DPX or Pow'rBall?

DPX or Pow'rBall?

This is a discussion on DPX or Pow'rBall? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anybody has used both DPX and Pow'rBall ammo and actually noticed a significant difference. I'm wanting to upgrade my defensive ammo ...

Thread: DPX or Pow'rBall?

DPX or Pow'rBall?

I was wondering if anybody has used both DPX and Pow'rBall ammo and actually noticed a significant difference. I'm wanting to upgrade my defensive ammo and I have a Sprinfield XD .40 cal. I'm probably going to experiment with both to come to my own conclusion, but we all know it has never hurt to ask for a second opinion.
    Guns Don't Kill People.........Trauma To Vital Organs & Loss Of Blood Kill People

I like DPX better as it stays in one piece where PowR Ball the jacket, core, and ball all seperate.

DPX is the way to go unless money or reliability is a problem. DPX is expensive with the price of copper going through the roof. Pow'rBall will feed in any gun that feeds FMJ. I have tried both and prefer the DPX to Pow'rball for overall performance, having said that, I would not hesitate to use the Pow'rBall if the DPX becomes too cost prohibitive.
    God bless our troops!

Personally I use Power ball; But that being said, I have used Corbon ammo exclusively since 1987, and never had a problem with it. It is the hottest amo out there, and well worth the money.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Agreed with all of the above.

Do understand that DPX and Powrball are two completely different bullet loadings.
    DPX is an ultra modern and highly effective against soft and hard barriers specialty defense bullet, while Powrball is just normal/average bullet design copper plated lead JHP with a polymer 'ball' embedded in it's tip to ensure good feed with a wide range of SA barrel ramp profiles.

If your gun will feed them then hands down DPX makes the most overall all purpose to save your life (!) sense and cents, even at it's extraordinary price point due to the current cost of copper.
    If it for some odd reason will not feed in your gun and other _quality_ JHPs won't either then that is the quite small niche situation that Powerball addreses.

As noted by 9x23 be sure your firearm can support +P+ loadings as Corbon ammo tends to be 'hot' regardless of type.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

This is a copy of a post that I did several weeks ago in response to a question about Power Ball ammo.
    "I have done penetration tests and expansion tests on various 9mm ammo and the Power R Ball was the only one to expand 100% of the time.
    Penetration tests was simply 4 Raleigh phonebooks stacked on top each other. The PrB never penetrated more than 1 and 1/2 books. 115 gr DPX would clog with paper and penetrate well into the 4th book, same for Golden Sabres, Hydra-Shock only did not penetrate as far. Gold Dot would expand about 50% of the time. When they did they would penetrate into the third book about 1/4 distance. When they didn't the fourth book took a licking.
    Expansion tests utilized a one inch thick X 4 inch pine board duct taped to a gallon milk jug filled with water. Placed in front of a bullet trap tightly packed with old blankets and pillows that were being thrown away. All of the above mention loads expanded, most pretty impressive. Cover the pine board with a scrap of blue jean material and the only one to expand 100% of the time was the PrB.
    Now I don't know the fancy math and all, but 100 gr traveling at a high fraction of the posted velocity of around 1400 fps impacting the breastbone of a BG in the area of the thoraic triangle is going to slow the threat down considerable, especially if it's diameter is increased 40 to 50%."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIP Member
    I've used the Taurus version [.45acp] of the DPX and it was unreliable in my 1911. It would be worth a try, though the pw'R'ball should feed just like ball ammo.
    I do carry .40 pw'R'balls.

Just thought i would add a footnote for all:

One reason I use Corbon ammo is because of their common sense approach to the lethal defense ammo equation. You can use all of the high-tech bullets you want, but Peter Pi knows that the real key is and always has been velocity. You have to get the velocity to a sufficient level to cause a violent energy transfer into the target. With that being said, I remember some posts regarding what weapon you would carry in the woods, to say, fend off a bear or mountain lion. Of course, the recommendations all started with a .357 mag, preferably a .44 mag if possible.

I just got my Glock annual in the mail (I shoot them and belong to their club because they were nice enough to let me win a G34 at a match a couple of years ago) and lo and behold, what do I find? In the "tales of the gun" section i find a story about a man in Anchorage, AK who was awakened by the sounds of an apparent break in around 2:30am. Upon grabbing his surefire 6P and his weapon, he found the perpetrator to be a full grown grizzly bear. he stood his ground as the bear charged, and engaged the bear with his Glock .40 caliber (yes, a .40 S&W, not a 10mm) pistol, hitting the animal with 9 out of 10 shots, 4 being fatal wounds. The bear dropped in his tracks dead. After police arrived, they found that the rounds had done their job, killing the bear.

The rounds he used in his .40 caliber pistol?

180 Grain CorBon hollowpoints, 1300fps velocity..........
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Personally I use Power ball; But that being said, I have used Corbon ammo exclusively since 1987, and never had a problem with it. It is the hottest amo out there, and well worth the money.....
    That's a bold statement...

I used to carry Corbon ammo and have no issues with it specifically, but my preferences changed when I found out about this company.

osCommerce

Hottest self-defense ammunition that I have found to date.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Here is a good site I learned about a day or so ago. I think there is some info on both for one cartridge. May be 9mm but not sure.
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/

Regards,
    Jerry

I use Corbon DPX in my every weapon I own except my M1 Garand...and I'm thinking about reloading a Barnes all copper bullet in it now that I think about it...

9mm:

Corbon 9mm 115

45 ACP:

Cor-Bon DPX .45 ACP

short barrel & compact frame 45 ACP:

Corbon

.38 Special:

110 grain Cor-Bon DPX

I say....Hang the Cost! Why pay for expensive weapons and short change yourself on cheap ammo...eh? That is like buying an expensive Sports Car and putting cheap tires on it.

Links