9mm ammo choice

9mm ammo choice

This is a discussion on 9mm ammo choice within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; which 9mm would u carry in a GLOCK 19C for CC...

View Poll Results: which 9mm ammo to use for G19C

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • WInchester Ranger 147G SXT

12 33.33%
  • Winchester Ranger 115 +P+

10 27.78%
  • Hornady TAP 147G

9 25.00%
  • Winchester SXZ TACTICAL 115G

1 2.78%
  • Winchester Supreme 147G SXT

0 0%
  • Hornady Custom 147G XTP

4 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm ammo choice

9mm ammo choice

which 9mm would u carry in a GLOCK 19C for CC

none of the above. I use Winchester Ranger SXT 124 Grain +P. SCGunGuy here on the forum hooked me up with the SXT 124 Grain +P when I could not find any.

The same I'm using now. Speer 124gr +p GDHP. I'm also a fan of Remington's Golden Saber in all three of my calibers. I feel it inconsequential to go with current market hype or something more expensive than what I already employ for carry. I also found a car wax that works really good for my vehicles, I have no reason to change to any other product. I'll stick with my choices. If the ones listed in the poll were the only ones available, I'd probably pick the first one I saw on the shelf. If they all were in front of me on the shelf, I'd probably pick the cheapest. If they were all the same price, I'd probably pick Hornady just because I use some of their rifle bullets for reloading.

See there are some great 9mm rounds out there. However, they still take a double-tap to get the pepper-popper to fall. But most BG's don't have body armor.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Black Hills loaded 124 grain XTP.

Why?

Because at the time it was the best quality ammo in the biggest boxes at the best price.

Next time I switch out ammo, I'll be going with 147 grain from Black Hills because I got the best deal on that when I recently stocked up.

I've carried 115gr+p+ federal hi-shock, 147gr Ranger Talon and just about everything in between from the major ammo companies.

I really don't care what I carry so long as it is well made, feeds reliably and is accurate.

Of your choices...eh. Hell, go with the 147 Grain Ranger Talon. Its accurate, reliable, soft shooting and goes deep.

I carry the Remington Golden Saber Bonded 124+P in my G26. I voted for the Winchester Ranger 115 +P+ as I am partial to the lighter rounds in 9mm, especially for the short barreled pistols.
    Last edited by crzy4guns; May 23rd, 2008 at 08:43 AM. Reason: grammatical error
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I suggest you use what your local LEO's carry - if they carry 9mm. I've recently spoken with a number of seasoned shooters, mostly ex-LEO or practicing attorneys who have all told me this. Their rationale is it takes away the arguement that "you tried to kill him didn't you?" The answer is, of course, "no, I stopped the threat." The banter gets heated then transitions into "but you still killed him. Why did you select THIS bullet? Is it because it kills faster than any other?" The very disarming reply is, "because that's what my local agency issues to its officers. In fact, it's issued by the three largest municipalities in Colorado (happens to be Federal Hydra-Shock here). They have very experienced people who are paid to determine the proper ammunition for this environment and know a lot more than me." I heard the same thing in my circles in Florida.

Even in a Castle Doctrine state, it's better to remove as many arguable points as possible when put into a defensive situation (legally speaking, of course).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I suggest you use what your local LEO's carry - ...
    Nice.

Open yourself up to the accusation of being a cop wanna-be?

Nope.

Why did you chose that bullet...

"It was the best quality bullet at the best price from a major manufacturer that was available in the largest box at the time..."

The fact that a major police department uses that bullet...well, that is simply a bonus, but has nothing to do with your decision to buy it.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Nice.

Open yourself up to the accusation of being a cop wanna-be?
    I disagree. One's actions might support your position, not bullet selection. Now if you wear tactical gear, handcuffs, have a scanner in your car or otherwise act like a cop wanna-be, sure, I'll agree with you. If I own an AR-15, does that make me some sort of LEO/MIL wanna-be? Or would the manner in which I use that EBR determine that?
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I really like corbon ammo, but since that wasn't a choice I chose the Hornady ammo..I think a good 9mm ammo needs to be 147 grain
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Don't have a Glock, but I have Corbon 115gr JHP +p in my 9mm (don't carry yet, but I'm working on it). Just the regular Corbon, not the DPX--my local shop didn't have the DPX.

I keep it in my gunh for a few different reasons:
    1) recommended to me by a knowledgeable friend
    2) after researching a bit, I see how the lighter 115gr bullet can leave my 3.5in barrel at a significantly higher speed than the 147gr FMJ.
    3) the higher speed plus expanding JHP bullet should mean better penetration but still minimal risk of through-and-through.

One of these days I'll do some of my own ballistics tests on some different ammo, but for right now I'm satisfied.

None of those in the poll. My 9mm's, (I have three) are loaded with Cor-Bon 115-gr +P JHP. I do have some Remington 115-gr +P+ in the backup magazines, because I don't have enough Cor-Bons, and I just haven't bothered to buy more.
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

Quote Originally Posted by UtahRSO View Post
    None of those in the poll. My 9mm's, (I have three) are loaded with Cor-Bon 115-gr +P JHP. I do have some Remington 115-gr +P+ in the backup magazines, because I don't have enough Cor-Bons, and I just haven't bothered to buy more.
    Hey, is that the DPX or the regular? And have you compared the two? I'd be interested in hearing from personal experience if the DPX is worth the extra $$. Thanks!

none of the above. Federal HST. reliable, effective, and cheap. expands better and bigger than any of the ammo you listed.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Federal HST 147g

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links