired 24 rounds and have had no problems. The results in wet news paper is perfect. The bullet penetrated 10 1/2 inches from 12' and did not fragment.

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I really like how the HST looks when its expanded. I'd like to get some expanded ones, paint them to look like flowers.
    I photoshoped a T-shirt design like that HST Flower Power & Flower Power 2008

Quote Originally Posted by SSgtWaldo View Post
    I carry the 230gr HST in my Ultra Compact. I have fired 24 rounds and have had no problems. The results in wet news paper is perfect. The bullet penetrated 10 1/2 inches from 12' and did not fragment.
    Welcome SSgt. aboard Just 226 more rounds and you'll be sure they reliable enough for SD in your gun.

Inquiring minds want to see

re:

The Federal HST is good stuff, I have some for all 3 of my pistols !
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1 TRP SS
    Glock 17
    Glock 32 ( w/ 23 barrel )
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9

Federal HST sounds very nice. Here is a picture of 3 bullets expanded in water, with a .45 ACP round in background
    Federal HydraShock, Cor-Bon DPX, and the Remington Golden Saber, all in .380 cal *9mm short

It would be nice to see some tests and pictures (or links) of the Cor Bon bullets and how they stack up in penetration and expansion in the 9mm, 40 S&W (10mm short) and .45 ACP.
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by Darth AkSarBen View Post
    It would be nice to see some tests and pictures (or links) of the Cor Bon bullets and how they stack up in penetration and expansion in the 9mm, 40 S&W (10mm short) and .45 ACP.
    This is a .40 HST thread though I did derail it a bit with my .45 pic but it was an HST. To get on topic can you post a pic with your HydraShok on a quarter so we can compare your HydraShok to the HST pics here? If you read the thread there are some links to pics with the comparisons you are looking for

Both are great ammo and more than capable of killin..

Great pics!! Its nice to see the difference side by side like that.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    --Thomas Jefferson

“We are not retreating—we are advancing in another direction.”
    General Douglas MacArthur

Sometimes I think there is an "optimal" speed that ammo works the best. In some of the high velocity .40 and other pics, I see the bullet like the Remington Golden Saber looking more like a deformed round ball from a musket. While I was just shooting GS out of a .380 with shorter barrel, it expanded but not so violently that the lead "wrapped around". It made for a better FLAT mushroom and perhaps that might be key. Enough speed for good expansion but not so much that it creates the lead wrap-around effect.
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links