Cartridge Discussion: .25 ACP - Page 4

Cartridge Discussion: .25 ACP

This is a discussion on Cartridge Discussion: .25 ACP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; .22 and .25 caliber handguns make nice paperweights. If you don't want to become a paperweight yourself carry .38 Special/9mm and up....

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Cartridge Discussion: .25 ACP

.22 and .25 caliber handguns make nice paperweights. If you don't want to become a paperweight yourself carry .38 Special/9mm and up.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

Hey if it;s good enough for James Bond, it's good enough for me.

List of James Bond firearms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Texas Red likes this.

Hi bmcgilvray & all,

I recently went on a pocket auto "jag" and wound up with three Beretta .25's: Mods. 20, 950BS, and 418. Carried one a few times as backup to something larger. With all the (admittedly amateur) testing I've done with 200g bullets in .38 S&W and .38 SPL, however, I wound up deciding to stick pretty much with them, especially after I found that a belly band holster conceals a snubbie or my Remington 51 (classic .380) as well or better as an ankle holster did my .25's. Admittedly, a .25 can fit all kinds of other places, but I wound up deciding that I could hide something bigger with just a bit more effort.

I enjoyed shooting those three Berettas, but since $$$ are limited for my shooting hobby, they were sacrificed to help pay for .38's (and a 1911A1 .45 for HD, plus several shotguns). Never shot anything with the .25's except paper, etc., so no experience to offer in terminal ballistics :-) In several hundred rounds thru the 3 Berettas, I experienced only one FTF, so no complaints about reliability. The .25 doubtless serves effectively in many cases when a good guy produces one unexpectedly, when a BG has mistaken him for easy pickings. Of course, I suspect its deterrence factor was somewhat higher back in the good ol' days of peritonitis!

RKM
    I've only shot a .25 ACP once, but I thought it was a lot of fun!

"...or my Remington 51...'

I've long wanted one of those. Shot one way back when I was young that my uncle had. Great handling and very flat .380 design.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have a Titan .25 imported from Italy by FIE Miami. I have shot 1 box through it with no malfunctions. It was fun to shoot. The ammo is too expensive for a plinking gun. I have a Keltec P3at if I want to pocket carry. My plinking handgun is a Ruger 22/45 Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishshavers View Post
    I have a Titan .25 imported from Italy by FIE Miami. I have shot 1 box through it with no malfunctions. It was fun to shoot. The ammo is too expensive for a plinking gun. I have a Keltec P3at if I want to pocket carry. My plinking handgun is a Ruger 22/45 Hunter.
    I also have the FIE Titan, bought it years ago just for kicks. Never my first choice in pistols to carry, but on occasions have dropped it into my pocket just to have something when a full sized firearm wasn't practical to carry.

The round may be low-powered but it still can kill a person in the right circumstances. Just recently in my hometown, some kid who used to play ball and lift weights with us old dudes at the YMCA used one to kill a guy in an apartment for unapparent reasons. I guess it was the only handgun he could acquire but it was deadly.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

This was a great read. As for .25s I always remember an account I read of an elderly gentleman who committed suicide with a .25.

He just lost his wife of many years (I don't remember how many). He was despondent and alone so he decided to join her. The account was reconstructed based on evidence at the scene, blood trails etc.

He laid in bed and placed the .25 on his chest and shot himself. He got up, walked to the bathroom and checked the mirror (to see if he really shot himself, I guess). He went back to bed and did the same thing, shot himself and walked to the bathroom mirror and back. He shot himself a third time and put the gun down, folded his hands across his chest, and died an undetermined amount of time later. This was an elderly guy who wanted to die who shot himself at contact distance three times before succumbing to his wounds.

OTOH I knew of a cop who took a .25 through the eye and was dead on scene. YMMV
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

I also have the FIE Titan, bought it years ago just for kicks. Never my first choice in pistols to carry, but on occasions have dropped it into my pocket just to have something when a full sized firearm wasn't practical to carry.
    The FIT Titan is my primary carry handgun. After I repaired the slide damage it has never failed me once through hundreds of rounds. Feeds hollowpoints like a champ too.
    I've trained with this thing plenty to feel confident if I ever had to use it...hopefully never. Around my parts though stray dogs seem to be more of a threat than criminals.
    Tayopo likes this.

Wow, this is way more than I ever wanted to know about .25's! VERY GOOD research though! Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    This the most Info I've seen on the .25 auto in years, the gun rags have all but forgot the little guy.

30 years ago or so when magnums were all the rage I bought my wife a Bauer .25 a stainless steel copy of the baby Browning,pretty it was, satin stainless with "mother of pimp" grips. Well my wife was (and still is) a very good shot with her 4 inch .38 special Colt Diamondback & could hold her own with my .357 mag. & was almost as good with my .44 mag.

Anyway Christmas morning she opens the little silver box containing the Bauer & smiles, hefts the little gun in her hand, turns it over thens lays it down smiles again and says "I don't get it" ? I say" I'ts a semi-auto you've shot semi-auto handguns before, what don't you get"? She says "I mean what am I supposed to do with it"? "Throw it at 'em"?

Well the little Bauer did find a home in her purse for a number of years but I did what guys do-- I traded it off.
    After reading this thread I want the darn thing back. Guess that's why we have gun shows--------

This was really an interesting read and I had two .25s, a Raven and a Titan. I liked my Raven for the accuracy as I shot it at 25 yards and all appear on the target. I carried the Titan though because I can carry with a round in the pipe and the hammer on half cock. Also it was an extra round with a full mag behind it. I knew my limits when it comes to SD but I had the advantage over the knife, club and fist which I'll more likely encounter when I'm bar hopping.

Luckily I didn't have to pull the gun even though one guy threatened me with a knife who I was able to cool off.

I agree, great thread. Thanks to all the contributors.

I won an online gun auction for a Barreta .25. Made a "just because" lowball bid and got it. Never shot one so after picking it up I stopped at Academy and bought a box of Blaser ammo. CRAP $17.95 a box. Oh well wife and I went out and shot it. Worked well, no FTF or any other issues. Shot 1 mag each. Not really impressed. My LC9 is just as comfortable to carry and ammo is half. Never had a Barreta so it will find a place in the safe till the next local gun show or trip to LGS to trade.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    the 25acp is a fun cartrage cause it comes out or a neat little gun--in its orginal design by the master.

not recently, but over the years many women wanted to train with it cause it was a gun that their mom or gran mom had.
    better that than nothing till keltec started with the little 32's. since than it has always been easy to get people to 'trade up' from a 25.

i have ammo and dies for it but darned if i can find a gun in my field of view.

anyone have a nice Colt for around $79.00 they want to part with?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links