10mm for Glock 20 ammo recommendation

This is a discussion on 10mm for Glock 20 ammo recommendation within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My main decision point for caliber (in this case) was bear potent and semi-auto (not revolver) in a handgun and I came to the logical ...

Thread: 10mm for Glock 20 ammo recommendation

My main decision point for caliber (in this case) was bear potent and semi-auto (not revolver) in a handgun and I came to the logical conclusion of 10mm.

I have just picked up a glock model 20. Primary use will be carrying shoulder-holster against 4 legged predators (bear, etc. ...)while hunting or other activities in the woods. Will NOT be used to hunt game. Maybe sometimes carry for protection against 2 legged predators (I already have my 9mm for that).

I see that there are all sorts of loads for the 10mm, but I am ignorant of what I should use. I have read that at full power, the 10mm is ballistically equivalent to 41 Magnum. I am thinking this is what I want to load for protection against bear while I am hunting. Is my thinking correct?

I am also looking for the cheapest FMJ for practice.

So, I am hoping for knowledgeable recommendations for:

(1) best load for defense against bear

(2) different loads for 2 legged predators and pros/cons of each

(3) cheapest ball ammo I can get for practice.

When I picked up the gun, I bought 50 rounds of remington FMJ and 40 rounds of Hornady 155grain HP/XTP for defense.

I plan on buying a sam andrews monarch shoulder holster, truglo TFO's and multiple pre-Klinton II mags. Then make sure it and I perform without malfunctions on ball and selected SD ammo. Then put it in the safe and keep it to wear while I am hunting/mountain biking/etc. ...

I do not plan on high round count on this glock. I have the 9mm glocks for main SD and carry.

Thanks in advance.

bae
    Here is the path:

DoubleTap 10mm Ammo

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    1.) Bear - This is what I carry in my G20

2.) Two legged animals - any quality ammo that functions reliably in your G20, but I have these and these in the 155 gr.

3.) Good luck. If you find a good cheap source let me know.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I like 165gr Double Tap....but for dangerous critters I'd probably opt for 200 or 230gr bullets. Double Tap is loaded hot...if you shoot it back to back with other commercial 10mm ammo you can definitely tell a difference. I had to get a 27lb recoil spring for my 10mm Commander in order to shoot the stuff without beating the gun up too badly.

Home Page

Item No. 21A/20 200 gr. F.M.J. - F.N. (1,200fps/M.E. 639 ft.lbs.) Per Box of 20
    $24.14
    Order Now
    Item No. 21B/20 180 gr. Speer Uni Core - J.H.P. (1,350fps/M.E. 728 ft.lbs.) Per Box of 20
    $24.14
    Order Now

About Buffalo Bore 10mm ammo

The Buffalo Bore Heavy 10 mm ammo is the result of several years of customers request that we produce two such loads for the 10 mm.

Both velocities are taken from standard 5 inch 1911 type pistols. These loads bring out the full potential of the 10mm, but operate at standard pressures and as such, are safe to use in any standard 10mm pistol. Please don't phone us and ask if these loads are safe in your 10mm--THEY ARE--provided your 10mm is a normal operating pistol in good condition.

We are using flash-suppressed powders so your vision will not be materially affected should you be required to drop the hammer in low light.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Thanks for the input and looking for any other input from people who have and shoot 10mm. This sure is going to be expensive to feed.

Maybe I should start hanging out in the reloading forum.

Again, thanks!

I am seriously thinking about getting a G20 to carry when I am hiking, so this tread is of interest to me too! I have also noticed that ammo is expensive, when you can find it, thank goodness for the internet.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I am seriously thinking about getting a G20 to carry when I am hiking, so this tread is of interest to me too! I have also noticed that ammo is expensive, when you can find it, thank goodness for the internet.
    Since I will be using while hunting, I will be using a shoulder holster. I have a Sam Andrews Monarch shoulder rig ordered for the 20. I already have one for the 22/17 and like it. Andrews Custom Leather

Belt access while hunting (w/ overalls, etc. ...) would be too difficult so I have chosen the shoulder holster route.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    I plan on buying a sam andrews monarch shoulder holster, truglo TFO's and multiple pre-Klinton II mags.

Why not just buy new hicaps as the ban is over...

I don't mean to be a stickler, but I prefer normal capacity and neutered capacity. :)

"pre-Klinton II mags" was a feeble attempt at humor. Implying that I am preparing for the possibility of a 2nd ban (current presidential candidates) and am going to stock up on the 15 rounders now.

Sojourner I think you are right about the shoulder holster route, it would be easier to use while wearing a fanny pack when I am hiking.
    God bless our troops!

Links