Dpx 380?

Dpx 380?

This is a discussion on Dpx 380? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here are the specs on the Corbon JHP 380 and the DPX 380... JHP: 90 GR. 1050 FPS 220 FTLBS DPX: 80 GR. 1050 FPS ...

Thread: Dpx 380?

Question Dpx 380?

Here are the specs on the Corbon JHP 380 and the DPX 380...

JHP:
    90 GR. 1050 FPS 220 FTLBS

DPX:
    80 GR. 1050 FPS 196 FTLBS

I stood in the store with both cartridges in my hand. The DPX has a deeper core, which makes sense why it would have a larger expansion, but I don't get how it could penetrate more.

Can someone explain to me how the DPX bullet is supposed to penetrate deeper when it has less energy and is a lighter grain than the regular JHP?
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

Makes little sense from a physics standpoint. Might be because the bullet is all copper? I know the Barnes X bullets are great. They are very pricey, I use them to reload for 7 Mag and 300 Win Mag. They do their job, but I am not familiar with the handgun bullets.

Simple, the DPX will weigh 80grn, when shot, 80 grn, after impact, and 80 grn when it stops.
    The copper/lead JHP will weigh 90 when shot, <90 after impact, and <<90 when it stops. So it is shedding energy as it sheds mass due to the bullet breaking up.

Kevin

VIP Member
    I had the opportunity to try a box of Corbon DPX in my Sig P232 this weekend. Reliability was flawless. Accuracy was lacking. 5" group at 7 yards. The DPX rounds were very inconsistant. I'll stick with Federal Hydrashok and Remington Golden Saber for now. Accuracy is most important in my book.
    Last edited by ctr; May 18th, 2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling

I actually liked the DPX. They were plenty accurate, and very easy to shoot. Recoil is very mild. No jamming problems at all. But I was only punching holes in paper, so I don't know the actual penetration/expansion capabilities first hand.

I did find a bunch of internet articles and postings that say it does penetrate quite well though.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

Links